• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 1:56 am
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1530 posts
195 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 4:41 pm
take koodo prepaid plan unlimited text and picture messaging 15$/m - 10% auto pay and then + booster addon 25$ for 500 min/y , i think you save $
Once, several years ago, Koodo ran the double booster deal. Effectively 15¢/MB, 1¢/min. I topped up enough that I am still using both the data and talk. Waiting for the next one. It worked out for me. I like to know I am paying for my usage, rather than trying to use more than necessary. I put my son on this Rogers plan, after receiving credit from a Rogers dispute (they increased the plan from 25¢/min to 50¢/min without informing me) in order to run the balance down. Afterwhich I will most likely switch him to Koodo. IMO, both prepaid speakeasy and petrolcanada are slightly better. the 50¢/min can easily destroy any budget.

That said, we are very low usage users. I do use plenty of data when I am away from wifi, just not excessive like downloading videos.
Feb 6, 2016
30 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Error2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 5:40 pm
Once, several years ago, Koodo ran the double booster deal. Effectively 15¢/MB, 1¢/min. I topped up enough that I am still using both the data and talk. Waiting for the next one. It worked out for me. I like to know I am paying for my usage, rather than trying to use more than necessary. I put my son on this Rogers plan, after receiving credit from a Rogers dispute (they increased the plan from 25¢/min to 50¢/min without informing me) in order to run the balance down. Afterwhich I will most likely switch him to Koodo. IMO, both prepaid speakeasy and petrolcanada are slightly better. the 50¢/min can easily destroy any budget.

That said, we are very low usage users. I do use plenty of data when I am away from wifi, just not excessive like downloading videos.
and how you have controlled your data usage , by marshmallow 6.0 data usage restriction for each apps or firewall in case to prevent accidental over usage , and beside petrocanada we have 7-eleven too
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4284 posts
1009 upvotes
Canada
Have a couple of questions about this plan. Hopefully those who have this plan can answer:

1) Does the $120 price include 911 fees (Alberta)?
2) If I top up the account with $120 and activate this plan, my balance would be $0 (no balance remaining for additional minutes after 50 free minutes). But if I do a one time top up of $20 to use for additional minutes, will they expire in 30 days or 365 days? Usually $20 top up expires in 30 days, but is it different in this case?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1530 posts
195 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 6:09 pm
and how you have controlled your data usage , by marshmallow 6.0 data usage restriction for each apps or firewall in case to prevent accidental over usage , and beside petrocanada we have 7-eleven too
Firewall (AFwall) and minimal background activity (greenify + xposed + tasker). Basically blocking everything everything except the apps I trust, in foreground. Been using the same setup for 3 years, dunno what marshmallow (and plus) have regarding access control. My battery easily runs for 2 days on a Nexus 5, still on kitkat, I routinely check email and read reddit when I commute.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1530 posts
195 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 12:36 pm
2) If I top up the account with $120 and activate this plan, my balance would be $0 (no balance remaining for additional minutes after 50 free minutes). But if I do a one time top up of $20 to use for additional minutes, will they expire in 30 days or 365 days? Usually $20 top up expires in 30 days, but is it different in this case?
I believe that the one time "payment" for the plan automatically extend the expiry to 1 year, plus days left before you get on this plan. Account page reflects this new expiry date.

The 911 fee will still be withdrawn from your balance every month, from your balance leftover. I am not sure what will happen if your balance is dry.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1031 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
hagopb wrote:
take koodo prepaid plan unlimited text and picture messaging 15$/m - 10% auto pay and then + booster addon 25$ for 500 min/y , i think you save $
Hi are you talking about the lowest base plan?

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

The lowest base plan annually cost $15/30*365 = $182.5. After 10% off autopay $182.5*0.9 = $164.25. This is the annual cost of the cheapest Koodo base plan, which only includes Unlimited Texting and Picture Messaging - there is no calling included. See footnote "The $15 base plan requires a Talk Booster add-on and sufficient anytime minutes in your account to use voice features".

The rogers plan is $120 annually for Unlimited Texting and Unlimited Evening & Weekend Calling (6pm-7am), plus 50 free local day-time mins for the year.

To get the Koodo's Unlimited Evening & Weekend Calling (7pm-8am), you have to get $25 per 30 days, which is 25/30*365*0.9 = $273.75 per year. To save money over Rogers (Koodo is 5c/min, where Rogers is 50c/min during the day), you have to expect to make over ($273.75 - $120)/(50c-5c) = 342min, plus Rogers gives you free 50 mins. So if you make over 392 mins per year, then you save money using Koodo, otherwise Rogers is better (without mentioning its evening starts at 6pm).

You can use the cheapest Koodo's base plan (text only) and buy Talk Booster add-on for all calling (daytime, evenings & weekends). How well does this save money over Rogers? Let's say you call 400 min a year on evenings and weekends, then you are better off with Koodo if you call daytime more than ($164.25 + 400*5c - $120)/(50c-5c) + 50 = 193 min per year, which is likely. If you call 800 min a year on evenings and weekends, breakeven at 237 min per year, which is also likely. Yes you can save here, if you don't call much during evenings and weekends but more during the day.

Conclusion, Koodo's $25/month + Talk Booster is worse than Rogers $120 (unless you call during the daytime a lot). Koodo's $15/month is better than Rogers $120 if you don't call much during the daytime or evenings & weekends.

However, for their usage pattern some people will still come out better with Roger's $120 than any of the Koodo's pre-paid plans + Talk Booster.
Sep 2, 2007
582 posts
100 upvotes
Add to Elfwood's excellent analysis

The Talk time purchased with Koodo is Canada wide calling.
Everybody's requirements are different
In my case I call Canada wide a lot so the Rogers long distance charges would be a killer
Mar 31, 2008
539 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton
RFDQ1016 wrote:

Depends when you add the $20. If you add it greater than 30 days before the end of the $120 plan expires, then the $20 will have the same expiry date as the plan. If you add it less than 30 days before the end of the $120 plan expires, then the $20 will expire in 30 days.

For example:

Purchase $120 plan on January 1, expires December 31.

Purchase $20 top up on July 1, it will expire on December 31.
Purchase $20 top on December 15, it will expire January 15.
Jan 29, 2008
21 posts
3 upvotes
I complete 1 year with this plan as of March, LANDLINE calls are NOT included. its only local calls mobile to mobile.
Sep 18, 2008
456 posts
57 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Have a couple of questions about this plan. Hopefully those who have this plan can answer:

1) On the Rogers website link from the op there is no mention of 911 fees so I am assuming it is included in the plan? Someone who has had the $120 plan care to chime in on this who had a 0 balance going forward the next month does services still work? I would hope so....
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10248 posts
497 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Unlimited evenings and weekends I think would do better than the booster add-on. Most of my call time is weekends. Just last week, I was on the phone for maybe 4 hours straight which is already half that 500.
Feb 24, 2004
969 posts
169 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
Great plan. I hope it includes MMS
F.L.O.W. - Finally Let Out Worry - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Become life's effortless flow. Relax & let it glow...
Feb 6, 2016
30 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
thechampion116 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 7:16 pm
Unlimited evenings and weekends I think would do better than the booster add-on. Most of my call time is weekends. Just last week, I was on the phone for maybe 4 hours straight which is already half that 500.
all the comments specially elfwood's analysis was very impressive but just for my case where i don't speak that much i've considered koodo have a good plan just in case someone know a better plan for saving $ ,with taking in consideration that i don't speak much , please share it
Dec 8, 2009
92 posts
10 upvotes
vro29 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 11:57 pm
You can use KnowRoaming for basic pay-as-you-go/emergency/backup use.

SIM is $7 (US) with referral code and they give you $10 in credit for tweeting/facebooking your signup. Credit lasts 15mos before it expires. Outgoing (callback service)/Incoming are $0.15US/min and you get a US & UK number included (you can add a CDN # for $3US mo. if you need it). You can basically go 15 months with 60 mins of use for only $7US.

This is the best deal for a backup/emergency phone.

If you need a Canadian # then SpeakOut is probably the best deal at $25yr + SIM which will give you 100mins of talk and free incoming texts.
Do you have additional info on this speakout plan you're referring to?
Feb 25, 2008
332 posts
16 upvotes
It's $20/month plus the simcard with speakout that gets you 100 Canada wide mins and unlimited CDN USA texts.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel