Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes

Rogers Modem Query

Morning Folks,

Sunny day isn't it? Any how I just had a quick question to ask.

Basically in the computer loft upstairs I have hooked up the Rogers modem (rental - yes I know) to the cable connection and have my wireless router hooked up (D Link DIR 615). Usually when I connect my phone/tablet or parents laptop to the router either in the family room there's a weak signal and sometimes the connection drops. Instead of spending money on a bridge, or WiFi extender I was thinking the following:

(1) I will be getting a Linksys E4200 to upgrade my current router.
(2) Purchase a Rogers modem through Kijiji same model
(3) Hook it up to the cable connection in the family room or my room (we don't have Rogers TV anymore)
(4) Hook up the D Link router to that modem to provide WiFi or LAN internet to the devices - laptops, phone/tablets, Xbox, Blu Ray

My question is, will Rogers charge me extra for connecting another fully paid/bought modem and then using internet from it? It will also just use the regular bandwidth as opposed to double the bandwidth or something?

Thanks
Blanka
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
You can't have two modems active unless you want two accounts (two bills).

You said you don't want to spend money on a bridge/extender, but you are buying a new router (and also planning to buy a new modem). ?????

You can flash the 615 with DD-WRT and make it a bridge/repeater after you buy the 4200.

Or, you can move the router (and possibly modem) to a better location in the house.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
An e4200 won't necessarily give you better range, since it has no external antennas. I'd save yourself the money, pick up another DIR-615 off Kijiji for $25, flash them both with DD-WRT and set one up as a repeater like suggested.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote: You can't have two modems active unless you want two accounts (two bills).

You said you don't want to spend money on a bridge/extender, but you are buying a new router (and also planning to buy a new modem). ?????

You can flash the 615 with DD-WRT and make it a bridge/repeater after you buy the 4200.

Or, you can move the router (and possibly modem) to a better location in the house.

The new router was always planned before hand. As for moving the router and possibly the modem to a better location, I still don't want to have cables running across the house. I.e. drilling holes from upstairs to downstairs and running my desktop via ethernet.

Or how about this? Is there a way after I get my E4200 to use the DIR 615 as a bridge/repeater like you said to make it somehow all a wired network? Like is it possible to connect the DIR 615 to the E4200 wirelessly? Therefore if that works, the DIR 615 will be in the family room in which the blu ray, xbox and two extra ports for laptops will be all hardwired.

Didn't know that I can't have two modems - that kind of sucks but oh well.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
JAC wrote: An e4200 won't necessarily give you better range, since it has no external antennas. I'd save yourself the money, pick up another DIR-615 off Kijiji for $25, flash them both with DD-WRT and set one up as a repeater like suggested.

I thought the E4200 does provide better range as its newer technology and such?
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: The new router was always planned before hand. As for moving the router and possibly the modem to a better location, I still don't want to have cables running across the house. I.e. drilling holes from upstairs to downstairs and running my desktop via ethernet.

Or how about this? Is there a way after I get my E4200 to use the DIR 615 as a bridge/repeater like you said to make it somehow all a wired network? Like is it possible to connect the DIR 615 to the E4200 wirelessly? Therefore if that works, the DIR 615 will be in the family room in which the blu ray, xbox and two extra ports for laptops will be all hardwired.

Didn't know that I can't have two modems - that kind of sucks but oh well.

Yes, DD-WRT the 615 and put it in client bridge mode. It now connects back the the E4200 wirelessly and you can plug wired devices into it. This mode will not extend your wifi range since the 615 is now not accepting wifi clients. All wifi clients will connect to the 4200.

There is also mode to allow both wired and wireless connections to the 615 if required.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
djemzine wrote: I thought the E4200 does provide better range as its newer technology and such?

Probably better than a single DIR-615, yes, but worth $170? I doubt it.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote: Yes, DD-WRT the 615 and put it in client bridge mode. It now connects back the the E4200 wirelessly and you can plug wired devices into it. This mode will not extend your wifi range since the 615 is now not accepting wifi clients. All wifi clients will connect to the 4200.

There is also mode to allow both wired and wireless connections to the 615 if required.

So basically it does what I need it to do in the long run - connect all the downstairs devices to the DIR 615 via ethernet aka wired as opposed to WiFi?
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: So basically it does what I need it to do in the long run - connect all the downstairs devices to the DIR 615 via ethernet aka wired as opposed to WiFi?

Yes. I am running this setup.
This space for rent
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
I"m not familiar with flashing the 615. Just make sure you get the latest instructions. A lot of the DD-WRT info, both on the wiki and the forums get outdated and they don't remove it. Setting up the bridge is easy. Come back when you have it flashed if you need assistance with the bridge setup.
This space for rent
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote: I"m not familiar with flashing the 615. Just make sure you get the latest instructions. A lot of the DD-WRT info, both on the wiki and the forums get outdated and they don't remove it. Setting up the bridge is easy. Come back when you have it flashed if you need assistance with the bridge setup.

Sure. Will do and thanks.
Blanka

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)