Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Nov 16, 2005
69 posts
mondex wrote: Double click on the picture and it will open bigger. then click it again and it will become 1600x1200. Thanks for posting this by the way.

Being a new customer is aweful. The best deal I could get it not that good...retentions have all the good deals, but obviously as a new customer I can't get to the retention department. I told the guy, if you could offer me the prices my friends who already have rogers are getting, i would switch in a minute. he told me those codes are only available to retentions who are trying to keep current customers from moving. Talk about a catch 22.

Thanks for telling me how to see the images properly (and thanks to the OP for the pics) - but I don't see how this means that I'm in for a big surprise...
It is amazing to see those pics because I now realize why one Rogers rep put on the Nature + Adventure pack, and why the next one realized I'd prefer a month free of specialty channels. These are the docs they are perusing when they say 'let's see what else I can give you'. Interesting to say the least, yet it doesn't say that my bill will not be what they said it will be... unless I'm confused?!
Jul 11, 2007
55 posts
172 upvotes
TanyaTO wrote: Thanks for telling me how to see the images properly (and thanks to the OP for the pics) - but I don't see how this means that I'm in for a big surprise...
It is amazing to see those pics because I now realize why one Rogers rep put on the Nature + Adventure pack, and why the next one realized I'd prefer a month free of specialty channels. These are the docs they are perusing when they say 'let's see what else I can give you'. Interesting to say the least, yet it doesn't say that my bill will not be what they said it will be... unless I'm confused?!
Thanks jcoltage for those docs you posted. Having something like this is really helpful and I really appreciate it.

According to these papers, it looks like Victor is giving everyone code DXQ on the second page (satellite winback offer). VIP is regular 65 bucks, so when you add this 30 dollar discount, that is how he gets to $35 a month. And since you are really suppose to trade in an satellite receiver (although it appears they don't seem to be enforcing that), they give you a SD box in exchange. Interesting.

With regards to the "I was suppose to get a HD PVR box", I am guessing that is not really true, but Victor knows that Rogers will likely do it to keep your business. As I mentioned, signing up new customers is one set of codes and retaining customers is another. Since you have 30 days to cancel with no penalty after you join (this is what a rep told me), I bet customer service is giving you this HD PVR to keep you a customer and not have you cancel.

The real question now is, can you combine offers. Specifically, if I tell them i want the $35 deal, can I also ask for free installation as that is currently being offered as a deal?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2002
3005 posts
173 upvotes
I haven't read all the posts, but I have a question.

I live in a townhouse condo where Rogers has a monopoly because the board won't allow the installation of satellite dishes. If I call into retentions, will they take me seriously, or will they know that I'm pretty much stuck with them because of where I live? Please help! Rogers' fees are killing my bank account!
Jul 11, 2007
55 posts
172 upvotes
Migger wrote: I haven't read all the posts, but I have a question.

I live in a townhouse condo where Rogers has a monopoly because the board won't allow the installation of satellite dishes. If I call into retentions, will they take me seriously, or will they know that I'm pretty much stuck with them because of where I live? Please help! Rogers' fees are killing my bank account!
Rogers won't have a clue that your specific building has those rules...I guarantee it. Call in, tell them you are going to move to Bell, and see what they can do. Even if you get a bad rep and he says "nothing", you can just say that you are going to setup bell and call back to cancel. Then try another rep. Just cause you go to retentions doesn't mean you need to follow through and cancel. But Rogers won't have a clue that your building has rules for satellite...how could they?
Nov 16, 2005
69 posts
mondex wrote: Rogers won't have a clue that your specific building has those rules...I guarantee it. Call in, tell them you are going to move to Bell, and see what they can do. Even if you get a bad rep and he says "nothing", you can just say that you are going to setup bell and call back to cancel. Then try another rep. Just cause you go to retentions doesn't mean you need to follow through and cancel. But Rogers won't have a clue that your building has rules for satellite...how could they?

I don't think it could hurt... however, Bell just broke the Rogers monopoly in my condo, and when I called Bell, they were able to see that a new satellite dish was just installed on our building's roof.

Even if they know you can only have Rogers, threaten to get your own dish. Many people break condo rules, and it would seem to be a possibility in their eyes... just a suggestion. Good luck.
Nov 1, 2006
85 posts
10 upvotes
Jeff146 wrote: Any luck with it or are they saying no chance?
Didn't get a chance last night, will try tonight hopefully if I get home at a decent time.
MaxwellMcGee wrote: Been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I too followed this thread, called up Victor to hook up the VIP deal for $35 and he said that once I signed up for the deal with a regular non-PVR SD box, he guaranteed that I'd be able to upgrade to a HD PVR for free a week later.

So when I called him about the upgrade, I got the same response as Chris: "call customer service and ask for one".

Expecting the worst, I called customer service last night and told them that I was a former Bell ExpressVu customer that had signed up for the Rogers Cable package on a win-back promo. Told them I was expecting to have received an HD PVR with the deal but instead got a regular SD box instead. The girl on the other end put me on hold for a few minutes said she didn't know how to do this on my account and she'd have to inquire. Came back on the line a few minutes later and said my account was being updated and I could take my old SD box into a Rogers or Rogers Plus store today and have it swapped for an HD PVR free for a year.

I stopped by a Rogers store this morning and did the swap -- no issues at all. So I can verify it works.

Just FYI, I called the general 1.888.ROGERS1 number and asked for a TV rep. Didn't speak to anyone special in Retentions or anywhere else.

Good luck to everyone else trying this deal -- hopefully your experience is as easy as mine was!
Thanks for the info, hopefully I'm as lucky. What Victor promised me was a free upgrade of my hd box to an hd pvr and also *keep* the hd box (I needed 2 boxes). Lets hope it's as easy for me as it was for you...

Thanks,
Chris
Oct 18, 2006
542 posts
62 upvotes
Would like to ask for opinions here...

I just called into Rogers to inquire about getting new cable TV set up. I was offered:

Digital VIP
HD PVR

$61.84+tax = $69.88, for 12 months, free installation

I was a previous customer with essentially the same package until this spring, and cancelled when my promo was expiring. I currently have no cable/sattelite service with any company.

Is this a good deal, or are there better promos to be had?

Thanks!
Nov 16, 2005
69 posts
dealguy1 wrote: Would like to ask for opinions here...

I just called into Rogers to inquire about getting new cable TV set up. I was offered:

Digital VIP
HD PVR

$61.84+tax = $69.88, for 12 months, free installation

I was a previous customer with essentially the same package until this spring, and cancelled when my promo was expiring. I currently have no cable/sattelite service with any company.

Is this a good deal, or are there better promos to be had?

Thanks!

You should be able to get HD specialty for a month free.

You should also be able to get either 20% or $30 off VIP as a new customer from what I've read of the posts. Did you read through?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1057 posts
508 upvotes
Ontario
Migger wrote: I live in a townhouse condo where Rogers has a monopoly because the board won't allow the installation of satellite dishes.
mondex wrote: Rogers won't have a clue that your specific building has those rules...I guarantee it.
I'm guessing that would depend on where you live and who you talk to. I live in a complex like this and Rogers knows it. They call it a bulk account. Having said that, I was able to get a 2 year HDPVR deal last November due to them forcing me to switch my phone over to them (long story and a lot of time spent talking to them).

Last month they changed the rental price and my 2 year deal disappeared. I called them and after being put through from one department to another I was told that the retentions department has to contact the major accounts department to get this straighten out. After what I've gone through with them (BTW, I can't get the VIP package because the deal they have with my complex won't allow it) I wouldn't be surprised if they said they can't do it. I'm not gonna give up easy though.
Mar 23, 2008
861 posts
233 upvotes
Scarborough
Hey guys,

It just so happens that my promotions for all my services end today.

I've got:

VIP Package at with a 20% off Discount
1 Year HD PVR Free
Hi-Speed Extreme at the price of Hi-Speed Express.

So after today, All the packages go up to regular price which I'm DEFINATELY not too happy about.

How would I go about trying to get them to extend my promotions? Call in to cancel? Or?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2002
3005 posts
173 upvotes
mfrania wrote: I'm guessing that would depend on where you live and who you talk to. I live in a complex like this and Rogers knows it. They call it a bulk account. Having said that, I was able to get a 2 year HDPVR deal last November due to them forcing me to switch my phone over to them (long story and a lot of time spent talking to them).

Last month they changed the rental price and my 2 year deal disappeared. I called them and after being put through from one department to another I was told that the retentions department has to contact the major accounts department to get this straighten out. After what I've gone through with them (BTW, I can't get the VIP package because the deal they have with my complex won't allow it) I wouldn't be surprised if they said they can't do it. I'm not gonna give up easy though.
Thanks for the info... I'll call them up tonight anyway - it can't hurt. I probably should also call Bell to see what they're offering, or if they've got a workaround... more ammo for the Rogers call.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
This might be a little off topic but I was wondering if a HD PVR will work with a standard definition TV?

I'm asking this because I'm going to get the deal with HD PVR but I'm not buying a TV just yet ... maybe in the next month or so.

Does anyone know if it still works?

Thanks,
Jeff
Oct 4, 2007
50 posts
Yes it will work.
Jeff146 wrote: This might be a little off topic but I was wondering if a HD PVR will work with a standard definition TV?

I'm asking this because I'm going to get the deal with HD PVR but I'm not buying a TV just yet ... maybe in the next month or so.

Does anyone know if it still works?

Thanks,
Jeff
Feb 14, 2005
843 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
I've been on the phone with retentions for a while now.

Apparently, the new 20% off code cannot be used in conjuction with the free PVR code (or so they say). As a result, I had to settle for the free PVR.

Still waiting for callback though. Hopefully the manager can shed some light on what is going on.
Mar 14, 2004
689 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
signed up with victor, had cable installed this past weekend, and called up cs and got a PVR. :D

Thx again for the info!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
aming wrote: Yes it will work.
Perfect! That's good that it works.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
raxen wrote: I've been on the phone with retentions for a while now.

Apparently, the new 20% off code cannot be used in conjuction with the free PVR code (or so they say). As a result, I had to settle for the free PVR.

Still waiting for callback though. Hopefully the manager can shed some light on what is going on.
When you say the "free PVR code", do you mean the "free for life" code?

If so, for those that have the free pvr for life, do you have this 20% off promo?
Feb 14, 2005
843 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
skanji wrote: When you say the "free PVR code", do you mean the "free for life" code?

If so, for those that have the free pvr for life, do you have this 20% off promo?
Got a call back from the Manager from retentions.

No dice on getting 20% and free PVR (for 2 years) together on one bill. Had to settle for free PVR (2 years) and 15% better choice bundle discount instead. The manager did credit me for the 5% difference though, so I guess the call back amounted to something.

To those who have both listed on their bill, enjoy it while it lasts.
Mar 23, 2008
861 posts
233 upvotes
Scarborough
01s0uljah wrote: Hey guys,

It just so happens that my promotions for all my services end today.

I've got:

VIP Package at with a 20% off Discount
1 Year HD PVR Free
Hi-Speed Extreme at the price of Hi-Speed Express.

So after today, All the packages go up to regular price which I'm DEFINATELY not too happy about.

How would I go about trying to get them to extend my promotions? Call in to cancel? Or?
Anybody know If I'll have a chance to renew these promos I currently have? My last day is today and I'll have to call tonight.. Not too sure what I'll have to settle for..
Jun 2, 2008
326 posts
30 upvotes
Not a big TV watcher, but like have basic channels. Just got of free digital TV promo last year and am sitting on just analog cable for 29.99. Rogers promotions called offering free lifetime PVR with $2.99/month for service. Not bad to get digital TV and PVR for $32.98/mo b/f tax.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)