None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4997 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata

Rogers pay as you go activation question

Hello,

I am looking for a second pay as you go phone for my family member. I am personally using Petro Canada Mobility, it is good but I am not happy that they changed their price and expiration date. I am mostly interest in Rogers pay as you go, mainly for the possibility o f roaming to US and the 1 cents/min evening/weekend plan. I have a unlocked iphone 2g so I don't need to buy a phone (unless necessary) and I have a chance to buy a used sim card. Now my question is if I go out and buy a $100 credit (expire 365 days, where to buy?), can I activate it online for free (I know my friend is charged $30 activation fee in a rogers store), do I get a local phone number at the time of activation? is that all I need for the first year (assuming I am not using up the $100 minutes). Also, walmart have a Rogers Samsung P.a.y.g phone for $69 at their anniversary sale ($99 in rogers.ca), does it includes sim card and activation charge?

Also, if you have other recommendation, please let me know, how do people compare Rogers and Petro C mobility at their current rate. I am aware of 7-11, but there is no 7-11 store in Kingston, just wonder if I buy a top up from a 7-11 store far away, can I still get a local phone number?

Thanks,
10 replies
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
rivet wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 10:32 pm
Hello,

I am looking for a second pay as you go phone for my family member. I am personally using Petro Canada Mobility, it is good but I am not happy that they changed their price and expiration date. I am mostly interest in Rogers pay as you go, mainly for the possibility o f roaming to US and the 1 cents/min evening/weekend plan. I have a unlocked iphone 2g so I don't need to buy a phone (unless necessary) and I have a chance to buy a used sim card. Now my question is if I go out and buy a $100 credit (expire 365 days, where to buy?), can I activate it online for free (I know my friend is charged $30 activation fee in a rogers store), do I get a local phone number at the time of activation? is that all I need for the first year (assuming I am not using up the $100 minutes). Also, walmart have a Rogers Samsung P.a.y.g phone for $69 at their anniversary sale ($99 in rogers.ca), does it includes sim card and activation charge?

Also, if you have other recommendation, please let me know, how do people compare Rogers and Petro C mobility at their current rate. I am aware of 7-11, but there is no 7-11 store in Kingston, just wonder if I buy a top up from a 7-11 store far away, can I still get a local phone number?

Thanks,
you have to pay an activation fee for PAYG?!

you can get pre-paid Rogers cards at most stores like Best Buy, Future Shop, The Source, Rogers retailers etc. you also have to get a number and activate a sim card.

if you buy pre-paid phones, they include sim cards and most of the time also a bill credit of some sort after you activate if there's a promotion going on?
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10910 posts
1323 upvotes
Activate a new rogers payg sim online/by phone and they pay you either 10 or 20 dollars.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4997 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
The rogers store refuse to sell me their sim card unless I pay $30 activation fee. So can i buy sim card else where?
Aug 17, 2009
541 posts
34 upvotes
hey, i've done this process for my mother before and I was in the same position. aka I had a phone already so i didn't want to buy another one. I just wanted the sim card to activate and go on my way. Here's what happened and what I did.

I went to a Rogers store, I tried to get just the sim and then I'd buy airtime. He said he'd charge me $30 activation and I was like wthh. But alternatively he recommended I just get a phone from the display because it come activation fee waived and with some airtime too. So what ended up happening is I picked up a cheap phone for $30 from the display(on promo sale from $100) it came activation fee waived and with $50 airtime, a great bonus start, and of course it came with a sim card. I didn't need the phone so I sold it BNIB locally for $70.

In the end, I made $40 (-$30+$70=+$40) and ended up with $50 airtime and the simcard.

Not sure if you'll be able to get exactly all the above but I'm sure you could get something relatively the same.

also, I'm don't promote rogers or pat them on the back much but the Rewards Back for Pay as you Go is good too,

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wire ... ygo_back2u 20% or 15% back
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4997 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Wow, looks great, which phone do you get for $30 and originally $100, I don't think I can get some deal like that.
Earbuddy wrote:
Sep 17th, 2010 8:01 pm
hey, i've done this process for my mother before and I was in the same position. aka I had a phone already so i didn't want to buy another one. I just wanted the sim card to activate and go on my way. Here's what happened and what I did.

I went to a Rogers store, I tried to get just the sim and then I'd buy airtime. He said he'd charge me $30 activation and I was like wthh. But alternatively he recommended I just get a phone from the display because it come activation fee waived and with some airtime too. So what ended up happening is I picked up a cheap phone for $30 from the display(on promo sale from $100) it came activation fee waived and with $50 airtime, a great bonus start, and of course it came with a sim card. I didn't need the phone so I sold it BNIB locally for $70.

In the end, I made $40 (-$30+$70=+$40) and ended up with $50 airtime and the simcard.

Not sure if you'll be able to get exactly all the above but I'm sure you could get something relatively the same.

also, I'm don't promote rogers or pat them on the back much but the Rewards Back for Pay as you Go is good too,

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wire ... ygo_back2u 20% or 15% back
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1485 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

How did you end up with a simcardless phone? I've always been a Rogers pay-as-you-goer & all the phones that I've bought for myself & my family always came with simcards. Anyways give these guys a call for a new Rogers simcard.
http://www.**********.ca/Rogers/Sim-Cards/

I've recently activated a new Corby plus phone for my daughter online & she was able to choose from a selection of area codes (2) & available phone numbers (40). I don't know if you'll get the same number of choices if you call in to activate your phone. Once you get your new sim card, see if the online activation page will accept your IMEI & simcard numbers. I'll be interested in knowing how you make out.
https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.porta ... _nfls=true
Aug 17, 2009
541 posts
34 upvotes
rivet wrote:
Sep 17th, 2010 11:07 pm
Wow, looks great, which phone do you get for $30 and originally $100, I don't think I can get some deal like that.

i can't recall the exact model but I think it was just some Samsung flip phone. I checked it out at the time, it wasn't a hot phone but it definitely wasn't crap either. I got the promo just by luck, if you have time just go in and out of a couple rogers stores, check out their pre-paid showcase and I'm sure there'll be something on promo. I'll be going around town here, I'll let you know what kinds of pay as you go promos we've got, likely your stores will have the same.

You could also try this with fido, I'm not sure about their promotions but billing by the second is a great advantage.
Jul 31, 2008
174 posts
22 upvotes
I've seen new Rogers PayGo phones at Shoppers Drug Mart stores in Ontario (with the expanded electronic / photography section) on sale for $49 before and regular priced at $79.

SDM does also carry the $100 (365 day) card but ... I usually wait for a Loblaws tax-free sale since many Loblaws affiliated grocery stores do carry the $100 card (you just have to know where to find them).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4997 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks all for the reply. In the end, I am able to get a new sim card from another Rogers store for $10 +tax. I activate it over the phone as online it seems I need to pay the minimum $20 first which does not have the same long expired date as the $100 top up. And in the end I bought the $100 from the Rogers store and add the money to it. They did screw me up first some how put my plan to $25 monthly early evening/weekend plan, but I am able to get them to fix them by a long call.

I got 0 bonus in activation, but that is fine, I am happy that I do not have to buy a phone and sell it. The actual story is even longer, as the CSR in Walmart initially agree to sell me the sim card for $9.93+tax, and in the end they change the mind and won't sell me the sim card unless I buy the phone. So I gave up and bought the Samsung phone, and just before I activate the phone, I visit another Rogers store and to my surprise they are fine to sell me Sim card alone. Their customer service line (Pay as you go inquiries number) really is hard to call, options after options, but never does one lead to an actual person, had to call the activation number in order to reach a representative.
Aug 17, 2009
541 posts
34 upvotes
sorry for late reply, but I did go around that day and i went into two rogers plus stores and a rogers wireless in a mall... pay as you go isn't like it used to be or at least at these locations they weren't advertised. so no scoop on any promos. glad to hear you're well on your way.
× < >