Shopping Discussion

Rogers Price Increase On Home Phone $3.00 Beginning July

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2019 6:30 pm
Feb 18, 2014
513 posts
310 upvotes

Rogers Price Increase On Home Phone $3.00 Beginning July

Just got my current bill and noticed a reminder under the Home Phone section stating a $3 increase for Home Phone. Presently I am on their 3 bundle package.
Anyone else getting this increase?
16 replies
Jan 18, 2018
473 posts
564 upvotes
I'm a bit late in replying to this, but my latest bill just increased this month by $3.
Looked at my last bill, and there was a warning of upcoming $3 increase.
So like you, but a few months later.

Edit: mine is for home internet only.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4103 posts
362 upvotes
Been more than happy with using OOMA for my home phone. Costs about $5 a month for the 911 service fee. Don't even notice any difference from using a normal phone line.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Nov 21, 2017
261 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
ephemera wrote: Been more than happy with using OOMA for my home phone. Costs about $5 a month for the 911 service fee. Don't even notice any difference from using a normal phone line.
Looking to switch to some sort of VOIP service for my home phone. For OOMA, were you able to use any handset or do you have to buy their handsets?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Qpzm25 wrote: Looking to switch to some sort of VOIP service for my home phone. For OOMA, were you able to use any handset or do you have to buy their handsets?
Fongo Home phone is another option
https://www.fongo.com/home-phone/
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Qpzm25 wrote: Looking to switch to some sort of VOIP service for my home phone. For OOMA, were you able to use any handset or do you have to buy their handsets?
You can use any handset.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
*laughs in voip.ms*

I don't even pay $3 let alone have an increase of $3.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
I went from Rogers home phone to VoIP.MS
Using my Rogers CGN3 modem/router with Obihai OBI200 phone adapter, the set up was easy as pie and phone service has been solid.

newegg-polycom-obi200-69-99-free-ground ... #p31357825
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
any handset. works great. been using OOMA for 3 years now. zero issues. even when I had 15 mbps internet
Mar 20, 2011
307 posts
219 upvotes
Langley, BC
+1 for OOMA, been using their service for several years as well with no issues. It's handy to have a landline as a backup and for guests to use, and ridiculously cheap when calling the US and other countries as well.
Mar 21, 2018
144 posts
212 upvotes
I agree with the above RFDers about OOMA. Been using it for a few years with not issues. And way cheaper to call the US. Recently got a Bell package that included internet, TV and free phone land line. But when I found out how much it was to call the US, decided to opt out of the phone and stick with OOMA.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Came here to complain about $3 increase on my Rogers 1gig internet starting this month.

For home phone, I am using fpl with obi202. Paying $0 monthly after inital $200 for obi and sip account and number transfer for past 3 years. Feels good I don't need to pay $5-$40 per month for all duct cleaning calls.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1263 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
If all you're going to do with an Obihai is setup voip.ms, just save yourself the money and get a Grandstream HT802 for $25 less from amazon.

death_hawk wrote: *laughs in voip.ms*

I don't even pay $3 let alone have an increase of $3.
voip.ms' e911 is US$1.50/month and a DID is US$0.85/month. + HST.

It's cheap and I've just moved my mom over too, but that's already over CAD$3 before your first call.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HammerRFDer wrote: voip.ms' e911 is US$1.50/month and a DID is US$0.85/month. + HST.

It's cheap and I've just moved my mom over too, but that's already over CAD$3 before your first call.
That's only if you enable e911 which I haven't.
No point when everyone has a cell phone nowadays.....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1263 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: That's only if you enable e911 which I haven't.
No point when everyone has a cell phone nowadays.....
If my mom could keep her cell phone next to her at all times reliably, we wouldn’t have set up the ATA/homeVOIP in the first place.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HammerRFDer wrote: If my mom could keep her cell phone next to her at all times reliably, we wouldn’t have set up the ATA/homeVOIP in the first place.
Mobility issues?

But this is more a unique case where it isn't practical.
Most of the population is far closer to their mobile phone than any sort of hard line.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1263 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Mobility issues?

But this is more a unique case where it isn't practical.
Most of the population is far closer to their mobile phone than any sort of hard line.
Old enough to not have a recurring thought to have a cell phone 5' away 24/7. And won't hear it if it rings while doing something else in the next room over. I too don't know how she survive(s|d).

But this is a thread about home phones, so we're all here for those unique cases. And if we want people to get off Rogers/Bell with VoIP, we're better off encouraging them to get an ATA instead of saying "get/learn how to depend on a cell phone".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)