Credit Cards

Rogers Platinum MC (1.00% CB, 3% - net 0.50% Foreign CB) - Changes coming June 2nd, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2023 11:18 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham

Rogers Platinum MC (1.00% CB, 3% - net 0.50% Foreign CB) - Changes coming June 2nd, 2020

Changes coming June 2nd, 2020:
You will earn:
• 3% in cash back rewards on all your eligible purchases made in U.S. dollars (previously 3% on all eligible purchases made in
any foreign currency)
• 1% in cash back rewards on all other eligible purchases (previously 2% on Rogers products and services and 1.25% on all other
eligible purchases)
https://www.rogersbank.com/legaldocs/en ... atinum.pdf

NOTE: This is continuation of the original thread: rogers-bank-rogers-first-rewards-master ... a-1445520/ (as the OP is not updating the thread anymore)

NOTE #2 - The card will have no annual fee as of March 13th, 2018. However, the earn rate of the card will decrease to 3% for foreign currency purchases (0.5% net CB), 1.25% on non-Rogers products/services and 2% for Rogers products/services. Refer to here for more info. Terrible news imo, however there will be a new Rogers World Elite CC that will have almost the same benefits as this card post downgrade coming up in June, refer to here for more info.

This is the best no FX fee card in the market imo (yes, much better than the Amazon Chase Visa). I have created this thread because there are claims that the card's annual fee can be waived after Year 1 by just asking Rogers to waive it and that CB can be applied against statement balance instead of just Rogers bills/products (Confirmed that you can do that by calling in, but only once per year). Once confirmed, I will update the OP and future questions on the same topic can be avoided.

Let's get to the features:

- Earn 1.75% CB on all CDN purchases (5 points per dollar)
- Earn 4% CB on all non-CDN purchases (5+6.43 points per dollar, net 1.5% cb with 2.5% foreign transaction fee)
- $25 welcome bonus (used to be $35)
- FYF, free supplementary cards
- No limit on CB earned
- $29 annual fee after Year 1, but can be waived if:
(1) Use the card to pre-authorize payments for Rogers, Fido or chatr monthly bills
(2) Ask Rogers Bank to waive it (Was told it will only be a "one time credit", to be confirmed in 2017/8)
- CB can be redeemed once it hits $20
- CB can be redeemed on Rogers/Fido/Chatr products, Shopping Channel purchases, Jays tickets (no single games for some reason), Jays Shop, Rogers Center concessions/parking, etc (unlimited as long as CB is > $20)
- CB can be redeemed against statement balance by calling Rogers (Has to be requested by Dec 1st of current year, receive credit sometime in Jan of next year)

Points system:

- As Rogers Bank use their own way to calculate cash back, it can get really confusing on how their points system work. Below are some explanations (credit to Ace604):

CDN 1.75% CB spending:
- Every $1 spending will get you 5 points, and 5 points = $0.0175. Each point is worth $0.0035
- In order to earn $1 cash back you will need to spend $57.14 to get 285.70 points (285.70/5*0.0175 = $0.99995)

Foreign 4% CB spending:
- Every $1 spending will get you 11.43 points, and 11.43 points = $0.04. Each point is worth $0.0035
- In order to earn $1 cash back you will need to spend $25 to get 285.70 points (285.70/11.43*0.04 = $0.99998)
- Note that Rogers Bank will NOT include the 2.50% FX fee for cashback calculation

eg: I made a $35.55 USD purchase and Rogers Bank charged me $47.42 CDN (FX@1.301233*1.025). They will give me cashback base on $46.26 CDN ($47.42-$46.26 = $1.16 FX fee). Base on the calculations above, I will get 528.75 points (46.26*11.43 = 528.7518) and I will earn $1.85 CB on this transaction (528.75/11.43*.04 = $1.8504 or $46.26*0.04 = $1.8504). The net cashback you earn on this transaction will be $0.69 ($1.85-$1.16 = $0.69 or $46.26*0.015 = $0.6939)

You can apply for the card at the Rogers Bank website: https://www.rogersbank.com/en/card_deta ... mastercard (there is no GCR/RSM CB for applying)

NOTE: You can call or message in for a credit limit increase every 7 months. Very useful especially since a lot of us do not get a high initial credit limit on this card

More info will be added as they come in. Let me know if I am missing anything.
Last edited by Redmask on Jul 31st, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
3423 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3024 posts
1537 upvotes
Burnaby
has anyone been able to get mint to work, I've been emailing back and forth with their customer service reps and they are saying the issue lies on my end. It says the answers to my security questions are incorrect so cant add the account to mint but I've changed them and still it wont work.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
amplified wrote: has anyone been able to get mint to work, I've been emailing back and forth with their customer service reps and they are saying the issue lies on my end. It says the answers to my security questions are incorrect so cant add the account to mint but I've changed them and still it wont work.
Still doesn't look like it's working: https://mint.lc.intuit.com/questions/12 ... rd-to-mint
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
I can confirm I'm getting the cash back as a credit against my statement balance.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
Wait. You can redeem the CB on rewards app? I don't see that option.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Troydabes wrote: Wait. You can redeem the CB on rewards app? I don't see that option.
Yes, according to Rogers:
How do I manage my cash back rewards?
To manage and redeem rewards online, register here.

The MasterCard® Pay with Rewards™ app is an easy way to redeem on the go. Download it now - search on "Pay with Rewards" in App Store/Google Play.
https://www.rogersbank.com/en/
Nov 13, 2009
660 posts
306 upvotes
Oakville
amplified wrote: has anyone been able to get mint to work, I've been emailing back and forth with their customer service reps and they are saying the issue lies on my end. It says the answers to my security questions are incorrect so cant add the account to mint but I've changed them and still it wont work.
Same thing, I've been emailing them back and forth with no resolution
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Geodude19 wrote: I can confirm I'm getting the cash back as a credit against my statement balance.
Monthly? Because you're only supposed to be able to do it once a year by calling in.
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
angel_wing0 wrote: Did you call in or redeem through the loyalty website/app?
I'm pretty sure I set it up on the rewards site.
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
wearysky wrote: Monthly? Because you're only supposed to be able to do it once a year by calling in.
Yep, every month. This is the transaction description each month on my online statement:

Cash Back
Country Code: USA
Original Account Number: ************
Currency: CAD
Merchant: MASTERCARD INITIATED REBATE/REWARDS
Merchant Information: Cash Back
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Geodude19 wrote: I'm pretty sure I set it up on the rewards site.
I see, how did you set it up?

I dont see any options to redeem monthly when i m on the rewards site. All I see is this:

atomiton wrote: applied. still waiting.
Rogers actually called me twice to confirm info, and they approved me application during the 2nd call. Did they call you at all?
Jan 22, 2013
264 posts
68 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hm.. Will the annual fee be waived if you're pre-authorizing your Fido bill to the CC? Fine print explicitly states Fido when using the cash back, but doesn't mention it with the waived annual fee. Has anyone encountered this before?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
baingar wrote: Hm.. Will the annual fee be waived if you're pre-authorizing your Fido bill to the CC? Fine print explicitly states Fido when using the cash back, but doesn't mention it with the waived annual fee. Has anyone encountered this before?
Yes it *should* work because it's part of Rogers.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Geodude19 wrote: Yep, every month. This is the transaction description each month on my online statement:

Cash Back
Country Code: USA
Original Account Number: ************
Currency: CAD
Merchant: MASTERCARD INITIATED REBATE/REWARDS
Merchant Information: Cash Back
You have to meet the $20 minimum in points value and Rogers related charge. You are putting serious amount of expenses on this card. No 2% card I take it?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)