Computers & Electronics

Rogers Internet - moving modem to different outlet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2007 5:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4715 posts
231 upvotes
Markham

Rogers Internet - moving modem to different outlet?

The technician hooked up the modem to a bedroom on 2nd floor; wondering if we can move the cable modem to a different outlet (should have TV signal) so that our wireless router is in a more central location (& improve wireless reception)

thoughts? suggestions?

using the Netgear WPN824 Router (from dell's day deal)...reception on lower floor is good...hoping to improve even more by moving the router
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
17 replies
Nov 2, 2006
841 posts
15 upvotes
why not just try it? it should work unless they installed a special filter on the current outlet.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
hightech wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 1:24 pm
Visit this link with the modem where the tech installed it and record the numbers:

http://192.168.100.1/signal.html

Now move the modem to the site you would like and visit that same site and see if the numbers changed.
What is that? I get a 404 error.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4715 posts
231 upvotes
Markham
hightech wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 1:24 pm
Visit this link with the modem where the tech installed it and record the numbers:

http://192.168.100.1/signal.html

Now move the modem to the site you would like and visit that same site and see if the numbers changed.
Okie...will try this tonite

If the numbers change, what does it mean?
If the numbers DON'T change, what does it mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
If you're like me and have access to the Rogers box, open it up and see how they split the cable lines. For me, they made a split that went to the modem and the other when to another splitter that fed the 4 or 5 TV outlets in the house.

When I moved my modem, I just rearranged the splits so that once again my modem had the first split. Rogers wanted $50 to come and do this. :rolleyes:
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1098 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Emancipated wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 1:33 pm
Thats pretty cool, I didn't know about that. If you have the Motorola surfboard modem, then that page connects to the modem itself and shows you its stats.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3286 posts
293 upvotes
As far as I remember, the cable that originally setup for your cable modem from the tech should be use to connect the modem instead of using any outlets in your house because it has a better signal to noise ratio.

The other outlets might work but slow. Why don't you get a wireless router and problem solved. I have a wireless N router and a repeater cover the whole house.

And moving to another outlet should work as long as the MAC address for the router is the same.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Emancipated wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 1:33 pm
doesn't work if your behind a router
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1269 posts
7 upvotes
Jun 19th, 2007 6:28 pm
The other outlets might work but slow. Why don't you get a wireless router and problem solved. I have a wireless N router and a repeater cover the whole house.
retail consumer routers suck.

anyone that does more than just surf the internet will suffer from the lack of memory these routers have... including the famous linksys WRT54G/S/GSXTTAWD with third party firmware.

the way these routers filter packets and clog up the network makes me sick.
Don't even get me started on wireless... pffffffft

back on topic

When my house was built, i don't remember the cables going into my second floor office ( middle of the house ) as the primary cable point. I'm not sure why they placed it in that room. I'm wonder as well if that outlet is specifically for the cable modem..... i'm a cogeco user but same dilema.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20479 posts
1251 upvotes
Aurora
CdTriX wrote:
Jun 20th, 2007 2:49 am
retail consumer routers suck.

anyone that does more than just surf the internet will suffer from the lack of memory these routers have... including the famous linksys WRT54G/S/GSXTTAWD with third party firmware.

the way these routers filter packets and clog up the network makes me sick.
Don't even get me started on wireless... pffffffft
What do you expect for $60? If these routers were any good, Cisco would be out of business. They are designed for cheap access for homes. There is a reason why they only provide 4 ports.

That is why I use FreeBSD to route all my packets.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2006
1712 posts
124 upvotes
The modems can be moved ANYWHERE in a house. Just make sure to connect it to an outlet with good connection(not split to many times). The best thing to do is connect it to the mainline going into the house. I have my mainline split into 2, 1 for Cable modem and home phone modem and the other gets split to connect to all my TV's.
Opinions posted are that of my own and do not reflect that of any organization.

GTA AYCE Sushi Guide

What is a marriage if not an opportunity to mock someone through thick and thin while simultaneously exploring your deepest, darkest sexual desires - Californication.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11224 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
charliebrown wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 1:49 pm
Okie...will try this tonite

If the numbers change, what does it mean?
If the numbers DON'T change, what does it mean?
You can connect to http://192.168.100.1/signal.html if you have a router as well, all depends on how you set the router address as.

In terms of numbers, using my specs, here is what you need to look for:

Downstream Value
Frequency 615000000 Hz Locked <-- This is the freq used by Rogers.
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB <-- Quality of signal. Higher number is better (i.e. 40 dB is better then 37 dB)
Power Level 6 dB <-- Range of signal with 3 to 10 dB as being the best for Rogers installs. I have seen the modem work in weaker signals as well.

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4 <-- Rogers channel info
Frequency 31296000 Hz Ranged <-- Rogers freq. range.
Power Level 43 dBmV <-- Lower the number the better (i.e. 38dBmV is better then 43 dBmV)

Note that Rogers frequency is at 615 MHz, so anyone using splitters over 1 GHZ are basically overkill.

Here is a link for your reference:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1197
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4715 posts
231 upvotes
Markham
thanx for everyone's replies

got the netgear router from last wk's dell sale...much better signal compared to the d-link 524 that we had; the rogers guy installed the modem in the same place that the previous owner of the house used (2nd floor bedroom);

will try another outlet on 2nd floor to see if having the router in a more central part of the house improves the wireless signal

(was thinking of putting it on main floor...but only has the 1 TV outlet...so unless i split that one, it's TV vs internet decision)
× < >