• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 12:23 am
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2967 posts
482 upvotes
Scarborough

Rogers Ignite TV-Did anyone get it?

I wanted to migrate to the Ignite TV but the price is ridiculous. I have made many calls to Rogers and even chatted with the management team, nothing they can do about the pricing.

Just wanted to see if anyone did get it if you did how is it and head the new modem is better.
Telus: $50/100GB CAN/US 5G+
Rogers $34/40GB 5G+
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
I was offered this, but I'm not rich and do not have so much disposable income for the $200 dollar monthly fee that you CANT BUDGE ON. Sorry but "I CANT AFFORD IT" so I said no thanks and hung up politely on them.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2967 posts
482 upvotes
Scarborough
GoodFellaz wrote: I was offered this, but I'm not rich and do not have so much disposable income for the $200 dollar monthly fee that you CANT BUDGE ON. Sorry but "I CANT AFFORD IT" so I said no thanks and hung up politely on them.

Same here. $200 is a hell of money for tv. Bells tv and internet package is much cheaper but I won’t go with them. Only 25 mbps internet available in area (Markham and Sheppard). It pisses me off that they won’t even budge on the pricing.

Was hoping to grab this before the hockey season but I guess not.
Rogers $34/40GB 5G+
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Basically it's robbers version of apple tv. Prices are outrageous. At least with apple tv or equivalent you pay once in full for the box and no other fees (other than internet cost). The problem with apple tv is there are no adapter boxes if you have more than 1 tv. So you have to buy multiple boxes which sucks. In the long run still cheaper than paying $2400/annum ignite tv versus 3 x $200 apple tv, one time charge for 3 tv's.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
IGNITE TV = BS!

Waste of your hard earned money.

Absolutely rubbish!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers won't budge on their new BS TV service because they have to recover their share of the $500 million investment they lost with Shaw when they deep six their own IP-TV service last year. Now they went to Comcast for this service. I wonder how much of that $200/mth goes to Comcast!
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
Yup, way too expensive, even the Ignite starter bundle is $150 per month, starter TV is $25 pm so you're paying $125 pm for cable 150 and home phone. When they see people aren't biting they will allow you to get the TV service without internet from Rogers directly as long as you have cable 150+ service from a Rogers reseller. And they will eventually try to force/entice existing TV customers to switch to Ignite when our now obsolete HD boxes break down.

https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ign ... e/channels
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1609 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Too much money. And after all the trouble I had with their CODA modem I am very wary of the new modem too.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
I can't help but wonder why Shaw BluSky or Telus Optik are not offering their service in Ontario. There has to be some collusion going on here; there is zero infrastructure required, everyone has an internet connection so what's holding them back? Looks to me like a Rogers/Shaw & Telus agreement of you don't shit on my lawn and I won't shit on yours. Competition Bureau?? Where are you??
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: I can't help but wonder why Shaw BluSky or Telus Optik are not offering their service in Ontario. There has to be some collusion going on here; there is zero infrastructure required, everyone has an internet connection so what's holding them back? Looks to me like a Rogers/Shaw & Telus agreement of you don't shit on my lawn and I won't shit on yours. Competition Bureau?? Where are you??
Shaw used to offer cable service in Scarborough Ontario. They shook hands with Rogers as a trade deal.
No more Rogers in Vancouver (give or take) and as a result, no more Shaw cable in Ontario. (Hamilton excluded, as Shaw bought Mountain cable there)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote: I can't help but wonder why Shaw BluSky or Telus Optik are not offering their service in Ontario. There has to be some collusion going on here; there is zero infrastructure required, everyone has an internet connection so what's holding them back? Looks to me like a Rogers/Shaw & Telus agreement of you don't shit on my lawn and I won't shit on yours. Competition Bureau?? Where are you??
There was a BS CRTC ruling pushed through by Rogers and Bell that IPTV services can only be offered if you also have internet with the IPTV provider, this prevents other legitimate IPTV providers like vmedia and zazeen from providing you tv if you're on an internet provider that doesn't provide IPTV.

So if Shaw or Telus wanted to provide optik or bluesky they would have to provide internet services in Ontario.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
SAN66 wrote: There was a BS CRTC ruling pushed through by Rogers and Bell that IPTV services can only be offered if you also have internet with the IPTV provider, this prevents other legitimate IPTV providers like vmedia and zazeen from providing you tv if you're on an internet provider that doesn't provide IPTV.

So if Shaw or Telus wanted to provide optik or bluesky they would have to provide internet services in Ontario.
That’s what i meant...the whole thing is so corrupt. Why doesn’t net neutrality apply here? How can they pick and choose when it applies and when it doesn’t? Ot’s exactly like if they would only let your isp provide voip...our tax dollars at work...
Aug 30, 2017
262 posts
178 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
I freely admit that It may be my ignorance but after I skimmed the flyer promoting it that came a couple of weeks back I am baffled as to what would be the attraction to me.

Couldn’t figure out how it would be any different than cable. I am sure there are differences but they didn’t seem significant enough to justify the massive price jump.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2967 posts
482 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone have pricing updates? I have had no luck in getting a better price then the advertised pricing..
Rogers $34/40GB 5G+
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
ninety5teg wrote: Anyone have pricing updates? I have had no luck in getting a better price then the advertised pricing..
Rumour has it Ignite bundle promotions will start this spring (2019).

dookiemoore wrote: I freely admit that It may be my ignorance but after I skimmed the flyer promoting it that came a couple of weeks back I am baffled as to what would be the attraction to me.

Couldn’t figure out how it would be any different than cable. I am sure there are differences but they didn’t seem significant enough to justify the massive price jump.
Once you have had cloud PVR and download and go TV service, etc., it's hard to go back. I was on Bell Fibe TV with those features and while their platform does need work, I really miss those features now that I'm back on Rogers Digital TV.

BTW, the reason I'm back on the legacy Rogers is because my 2-year Bell Fibe contract is done and Bell retentions wasn't playing ball for pricing, while Ignite on Rogers is similarly priced to Bell Fibe's regular priced options. So, I'm on Rogers Digital TV since in my situation it is literally half the price with a new Rogers customer promotion.

Here's hoping the rumours are true that spring will bring Ignite TV for a reasonable price.
Feb 1, 2019
1 posts
seriously don’t get it.
We were with Rogers for a few years. When ignite came out we decided to give it a try. Worst decision l. It is expensive for absolutely no reason. You would have the same experience joining up a 10 year old wii to your TV. It lags constantly, because it runs on the internet. Channels will freeze or lose audio at least 4 times during the day. We have the highest speed of internet and a brand new modem and it can’t keep up. Our internet blacks out at least twice a day for about 5-10 minutes. Phones and everything have no access. What they have done is make their standard guide navigation on regular cable so terrible it forces people to switch. We never had a problem with our internet before. Watching TV on one TV and using Wifi on 4 cellphones should not be asking too much. All hell breaks lose if someone decides to watch netflix at the same time. Or god forbid someone plays a video game online. We called to ask how they could fix this for use and their response was if you can’t afford it you shouldn’t have it. LOL is that a joke 1 no one should pay this ridiculous pricing and 2 the service is flawed and not worth it.
To be fair the only pro I see is that you can have tvs hooked up without a cable plug in near, but if that is not a necessity for you I don’t see the point.
I guess it could be my area that has poor connection? (east of toronto) but we now pay more for the same features as our apple tv, tv shoes and movies that buffer and shitty internet.