• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 11:35 am
May 9, 2012
734 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
Elfwood wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:42 pm
1. Is voicemail charge, if someone calls and leaves me a 30sec message = 1min off my 50 free??... don't understand why is so..

Not if you check voicemail during your unlimited hours.

2. Is calling landline charged during the unlimited night/w-e?

Not charged

3.is there a 911 or other monthly??

No (may exist in old grandfathered plans)

4. What is your yearly cost so far? You've put 120$ to activate and have you had to put another $xx.00 amount because of extra charges ??

Depends on person and calling patterns.

5. Is there a charge for a SIM card, is there a way to get it free or credit?

There is a charge.

6. Does it cost to port number? Isn't this standing and free?

It's free
thanks for the answers, however Question 1 is not 100% clear. if someone calls during the day before 6pm, do i get charged for the voicemail? even i dont listen to it.
So just to be clear, if someone calls, leaves a message, will $ or minutes be deducted out of the 50mins a year for that message? even if i dont listen to it???
Nov 4, 2008
278 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
What is considered "local calls"? We go often up north in the summer and this would be my daughter's plan so I guess she can't call her friends in the evening/weekend?

She's currently on Speakout Unlimited Texting plan so I guess this is still better since includes local calling evenings and weekends?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2502 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
brutus99 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:56 am
What is considered "local calls"? We go often up north in the summer and this would be my daughter's plan so I guess she can't call her friends in the evening/weekend?

She's currently on Speakout Unlimited Texting plan so I guess this is still better since includes local calling evenings and weekends?
Trying to find out what the actually local calling area in your area is like pulling teeth. I had to chat with a Rogers CSR to find out what my actual local calling area was. There is certainly no web site to offer as much. In my case, I was looking for the local calling area in Halifax, and it is the areas in the Halifax regional municipality. Was hoping it was the 902 area code, but sadly no.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1309 posts
454 upvotes
barginfreak wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:39 pm
thanks for the answers, however Question 1 is not 100% clear. if someone calls during the day before 6pm, do i get charged for the voicemail? even i dont listen to it.
So just to be clear, if someone calls, leaves a message, will $ or minutes be deducted out of the 50mins a year for that message? even if i dont listen to it???
No nothing gets deducted unless you listen to it during the day
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2502 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
I was cleaning house, and I found an old Rogers Doro prepaid phone I got for $25 at Futureshop. It came with a Rogers SIM card and a $50 activation credit. Someone on Kijiji was selling a $100 card for $60, so I activated this SIM. The $50 card was apparently expired, but was given a $50 goodwill credit, because the card has no expiry date. I got the $100 from Kijiji, so I had $150 to work with, and it cost me $60, not including the phone.

So I got the $120 plan. 2 CSR's inform me that picture messaging is included. Also $120 is all I pay, no other foolish fees. 911 fees are apparently included in the $120 cost. I will see what the bill is next month

So far I have been picture messaging like a mad man, and I still have a $30 balance. I got dinged for a text message before I activated the plan, but since I never even gave anyone my number at that point, the charge got forgiven. I never got any other strange text messages after I activated this plan, which I found interesting. I disable voice mail because I have no control of charges that come from voice mail
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6931 posts
1014 upvotes
Just wondering - I want to call forward my pay as you go number to another phone. How does the minute charges work ? As the plan has free weeknights and weekends - when I receive calls during this period while my number is forwarded, is it still free ?
May 9, 2012
734 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
bigphil26 wrote:
May 31st, 2017 5:04 pm
No nothing gets deducted unless you listen to it during the day
This is not totally true. Ive called numerous Customer service agents and all have said the same:
1." you will be changed during the day if someone leaves you a message". if you pick up the phone or let it go to voicemail, during the day you will be deducted from your 50min or 0.50$/min.
2. you will be charged again to check it on your phone.
3. you will not be charged be charged if anyone calls or leaves voice during Nights/W-end.

Can someone confirm if #1 & 2 are true. if so, this would mean that I would be charged $0.50 per voicemail (if 1min or less)?????
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2502 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
barginfreak wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 7:25 pm
This is not totally true. Ive called numerous Customer service agents and all have said the same:
1." you will be changed during the day if someone leaves you a message". if you pick up the phone or let it go to voicemail, during the day you will be deducted from your 50min or 0.50$/min.
2. you will be charged again to check it on your phone.
3. you will not be charged be charged if anyone calls or leaves voice during Nights/W-end.

Can someone confirm if #1 & 2 are true. if so, this would mean that I would be charged $0.50 per voicemail (if 1min or less)?????
When I was talking to the Rogers CSR's, the ones that said picture messaging was included, they also said your minutes would be deducted or charged if someone left you a message on voice mail on weekday daytime hours. If you checked your messages, even using another phone, on weekday daytime hours, you were also deducted or charged. After I heard that, I made sure my voice mail was deactivated, so I have no way of testing this, nor do I want to.
May 9, 2012
734 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
bridonca wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:45 pm
When I was talking to the Rogers CSR's, the ones that said picture messaging was included, they also said your minutes would be deducted or charged if someone left you a message on voice mail on weekday daytime hours. If you checked your messages, even using another phone, on weekday daytime hours, you were also deducted or charged. After I heard that, I made sure my voice mail was deactivated, so I have no way of testing this, nor do I want to.
1.Can Anyone who has voicemail activated confirm if you are charged during the day? Would really need to have voicemail..

2. Also for all those living in a province where there is a 2nd 911 fee, can you confirm that you get charged for these? In QC there is 2 -911 fee but Rogers is saying the only 1 (the standard is covered) not the 2nd one, the provincial one will Not???
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2502 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
barginfreak wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 6:39 pm
1.Can Anyone who has voicemail activated confirm if you are charged during the day? Would really need to have voicemail..

2. Also for all those living in a province where there is a 2nd 911 fee, can you confirm that you get charged for these? In QC there is 2 -911 fee but Rogers is saying the only 1 (the standard is covered) not the 2nd one, the provincial one will Not???
I will let you know next month if I get billed for the NS 911 fee. The Rogers agents told me it was included in the $120 package. We shall see.
May 9, 2012
734 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
bridonca wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 6:46 pm
I will let you know next month if I get billed for the NS 911 fee. The Rogers agents told me it was included in the $120 package. We shall see.
Thanks ! . Still seeking an answer for question #1 from others with voicemail.
May 9, 2012
734 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
Still looking to get confirmation that voicemail is charged at local rate during the day (not unlimited night/wk-end)?? Don't get why it would be, cause like pic messages, in all other plans it's extra but not in this 120$ plan???

Can someone let me know for sure??
Aug 25, 2005
12 posts
I have the old $100 unlimited evenings and weekends plan and was charged for voice messages left in the daytime during weekdays.

Should work the same way for your newer $120 plan. Still a great deal as long as can work around the limitations.

Also note that I was charged for calling 1800 and other toll free numbers regardless of when I called. Learned the hard way.

Cheers.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2502 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
AlisonMM wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 11:43 pm
Debating wether to get this or Telus...
What does Telus offer? This?

Talk & Text
Voice: 400 anytime local minutes
Messaging: 400 incoming/outgoing SMS and MMS
$100 for 365 days

Suppose it depends on what you use your phone for. I think the unlimited MMS and unlimited E/W calling pushed me to Rogers, not much of a daytime weekday yakker, and voicemail is more an annoyance than useful, since caller ID is all I need. Telus has better voicemail, and a $100 cost, but not much else.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)