Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1206 posts
26 upvotes

Rogers internet

Just curious to know, so I inquired about Roger's student deal 3 weeks ago with some random guy who advertised on a Chinese website, today someone other than the this person called following up my inquiry and trying to offer me a better deal, then after I got this person's contact info, he told me he will get another guy who speaks Cantonese to call me to explain further... so what does that work ? are they contractors for Rogers or something ? how do they split the commission if any ?
:cheesygri ;) :o :idea: :confused: > :( :twisted: :rolleyes: :mad: :| :cool: :D :-0 :eek: :!:

2005 Toyota Sienna CE (DO NOT BUY - CLICK HERE)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4039 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
Why don't you just get the same internet cheaper through something like TekSavvy?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1206 posts
26 upvotes
The rogers deal includes the modem, free installation and no activation fee for $ 42 + tax a month , and Teksavvy is $ 39.95 + tax a month, I need to buy a good modem for $ 109 , activation $ 65 and not even sure if they would include installation. with that said, Rogers seems to offer a better deal.

btw, I read somewhere that ppl with this package is being throttled for p2p traffice, anyone heard the same ?
:cheesygri ;) :o :idea: :confused: > :( :twisted: :rolleyes: :mad: :| :cool: :D :-0 :eek: :!:

Nov 9, 2008
800 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
bestjsg wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 1:37 pm
The rogers deal includes the modem, free installation and no activation fee for $ 42 + tax a month , and Teksavvy is $ 39.95 + tax a month, I need to buy a good modem for $ 109 , activation $ 65 and not even sure if they would include installation. with that said, Rogers seems to offer a better deal.

btw, I read somewhere that ppl with this package is being throttled for p2p traffice, anyone heard the same ?
Rogers throttles all p2p traffic. If you don't want to be throttled, go with another provider (Teksavvy, Distributel, Acanac etc)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1206 posts
26 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 1:45 pm
Rogers throttles all p2p traffic. If you don't want to be throttled, go with another provider (Teksavvy, Distributel, Acanac etc)
I did some research on that too and according to this tool with my postal code , my area is not throttled.

www.rogers.com/traffic

just not sure how sure it is , but I suppose if they put that on their website , it should have some credibility ? or no ?

Nov 9, 2008
800 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
bestjsg wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 1:49 pm
I did some research on that too and according to this tool with my postal code , my area is not throttled.

www.rogers.com/traffic

just not sure how sure it is , but I suppose if they put that on their website , it should have some credibility ? or no ?
I wasn't aware they had this tool. Good on them I suppose, but I would still stick with one of the other 3rd party providers. You also won't have the ridiculously low bandwidth cap that Rogers imposes with any of the other providers.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4039 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
Ugh, so what cap are you going to get with Rogers for $42? 60GB? LOL
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1206 posts
26 upvotes
ViperZ wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 4:03 pm
Ugh, so what cap are you going to get with Rogers for $42? 60GB? LOL
should have included it, it is 300 GB a month

Apr 24, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
Roger's Pros and Cons
I dunno about this new Roger's plan.
With my plan, modem rental is not included (only free for the 1st year).
It was throttled till 2012 April (Scarborough), which then I cancelled with Rogers.
Tech support wise, Rogers has being slow but succeesfully solved my issue.

Teksavvy's Pros and Cons
The activation fee IS the installation fee.
When you receive the modem, you need to connect it yourself and make a phone call to Teksavvy to activate it.
I do not experience any throttle with Teksavvy.
Tech-support wise, Teksavvy guy is friendlier, but can't get anything done.
Because hard-wire support is still through Rogers.
Both a friend of mine and myself had gone through this pinging, tracing, and malfunction modem to get our internet fully working with Teksavvy.

Conclusion
If you can get some discount for each additional service you sign up (like phone and cable), Rogers may be a better deal.
If you are willing to put up with the tech support AND going to use the modem for at least 2 years, I recommened Teksavvy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1206 posts
26 upvotes
thanks everyone for your replies, decided to give Rogers a try, I can always cancel since there is no contract...( will cancel right away if they throttle me...LOL)

× < >