• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2017 4:49 pm
[OP]
Jan 2, 2013
894 posts
97 upvotes
Etobicoke

Rogers Internet 5$ increase

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to post this in, but I received a letter from Rogers today about 5$ increase monthly on home internet bill.

Anyone else?
(Mississauga, btw.)
33 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13093 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
Probably everyone not on contract gets the annual increase. The solution is to look up the ongoing deals thread and see what you can get on contract.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4813 posts
1259 upvotes
Space
I got this today as well. 5$ increase on internet and another 5$ on tv. Kinda pissed to say the least. That's about a 10% rate hike on both services in my case. I'm on a 2 year contract ( 1 year remaining ). Calling in usually gets the rate hike credited for the remaining term, so try that.
Apr 20, 2015
85 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If your in contract how can they change the terms and if they can what is the point of a contract and can you cancel now because they have changed the terms?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Pisidan wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 7:20 am
If your in contract how can they change the terms and if they can what is the point of a contract and can you cancel now because they have changed the terms?
They don't....It's to let you know at end of contract price will be going up

A lot better than companies like teksavvy that can raise rates whenever they want
Sep 2, 2005
579 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
If you're on contract for another year, can you use this increase as an excuse to get out of your current contract?

I'm assuming they can't increase it until it's over, but I want my parents out of their current contract with Rogers.
Mar 20, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
zaius wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:59 am
If you're on contract for another year, can you use this increase as an excuse to get out of your current contract?

I'm assuming they can't increase it until it's over, but I want my parents out of their current contract with Rogers.
Legally speaking, if they unilaterally change the terms of the contract, you could either sue to keep existing terms or, if they begin to charge you the $5, this would likely equate to a fundamental breach of the contract, meaning you're not bound by it either.

So, i would phone them and announce the good news as soon as they bill you - you're no longer under contract and can negotiate new terms.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5914 posts
516 upvotes
SW Ontario
zaius wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:59 am

I called them but was told my pricing is guaranteed for the duration of my contract. So maybe it depends? The letter made it look like my pricing would be going up.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
I got one too and im on a 2 yr contract (internet only). maybe they should have just sent those letters out to those who got affected (people not on contracts). What a waste of paper.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Aug 22, 2014
157 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It's their business cycle.
Customer acquisition cycle - good deals to get customers in.
ARPU (average revenue per user) cycle, ratchet up the costs and hope the majority don't jump ship.
May 3, 2005
980 posts
63 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got the letter about the increase as well. $5 more for basic cable. Considering that we hardly use our cable package these days, even with the PVR for life, I think it might be time to cancel this thing. We either stream or use the OTA antenna for all our viewing these days.
Sep 2, 2005
579 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Just called Rogers. If you're still on contract, you get your current rate until it ends.

Unfortunately, just to break the contract, it's $10/month for every month remaining in the contract. Those ^&*$#($)(&s

The Internet Overage Fee (from $1.50/gb to $3/gb) applies though.

I'll assume that the maximum monthly internet overage amount will change from $100 to $200 as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2131 posts
387 upvotes
Just got the letter too...thanks for the advice everyone!
Jun 1, 2004
383 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I recently signed up for a 2-year contract. I got the letter and called to confirm.

Apparently, there's two types of "contracts" -- fixed and non-fixed. If you're on the latter, they can do whatever they want, which of course, is total BS.

However, they will credit you the difference for a year if you ask. I'd have to call in next year for more credits.

I guess that's the risk when you sign up with one of Canada's Tycoon.