Careers

Rogers Outrank Interview

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2014 1:41 pm
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
When is the Big Move? When is the interview? I thought it was already over.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
We have to be there to get the keys for our new place by the 15th. So I deferred the interview till after that. They said it was no problem. I get the impression they are always hiring, which is good.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Made it!!! Now to get wifi connected and find my interview clothes. I also saw some threads about Canada Post hiring for the holidays. Might be a good part-time gig to pair up with Rogers Outrank.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Congrats, let us know what happens. Weather in BC is idyllic, in case you were wondering. Got freezing rain yet?
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
After all that, I got offered a marketing job in a financial services company. My partner's boss knows the owner and he made me an incredible offer. If I perform well I could make $100k next year!!! I'm so excited!

Sorry, Rogers Outrank. No hard feelings? Haha!
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Holy cow! Are you serious?

Well, given what you said about your sales skills, you should consider doing the exam to be a stockbroker. Maybe your new employer will even pay for the tuition; it's a few hundred dollars to take the exam, if I remember.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks! I asked and he said if I an doing well at six months we can talk about that and other training benefits This is al working out so well!!! Only problem is now I need a whole new wardrobe!
Sep 24, 2014
82 posts
16 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I can confirm what the poster above said. Credentials are important in this world, particularly in job hunting. A lot of people in HR departments can't actually use their own judgement at all and end up picking the candidate who has the most diplomas, even if they are irrelevant.

It sounds though like you'll be working in a business directly related to stock trading, so this can only help you. I think it was $330 back in the late 80's.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Is stock trading as brutal as the media indicates? I get that it's not all Wolf of Wall Street stuff, but everything I hear says it's a grind that burns people out, but then I look at the stock brokers I know and they spend half their time in Ibiza or on the golf course.
Sep 24, 2014
82 posts
16 upvotes
White Rock, BC
It's not AS bad as it's made out to be, but it is tough especially at first when you're cold-calling. If you can handle a cold calling job of any kind and make money at it, you should be thinking about doing stock trading. It's the same thing, only with more zeros in every paycheque. The first two years are killer, but after that you have a stable of clients and it's a matter of moving their money around and keeping them happy, which isn't too difficult. Some firms are more aggressive, of course.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Lol, can't be as stressful as moving and being unemployed!! Thanks for the info, I will definitely do the exam when I can, provided it doesn't turn out I hate the job. Starting officially Monday, now I have to buy a suit!
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Just an update incase anyone's still reading this. A week in and I'm learning tons, having a blast.

But my boss made me return the suit I bought. It was embarrassing but he said it was cheap looking. He offered to advance me some salary so I could get a decent suit, because we work for people with lots of money. I'm used to working in my jeans and a nice top. Lol at my last job we wore UGGs because we sold them!

So what does a "good suit" cost and where should I buy it in Toronto? I'm really small, a size 4 if that makes a difference.
Sep 24, 2014
82 posts
16 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Oh wait, this sounds like my kind of question. I'm a closet (ha!) fashionista.

At a size four you'll have a lot of options. I'm not familiar with Toronto but there are a lot of Torontonian tailor and suit threads in the fashion section of the forums here, so ask over there. I'd recommend you spend no less than $400 on a suit. Holt's is always good, and check their sale racks.

Wherever you go, tell the sales help that you are looking for something "conservative and classic" for a financial services job, and that your boss made you return the last one as unacceptable. They LOVE to help clients like you, because they can really make a difference. Don't let them push you into anything you can't afford. Don't let them put you in anything sexy. You can get away with less expensive tops, eg even cotton knit jewel necks, as long as they're decent quality and you wear good jewelry with them.

Don't wear costume jewelry of any kind except expensive fake pearls. Gold is best. Gold plated or gold filled will do in a pinch. Don't wear a lot of them. And never, ever wear a cheap watch if you're in financial services. Don't wear ANY watch if you can't afford a good one.

Let me know what you get! I want to see!

Here's the link to made to measure suits in Toronto. That's more expensive, but as soon as you can afford it, DO IT. Unless you're gaining and losing weight often. show-us-your-m2m-bespoke-suit-thread-ma ... c-1164418/
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow, thanks. This looks pricey. I appreciate the pointers: I showed your tips to my boss and he said they were right on the money.

I am not ready for made to measure though. Maybe in a few months.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Hey, it's good to see you're making progress. Given the sales you did when you were just selling skiwear, I'm sure you'll be a success once you've got the basics down. There are personal style consultants that you can hire who will give you pointers, and since it's for work you might even be able to write off the cost. I agree you're not looking for anything fashion-oriented; you're looking for a classic suit that says "I'm careful with my money but there's lots of it." Not something that says, "Kanye designed this for Kim to give birth in."
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, people! I bought a conservative grey suit downtown for $400 marked down from $750 because the store was closing. It's boring but my boss LOVES it.

And in another thread someone suggested eBay for second hand high end clothes and shoes. There's a lot there, and it's so cheap!
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
I'm so glad this is working out for you. It really sounds like you've found your niche.

Also if the OP ever comes back he's going to be peeved we changed this into a social "Yay for ariel" thread. Maybe we should ask the mods to move it to the Completely, Absolutely Off Topic area if there is such a thing.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
How strange, I got a call from Rogers Outrank today, and yet I don't even own a business. Hmm. Ariel, you mentioned your buddy had applied, did they ever get it? I see ads on the job sites for Rogers Outrank all the time. Must be doing well, hiring all those folks.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Ogopogoyoyo wrote: How strange, I got a call from Rogers Outrank today, and yet I don't even own a business. Hmm. Ariel, you mentioned your buddy had applied, did they ever get it? I see ads on the job sites for Rogers Outrank all the time. Must be doing well, hiring all those folks.
Or they have a high turnover.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)