• Aug 30th, 2017 10:20 pm
Tags:
Sep 27, 2003
8229 posts
1594 upvotes
Newmarket
ceredon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 12:04 pm
Maybe, but I don't see it as a $5 increase. That's taking what is effectively a $50 addon today and making it $5.
For regular travellers, a flat $5 monthly increase certainly becomes attractive at that point.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10422 posts
1909 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ceredon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 12:04 pm
Maybe, but I don't see it as a $5 increase. That's taking what is effectively a $50 addon today and making it $5.
Rogers would have to crank up its computers and determine which would generate more revenue....$5 per month, every month, increase for all Share Everything customers, or $50 occasionally for some Share Everything customers.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
This may be the worst excuse for a deal that I've ever seen. Rogers is charging $5/day, which is obviously profitable for them based on comparing rates from Roam Mobility, T-Mobile, etc. AND deducting your usage from your plan back in Canada, so you have less to use when you get home. They obviously have zero respect for the intelligence of their customers.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9880 posts
2325 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 12:21 pm
For regular travellers, a flat $5 monthly increase certainly becomes attractive at that point.
Very attractive. Too attractive, which is why I think its unlikely for Rogers.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 27, 2003
8229 posts
1594 upvotes
Newmarket
Vacillator wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 12:40 pm
This may be the worst excuse for a deal that I've ever seen. Rogers is charging $5/day, which is obviously profitable for them based on comparing rates from Roam Mobility, T-Mobile, etc. AND deducting your usage from your plan back in Canada, so you have less to use when you get home. They obviously have zero respect for the intelligence of their customers.
Devil's Advocate....Roam and T-Mobile are domestic US services. Rogers using AT&T is roaming, so it is likely they would pay a "higher" rate than Roam or T-Mobile to use the network in the US.
The majority of the profits are not from the $5 feature but from the increase in rate plan that is required to go along with it. $5 by itself is really not a high price to pay for continuity of service when one travels the border.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3444 posts
407 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 1:59 pm
Devil's Advocate....Roam and T-Mobile are domestic US services. Rogers using AT&T is roaming, so it is likely they would pay a "higher" rate than Roam or T-Mobile to use the network in the US.
The majority of the profits are not from the $5 feature but from the increase in rate plan that is required to go along with it. $5 by itself is really not a high price to pay for continuity of service when one travels the border.
I doubt Rogers is paying more then the others I would bet they pay a fair bit less as Att Roams on Rogers here
Sep 27, 2003
8229 posts
1594 upvotes
Newmarket
shushwap wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 2:44 pm
I doubt Rogers is paying more then the others I would bet they pay a fair bit less as Att Roams on Rogers here
I believe Rogers cost to roam on AT&T is higher than Roam's cost to be an MVNO on T-Mobile. It may be pennies difference, but the difference is still there.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9880 posts
2325 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 3:44 pm
I believe Rogers cost to roam on AT&T is higher than Roam's cost to be an MVNO on T-Mobile. It may be pennies difference, but the difference is still there.
Maybe, but it's really an almost arbitrary distinction. It's all just wholesale access in the end. And an argument could be made that Rogers provides a lot more in reciprocity that might allow them to get better rates than an MVNO, especially a small MVNO.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 27, 2003
8229 posts
1594 upvotes
Newmarket
ceredon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 3:59 pm
Maybe, but it's really an almost arbitrary distinction. It's all just wholesale access in the end. And an argument could be made that Rogers provides a lot more in reciprocity that might allow them to get better rates than an MVNO, especially a small MVNO.
Exactly...the MVNO has nothing to offer T-Mobile in return...Rogers on the other hand has an entire network to offer to AT&T.

That being said, there is a perceived "added value" in being able to use your domestic service while travelling. Even if it costs Rogers nothing, it is a valid markup for services offered since it is not in their home area.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Vacillator wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 12:40 pm
Nah, this is MUCH better if you're already on one of those Share Everything plans. Why would they not deduct from your usage in Canada? It only makes sense from a billing standpoint and consumer ease. The roaming packages cause too much confusion, and people tend to go over. Now you have one all-inclusive North American plan. For once, Rogers is doing something right, I really cannot fault them here. Let's see what they do for Europe next.

Yeah, Rogers will definitely have to some analysis to see if the $5 increase across the board is worth it for everyone or just the select few.

Keep in mind, this is a win for many on the Share Everything plan. Going to NYC/Vegas for a couple days, much easier to use.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 3:44 pm
Believe doesn't mean you know. I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows.
Jul 21, 2003
900 posts
134 upvotes
Wind roams on TMO and AT&T and is obviously way cheaper.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4177 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
juggie wrote:
Nov 15th, 2014 1:35 am
Wind roams on TMO and AT&T and is obviously way cheaper.
For long term use and for Wind users, that is true.
But for non-Wind users hopping for short trips here and there, T Mobile or Roam Mob win
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
LostInTruth wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 5:30 pm
Nah, this is MUCH better if you're already on one of those Share Everything plans. Why would they not deduct from your usage in Canada? It only makes sense from a billing standpoint and consumer ease. The roaming packages cause too much confusion, and people tend to go over. Now you have one all-inclusive North American plan. For once, Rogers is doing something right, I really cannot fault them here. Let's see what they do for Europe next.

Yeah, Rogers will definitely have to some analysis to see if the $5 increase across the board is worth it for everyone or just the select few.

Keep in mind, this is a win for many on the Share Everything plan. Going to NYC/Vegas for a couple days, much easier to use.
That was exactly my point, since they're charging you more than it would cost you with Roam, T-Mobile, etc. on a day-by-day plan which comes with its own allotment of minutes/data, how then are Rogers justified in double-dipping and using minutes/data from your plan back home? They've got both hands in their customers' back pockets, but it seems many of them react by bending over and smiling? :razz:
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Vacillator wrote:
Nov 15th, 2014 10:57 am
That was exactly my point, since they're charging you more than it would cost you with Roam, T-Mobile, etc. on a day-by-day plan which comes with its own allotment of minutes/data, how then are Rogers justified in double-dipping and using minutes/data from your plan back home? They've got both hands in their customers' back pockets, but it seems many of them react by bending over and smiling? :razz:
You can use your Canadian number in the states..that's big advantage ..a lot better than getting Tmobile Sim via eBay..topping up before you go and every 3 mths after and still carrying around a second phone with rogers Sim so Canadian contacts can reach you .

I have Tmobile prepay but the rogers option is much more attractive from convenience and quality aspect

Tmobile is still junk in many places in the states even in cities let alone the burbs...I had to use my Rogers phone a few times since Tmobile was unusable in Florida and California and Nevada

Also no tethering on Tmobile