Computers & Electronics

Rogers internet modem stability? Hitron CODA-4582U etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 1:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers internet modem stability? Hitron CODA-4582U etc.

Got Rogers Gigabit Sunday this week. Today I woke up to no internet access. The appropriate lights were on blue or green (with the computer icon flashing). However, no internet and I couldn't access the modem via its IP address. So, I hard rebooted it and now it's fine. Indicator lights are the same.

My modem is the Hitron CODA-4582U (hardware version 2A software version 2.0.10.33T3), with a separate Home Phone modem. I use the modem for routing. 2.4 G WiFi is up, but is not used, since I'm using Airports as access points.

Is it common for the Hitron CODA-4582U to go down after a week, requiring a hard reset? Is the modem used Ignite TV the same one? Also, if it does go down, does it come back by itself, say after an hour or something?
Last edited by EugW on Jan 11th, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15324 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
I've had Rogers since last February and it's been stable for me; however, there was one instance in April or May when my house suffered a very brief power outage where the house lights quickly flashed off then on. This must have done something to the modem because I did a hard reset, loaded my backed up settings, and it's been fine for months.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:31 am
I've had Rogers since last February and it's been stable for me; however, there was one instance in April or May when my house suffered a very brief power outage where the house lights quickly flashed off then on. This must have done something to the modem because I did a hard reset, loaded my backed up settings, and it's been fine for months.
Thx. Do you have it bridge mode or as a router? Right now my Hitron modem is also doing the routing.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15324 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:35 am
Thx. Do you have it bridge mode or as a router? Right now my Hitron modem is also doing the routing.
I have the unit set up as a router/modem, not as a modem in bridge mode.

One thing I notice is that, sometimes, the unit won't show me the IP and mac address of the devices that are connected to my network. When I click refresh, it never finishes refreshing. Not a big deal unless I need a device's IP address to log into the device. I have a obi200 and wireless extender. I know I can set a static IP address for these devices but they seem to work better without manually assigning an address.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:03 am
I have the unit set up as a router/modem, not as a modem in bridge mode.

One thing I notice is that, sometimes, the unit won't show me the IP and mac address of the devices that are connected to my network. When I click refresh, it never finishes refreshing. Not a big deal unless I need a device's IP address to log into the device. I have a obi200 and wireless extender. I know I can set a static IP address for these devices but they seem to work better without manually assigning an address.
OK then at least some people have good results. I guess I'll just see how well this does going forward. Once a month or two wouldn't be the end of the world, but once a week would get tiresome.

The only things I have on fixed IP addresses are my two NASes (so they always know how to communicate with each other for backups), a WiFi access point (for configuration purposes), and my printer (since I often want to check its status). Everything else I leave on DHCP. So what I do is give my fixed IP devices numbers below x.192.168.100 and set my DHCP address range to x.192.168.100 and above.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29263 posts
15109 upvotes
Ottawa
Best is to bridge with a more capable router.
These modem/router combos will eventually suffer performance degradation as you have multiple devices connected.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:23 am
Best is to bridge with a more capable router.
These modem/router combos will eventually suffer performance degradation as you have multiple devices connected.
Are you talking WiFi, or even with Ethernet? I'm not using the modem's WiFi.

I got the impression with the Bell one, if you used both WiFi and Ethernet, it was less stable than if you just used Ethernet. (I have an Airport setup for WiFi.)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1646 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
I use mine in modem/router mode. I rarely have any issues. If the Internet goes down then most of the time it will come back on on it's own. I rarely have to unplug the modem (for 1 minute) and plug it back in. The white modem/router has been really stable for me for over a year now.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10548 posts
4782 upvotes
Brampton
Keep in mind too sometimes Rogers' pushes config changes or firmware updates to the modems and then they freeze up and require a reboot.

There was an incident a year ago where Rogers bricked a whole bunch of modems due to a bad firmware update.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29263 posts
15109 upvotes
Ottawa
EugW wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:26 am
Are you talking WiFi, or even with Ethernet? I'm not using the modem's WiFi.

I got the impression with the Bell one, if you used both WiFi and Ethernet, it was less stable than if you just used Ethernet. (I have an Airport setup for WiFi.)
I use one of the modem's port for my PC, the rest on the router for both lan/wifi.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15324 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have too many devices on wifi so this may be why I am getting good results with the Rogers modem handling DHCP for wired and wireless devices.
Nov 21, 2009
381 posts
178 upvotes
Moncton
EugW wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:21 am
Is it common for the Hitron CODA-4582U to go down after a week, requiring a hard reset? Is the modem used Ignite TV the same one? Also, if it does go down, does it come back by itself, say after an hour or something?
Common no, but not unheard of either. Some firmwares are worse than others; you're on 33T3 which might be a bit old. Mine is on 36T6. Check out the official Rogers forums; there are some really amazing community members that can help you troubleshoot.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:28 am
I use mine in modem/router mode. I rarely have any issues. If the Internet goes down then most of the time it will come back on on it's own. I rarely have to unplug the modem (for 1 minute) and plug it back in. The white modem/router has been really stable for me for over a year now.
Good to hear that some people here are having good results, but...
XOMTOR wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:48 am
Common no, but not unheard of either. Some firmwares are worse than others; you're on 33T3 which might be a bit old. Mine is on 36T6. Check out the official Rogers forums; there are some really amazing community members that can help you troubleshoot.
OK, will check it out. Interesting mine hasn't been updated yet after 5 days. I'll look into the forum, but I guess they'd stagger the updates... assuming they update it at all.
tebore wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:28 am
Keep in mind too sometimes Rogers' pushes config changes or firmware updates to the modems and then they freeze up and require a reboot.

There was an incident a year ago where Rogers bricked a whole bunch of modems due to a bad firmware update.
Ouch.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1646 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:55 am
Good to hear that some people here are having good results, but...
By any chance did you try to unplug the modem and then plug it back in after 1 min before resetting the modem?

There could be many reasons why the Internet was not coming back on. The service was down, Rogers was doing something with some cables down the street (I don't know what the technicians do; I'm just throwing this out there), firmware update, etc. Sometimes I had to reset my own routers/extenders after updating the firmware.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17002 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
By any chance did you try to unplug the modem and then plug it back in after 1 min before resetting the modem?
That's what I meant by hard reset. Unplugged the power cable.

I didn't do a factory reset.
There could be many reasons why the Internet was not coming back on. The service was down, Rogers was doing something with some cables down the street (I don't know what the technicians do; I'm just throwing this out there), firmware update, etc. Sometimes I had to reset my own routers/extenders after updating the firmware.
FWIW, Rogers Digital TV was still working, and so was Rogers Home Phone. If it did get a firmware update, it doesn't seem like it was to the lastest firmware, judging by XOMTOR's post.