• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 9:07 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2013
7 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Rogers Increase of 13%!

Just got my most recent Rogers TV bill. Incredible what they charge now. Basic cable went from $37.49 a month to $42.49 a month. That's an increase of 13.3%! Guess I'm paying for all those cable cutters out there...
11 replies
Nov 28, 2011
680 posts
182 upvotes
Markham
Easy solution
cut the cable and go with Netflix/kodi/torrent
problem solved
Sep 8, 2016
52 posts
23 upvotes
bartium wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:08 pm
Easy solution
cut the cable and go with Netflix/kodi/torrent
problem solved
Do you still get news or current events with those? You still need Rogers for internet hook up?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2407 posts
42 upvotes
It is called a newspaper? I get my news from that, online sites, youtube videos etc. There are many ways around it. And yes you can still be with Rogers internet without their cable. I use teksavvy for my internet which is pretty much Rogers but none of their prices. I don't have cable, my home phone is some random internet phone company and my cell phone is Telus. Just because there is a big 3, does not mean you are stuck with all their products. Yes you might save some money for a bundle but my piece meal plans save me much more than their bundle prices.
Mstewd wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:56 pm
Do you still get news or current events with those? You still need Rogers for internet hook up?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15550 posts
983 upvotes
Mstewd wrote:
Numerous companies sell internet.

For news http://news.google.ca , http://www.cbsnews.com (streaming news channel from CBS News), AM radio news stations...plenty more options
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:07 pm
P.S. The RCA751 is one of the best antennas you can get. Not too expensive to buy, compact in size so it can be easily located in the attic or balcony (mine is in the attic) and great reception of all channels between 2 and 69. Oh, and the pic is better than Rogers HD, or Bell satellite.
Looks interesting after a quick glance at Amazon.ca reviews. WIll have to see if it's worth upgrading from my Digiwave ANT-2084
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27336 posts
1779 upvotes
Winnipeg
CoryL2845 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:57 pm
Just got my most recent Rogers TV bill. Incredible what they charge now. Basic cable went from $37.49 a month to $42.49 a month. That's an increase of 13.3%! Guess I'm paying for all those cable cutters out there...
they need to pay me more than that to get me sit through commercials
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1341 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:07 pm
Get a RCA751 and you won't need to pay for cable TV. Use TekSavvy and you could save a good amount each month for your internet. And if voip.ms, or other similar services is too much work for you, get Primus voip - tell them you want a 2 year contract at $16/month. Comes with more than a dozen features, 100% reliable and quality as good as Bell landline.

P.S. The RCA751 is one of the best antennas you can get. Not too expensive to buy, compact in size so it can be easily located in the attic or balcony (mine is in the attic) and great reception of all channels between 2 and 69. Oh, and the pic is better than Rogers HD, or Bell satellite.
Won't save money with Teksavvy..they're as expensive as Rogers with even worst service
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2746 posts
183 upvotes
Mstewd wrote:
If you live in house you can get several local channels from a basic HD antenna .
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15550 posts
983 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 10:31 am
I installed mine a few years ago. Bought it at Walmart across the border for about $40. I also bought an Antenna Direct Clearstream 2 for $80 at the same time. After trying both, I couldn't find any difference in reception, or quality of pic/sound. But somehow I preferred the pic provided by the RCA (very subjective). I was surprised when a few days ago I went to Amazon.com and saw more than 4,000 reviews of the RCA751 with 89% of them giving either a 4 or 5 star rating out of 5. Never heard of Digiwave until I went to Canada Computers a few days ago. I read some reviews and they ain't the best.

I'm in the process of trying to see if I could get more than the 16 HD channels I'm getting. Looking at other antennas (but those are like 10'+ long). Make sure to go to TVFOOL and enter your coordinates to see what are your possibilities.
I'm familiar with TV fool however, it is subjective since factors like trees can give you fewer stations that it lists. That's my case which is why the RCA one you listed looked interesting since it's reviews commend it for it's ability to receive channels without a direct line of sight.

Digiwave doesn't have the best rep however, the ANT-2084 does get good reviews. 4.2 with 159 reviews: https://www.amazon.ca/Digiwave-ANT2084- ... B002HEQEFC

However, it doesn't have VHF reception for CFTO (CTV Toronto) and needs a direct line of sight for best reception (which I don't have at my location).

But they are CHEAP and an excellent "starter" antenna to try OTA. However, I've been mulling over a more "pro" antenna like a Clear Stream or Wineguard but the RCA one seems be as well respected as them and cheaper to boot!
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15550 posts
983 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 2:17 pm
I would definitely recommend you try the RCA first. I sold my Clearstream 2 on Kijiji quite easily. In the end it only cost me $20 to be able to try a Clearstream 2 and given how much I'm saving by not paying Rogers for TV, it is a bargain. I might try a "GE PRO outdoor/attic antenna" just to see. Though I doubt I will get more than with my RCA.

If you install it in the attic or roof, I suggest you get something like an Electroline or Antronix 15 amps amplifier close to the antenna (you might be able to get one used from a store selling antennas). The reviews on the bag are good. It is real canvas and not the plastic type reusable bags like Walmart or Food Basics etc sell however, some reviewers state the canvas isn't that thich and...wow...$18 for a bag? Reminds me why I don't shop at The Bay.

Also the colour sceme, although doesn't directly advertise The Bay, does use their "blanket" colour scheme so it can be associated with the store.I'm using an Antronix (from the cable era) and the difference it makes is that 2 or 3 stations that would occasionally break are always perfect all the time. Also make sure to use RG-6 cable (quad shield if you can). The shorter the cable the better.
Unfortunately I'm in ground floor housing so I can't mount in an attic or roof. However, I have been thinking about if RG-6 cable would be better since what I have now is a normal cable TV cable I had lying around when I cut the cord.
Jun 23, 2016
22 posts
1 upvote
London
Get unlimited bandwidth and run a long HDMI cable from your PC to TV. Then just netflix and torrent away. Surely there are news sites that allow free streaming?

Rogers is annoying. They provide overpriced internet plans that don't give you enough bandwidth to keep up with technology. They also won't tell you when the current package you're on has increased in bandwidth when they finally do increase it. I bet there are thousands of people paying 80$ still for 60GB per month from a plan they've had since 2008.