• Mar 14th, 2018 8:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12399 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There

Rogers just increase max home data roaming max charge

I just noticed when crossing the border that Rogers just changed their max 10 day charge per billing period for roaming with home data from 10 days to 15 days. I went with Rogers instead of Bell during the $60/10GB promo because Bell was 20 days and Rogers 10. No doubt they'll later increase it to 20 days too.

BAIT 'N SWITCH!!!
15 replies
Jan 13, 2014
798 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
What's the big problem here? After the maximum time, roaming data would be disabled anyways.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12399 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
Devhux wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 8:05 pm
What's the big problem here? After the maximum time, roaming data would be disabled anyways.
Huh? I don't know about you but I don't use up 10 GB in 10 days when travelling and I doubt most people do so it is indeed a 'big deal'.

For various US visits within a billing period for Rogers who charge $6/day to use your home data:

4 days = $24 (same as before)
10 days = $60 (same as before)
15+ days = $90 (used to be 10 day max so only $60).

That's $30 more now. Now do you get it?
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Devhux wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 8:05 pm
That's not the issue. You were billed the +$x per day, max 10 days per billing cycle with Rogers, max 20 days with Bell. That meant your total expense for 3+ weeks in the US or elsewhere was cheaper for Rogers subscribers (vs. Bell subscribers). Now that Rogers bumped it, there's no longer that advantage of being with Rogers.

Carrier might disable roaming if you're using it more than 50% of the time, but that's after several months (they understand some people are snowbirds, and would rather collect off the snowbirds rather than them cancelling cell service here and grabbing sims abroad).

This is no surprise to me. I doubt we'll see that $60 price point go up for a couple years, but the other things (overage rates, roaming, etc.), carriers will price increase where and when they can.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jan 13, 2014
798 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
I still don't get it. What happens after the 10 or 15 days then? You get to keep using your roam like home data for free? That would be crazy!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12399 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
Devhux wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 4:43 am
I still don't get it. What happens after the 10 or 15 days then? You get to keep using your roam like home data for free? That would be crazy!
Yes you get to use it for 'free'. Hardly 'free' when you've paid already the max charge and you are also paying for your home data. The max charge per billing period for the various carriers while in the USA is:

Rogers/Fido - 15 days max @ $6/day = $90 max, (International $12/day = $180 max)
Telus/Koodo - $7/day, $100 max, (International $10/day, $150 max)
Bell - 20 days @ $7/day = $140 max (effective tomorrow, was $6/day before). (International $12/day = $240 max)
Virgin - no such plan

All but Bell start counting the day as a 24-hour period from the first time you use your phone after you cross the border. Bell ends it at midnight, so if you use your phone the first time at 11:59pm after crossing the border you already get dinged a day. So for a 24-hour period in the US that spans midnight you end up paying double with Bell as you would with Rogers.

Wow. You seem to be in the dark ages in terms of understanding cell phone plans. I would strongly suggest you refrain from commenting on the cell phone forum.
Last edited by eonibm on Mar 11th, 2018 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12399 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 9:26 pm
That's not the issue. You were billed the +$x per day, max 10 days per billing cycle with Rogers, max 20 days with Bell. That meant your total expense for 3+ weeks in the US or elsewhere was cheaper for Rogers subscribers (vs. Bell subscribers). Now that Rogers bumped it, there's no longer that advantage of being with Rogers.

Carrier might disable roaming if you're using it more than 50% of the time, but that's after several months (they understand some people are snowbirds, and would rather collect off the snowbirds rather than them cancelling cell service here and grabbing sims abroad).

This is no surprise to me. I doubt we'll see that $60 price point go up for a couple years, but the other things (overage rates, roaming, etc.), carriers will price increase where and when they can.
Actually there is still an advantage of being with Rogers. As you can see from my post above this one, Rogers is still the cheapest of all the carriers for US home data roaming (for International Telus/Koodo is the cheapest). Bell is not only the most expensive at 20 days * $7/day = $140 but also end the day at midnight rather than a 24-hour period.
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
eonibm wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 11:00 am
Actually there is still an advantage of being with Rogers. As you can see from my post above this one, Rogers is still the cheapest of all the carriers for US home data roaming (for International Telus/Koodo is the cheapest). Bell is not only the most expensive at 20 days * $7/day = $140 but also end the day at midnight rather than a 24-hour period.
True, but this change reduces the price gap and makes it easier to justify paying the premium to be on the Bellus Network while not roaming.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12399 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 12:04 pm
True, but this change reduces the price gap and makes it easier to justify paying the premium to be on the Bellus Network while not roaming.
Why do you think the premium is justified to be on Bell? I've been on Fido, Virgin (which is Bell) and Rogers, each for a number of years, and have roamed with all 3 in the USA too. I have found the performance and coverage on my iPhone to be the same. The only slight difference with Bell is that at my house (close to downtown TO) Bell's download speed is over 2x Rogers' 84mbit/sec speed. However, that does not change my experience whatsoever.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27965 posts
3685 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
All three carriers use similar technology, so it should be the same. In the US, AT&T is the closest as far as spectrum to RoBellus.
Jan 13, 2014
798 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
eonibm wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 10:58 am

Wow. You seem to be in the dark ages in terms of understanding cell phone plans. I would strongly suggest you refrain from commenting on the cell phone forum.
Wow, thanks for such insightful information. I'm sorry I didn't understand how the roam like home feature was different from standard roaming data rates (which are capped and then roaming data is disabled by default)

People come here to ask questions which is exactly what I did here.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4352 posts
244 upvotes
Markham
Unless it is really a hassle to swap SIM cards and you need your current number... At these prices, you are almost better off getting a prepaid plan which can offer you equally as much for slightly less.
Dec 11, 2013
232 posts
123 upvotes
Victoria
Lovable wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:37 pm
Unless it is really a hassle to swap SIM cards and you need your current number... At these prices, you are almost better off getting a prepaid plan which can offer you equally as much for slightly less.
Definitely go Koodo prepaid if you're a data sipper. The last trip, my wife used 300mb of US data over the week and her unused data carries over to the next trip. At $20/1GB, it costed us less than $6 ($3 if you consider the double data we bought on the last promotion).

I was using Koodo postpaid so I was $35 for 5 days. Only used 400mb and one phone call. Boo!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4352 posts
244 upvotes
Markham
bob5593 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:18 pm
Definitely go Koodo prepaid if you're a data sipper. The last trip, my wife used 300mb of US data over the week and her unused data carries over to the next trip. At $20/1GB, it costed us less than $6 ($3 if you consider the double data we bought on the last promotion).

I was using Koodo postpaid so I was $35 for 5 days. Only used 400mb and one phone call. Boo!
I actually meant an international prepaid plan (in Asia/US from personal experience), much cheaper than whatever Canadian plans could offer unless it is a really short stay.