• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2016 5:10 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2013
369 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke

Rogers Home Phone-Do you like it???

Dealers, got to get out of bHELL home phone...they are the epitome of arrogance.
Planning to get Rogers Home Phone and would love to know what you think of it,if you are a customer/user...
I know its wireless and will probably not work if power fails but what i would like to hear about is the hook-up/ voice quality/ general usage experience of RFD'ers here.
Appreciate any and all comments.
Thanks in advance. ;)
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5501 posts
403 upvotes
The ZTE box from Rogers/fido came with a backup battery. It will stay up for about 24 hours, make sure you have a corded phone.

Hook up is very easy - just insert the SIM card, plug in the power, RJ11 to the wall (or demarc), make sure the box gets a green reception light.
Voice quality - same as cell phone
experience - good, but direct dial LD is rather expensive (get your phone card)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1260 posts
760 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
I using bHELL home phone too, the call quality is OK but they make a different bill for me every month, that is horrible.
Consider to change company.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14662 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
I just switched from Bell to Rogers for landline. I'm giving them a chance.
When the power goes out, if my line goes directly to voice mail I will not be happy.
What good is a 6 hour battery back up on the modem if something else is the problem? (maybe?)
That's why I held onto bell for as long as I could. Many people in my neighborhood were complaining that (no ring) Voicemail is exactly what you get when the power is out, no matter what with Rogers landline.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We've had Rogers Home Phone since it became available in our area, which is at least 5+ years, likely even longer than that. Never had any significant issue other than one time when all of our Rogers services went down for a day. Call quality is good, rates are as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5501 posts
403 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2016 6:28 pm
What good is a 6 hour battery back up on the modem if something else is the problem? (maybe?)
That's why I held onto bell for as long as I could. Many people in my neighborhood were complaining that (no ring) Voicemail is exactly what you get when the power is out, no matter what with Rogers landline.
Try the rogers wireless home phone, it runs off of the GSM network.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2013
369 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
tomtomtom wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 4:24 pm
The ZTE box from Rogers/fido came with a backup battery. It will stay up for about 24 hours, make sure you have a corded phone.

Hook up is very easy - just insert the SIM card, plug in the power, RJ11 to the wall (or demarc), make sure the box gets a green reception light.
Voice quality - same as cell phone
experience - good, but direct dial LD is rather expensive (get your phone card)
Are you saying that you still have phone service for 24 hrs if power goes out???
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5501 posts
403 upvotes
rmyly48 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 8:58 am
Are you saying that you still have phone service for 24 hrs if power goes out???
Yes. I have unplugged the power to the box for a day in the past. Still works.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1806 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
It's cheap and it works. Dont know what else ur lookin for. Got it in a retention deal... 5-6 features, canada wide calling. $19 bucks. As for the actual fone I have a panny 6.0 that was on sale at BB. The fone makes a big difference as to quality. As they say u get what u pay for...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jun 3, 2010
808 posts
208 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have the Rogers Home Phone for many years now. All-in-all it works pretty good. There is enough battery backup to keep the phone modem running...But note that in a complete power failure of the area (i.e. your building loses power) you will be without Internet and although there is power to the phone modem, the signal will not go out because there is no Rogers Internet line available.

That has only happened to me twice in the past 10 years...so it's not like this is a deal breaker. You probably have a cell phone as well...so that would be your backup in any case.

Just wanted to post this point.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
toram23901 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 10:34 am
I have the Rogers Home Phone for many years now. All-in-all it works pretty good. There is enough battery backup to keep the phone modem running...But note that in a complete power failure of the area (i.e. your building loses power) you will be without Internet and although there is power to the phone modem, the signal will not go out because there is no Rogers Internet line available.

That has only happened to me twice in the past 10 years...so it's not like this is a deal breaker. You probably have a cell phone as well...so that would be your backup in any case.

Just wanted to post this point.
toram, would that be applicable for those in multi unit buildings such as a condominium?

You lose internet when the power goes out because the modem no longer has power. The phone box Rogers uses does not rely on the modem in any way. The cable line comes into your home, and into a splitter. The splitter has lines that go you the phone box, your modem, and TV connections. The phone box has a battery which allows the phone to function normally (provided you have at least 1 hard wired phone).

Though this setup may not be normal in a condominium as you'll have a master line that runs into the building itself before being split to each individual unit. Would there be a unit at the main line level that kills all services if the power goes out?
Jun 3, 2010
808 posts
208 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wood0209 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 12:26 pm
toram, would that be applicable for those in multi unit buildings such as a condominium?

You lose internet when the power goes out because the modem no longer has power. The phone box Rogers uses does not rely on the modem in any way. The cable line comes into your home, and into a splitter. The splitter has lines that go you the phone box, your modem, and TV connections. The phone box has a battery which allows the phone to function normally (provided you have at least 1 hard wired phone).

Though this setup may not be normal in a condominium as you'll have a master line that runs into the building itself before being split to each individual unit. Would there be a unit at the main line level that kills all services if the power goes out?
I would expect that if it was just your unit not having power, the phone line would still work, since the actual cable line is directly going into the phone modem (a separate line goes to the cable modem for Internet). But in the two cases that I had no phone service, one was in a condo and the other was in a house. Both times, it was a neighborhood outage.

In the case of my condo incident, a local transformer blew...I actually saw the box blow from my window. I just happened to be looking out at the fog (it was a very foggy night) and all of a sudden, everything went blue, and then everything went dark in the whole neighborhood.

The house incident was a local power failure that knocked out my whole block.

In both cases, the power failure was larger than my own unit, so I would expect that the cable junction that connects to my home needs power as well...and if that is not on a back up system, you will be SOL when a power failure hits. But there is not much you can do to prevent that.

Like I said, it has only happened to me twice in the past 10 years, so pretty low chance in my opinion.