Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017)

Sep 21, 2015
151 posts
65 upvotes
London, ON
malaujai wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:25 pm
Complete sidebar but ... what can I really maximize my gigabit internet with?
For the most part? Speedtests
Feb 4, 2017
70 posts
74 upvotes
cleacy1972 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:35 pm
For the most part? Speedtests
+1. Speedtest is the only thing that can max out the connection. Google drive does about 500mbps. I don't know of any other faster servers.
Sep 21, 2015
151 posts
65 upvotes
London, ON
CheapMang wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 6:11 pm
+1. Speedtest is the only thing that can max out the connection. Google drive does about 500mbps. I don't know of any other faster servers.
Actually, it is possible, though speedtests are the only common location. You might find the occasional torrent that has so many people seeding it (also on high speed connections), with very few people other then yourself downloading it that it has the potential to saturate your connection (not often or likely). The primary one however would probably be usenet. Most providers are on backbone connections, and an unlimited connection there across multiple threads could do it. There's no real value to that, however. So you can attempt to download a copy of every dvd ever published, never watch them, and erase your harddrive every day or two because you ran out of space, and then repeat?

Of more value is the upstream, not the downstream (after 50mbit or so). As an example of a legal (and likely soon to be common) usage, I bought a wifi 720p security camera off Amazon this week (arrriving tomorrow!). I need to figure out how well it works/coverage/etc first, but eventually my intention is to have multiple security cameras setup to a nas off my router, and realtime echoing of the nas/video footage into the cloud for offsite storage. This does need a good upstream.
Feb 4, 2017
70 posts
74 upvotes
cleacy1972 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 7:09 pm
Actually, it is possible, though speedtests are the only common location. You might find the occasional torrent that has so many people seeding it (also on high speed connections), with very few people other then yourself downloading it that it has the potential to saturate your connection (not often or likely). The primary one however would probably be usenet. Most providers are on backbone connections, and an unlimited connection there across multiple threads could do it. There's no real value to that, however. So you can attempt to download a copy of every dvd ever published, never watch them, and erase your harddrive every day or two because you ran out of space, and then repeat?

Of more value is the upstream, not the downstream (after 50mbit or so). As an example of a legal (and likely soon to be common) usage, I bought a wifi 720p security camera off Amazon this week (arrriving tomorrow!). I need to figure out how well it works/coverage/etc first, but eventually my intention is to have multiple security cameras setup to a nas off my router, and realtime echoing of the nas/video footage into the cloud for offsite storage. This does need a good upstream.
I don't use Torrent so can't comment on that. However, I do use usenet and the max is still about 500mbps even with 30 threads on. For me, I have never had any source other than speedtest that can near the 1gbps mark.
Mar 10, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi @zaidiboy,
Is this $99 Gigabit Internet + Popular TV promo still available?
I am a real "new customer" and ready to set it up right now.
I would really appreciate if you contact me ASAP.
Thank you,
fdream
Feb 27, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
kingtosh82 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:49 pm
Spent 75 minutes on the phone with Rogers. Bounced back and forth between sales and retentions. They said U63 is expired and no retention promotions that are currently available come close to what U63 offered.

Oh well....
It is available I got u63 so as my friend yesterday
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1892 posts
231 upvotes
Ottawa
MandS2017 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:08 am
It is available I got u63 so as my friend yesterday
Perfect! :)
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Feb 27, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
A week ago I tried the promotion via phone and I was denied. Yesterday I tried via Facebook chat. I wasn't able to get the U63 'cause they said I'd need to add a new service (TV or Internet), but I was able to make my plan price go down to $99.99 ($113 after taxes). Currently I have a 250u with the popular TV. I was paying $130 (before taxes).
Dec 22, 2011
8 posts
Rogers pushed me too far the last 2 weeks. I had the $99 package given to me on chat then when I tried to confirm they said oh no nothing has been changed.

I then called the moving dept as I'm moving, explained my situation and the concierge said this package isnt available in my area and for all my trouble she will get a manager to give me a years worth of credits so I can get unlimited internet at the same price im paying now.
She promised to call me back this past tues to confirm the credits.

Never got a call of course so I called in last nighr..first person had no idea so i said i wanted to cancel everything. Then she says im on a contract. I was never aware of this. Then she transfers me to a man he says the same thing. Then he puts me through to a manager and she goes "internet has gone up recently so since i cant give you unlimited i will just cancel as per your wishes."

Why does rogers need to lie. I'm done. Cant spend hours and hours on the phone with them. Now the question is what to do now. Bell isnt any better.
Jul 2, 2007
760 posts
20 upvotes
fabglamgreat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:40 am
Rogers pushed me too far the last 2 weeks. I had the $99 package given to me on chat then when I tried to confirm they said oh no nothing has been changed.

I then called the moving dept as I'm moving, explained my situation and the concierge said this package isnt available in my area and for all my trouble she will get a manager to give me a years worth of credits so I can get unlimited internet at the same price im paying now.

Never got a call of course so I called in last nighr..first person had no idea so i said i wanted to cancel everything. Then she says im on a contract. I was never aware of this. Then she transfers me to a man he says the same thing. Then he puts me through to a manager and she goes "internet has gone up recently so since i cant give you unlimited i will just cancel as per your wishes."

Why does rogers need to lie. I'm done. Cant spend hours and hours on the phone with them. Now the question is what to do now. Bell isnt any better.
Shouldn't you have a very strong case if you've got it on chat? There are logs and it is easily quotable and verifiable. I would probably push this to the OotP/Ombudsman based on that point alone. Everything else after just adds to your woes/complaint.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2303 posts
1468 upvotes
Pickering, ON
fdream wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:14 pm
Hi @zaidiboy,
Is this $99 Gigabit Internet + Popular TV promo still available?
I am a real "new customer" and ready to set it up right now.
I would really appreciate if you contact me ASAP.
Thank you,
fdream
yes, it is still available
Account Manager for a Rogers reseller (Business and Residential Products - FIELD SALES) Raptors Tickets for sale - 2016-2017-toronto-raptors-tickets-all-games-2041511/ #WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2303 posts
1468 upvotes
Pickering, ON
malaujai wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:02 am
Shouldn't you have a very strong case if you've got it on chat? There are logs and it is easily quotable and verifiable. I would probably push this to the OotP/Ombudsman based on that point alone. Everything else after just adds to your woes/complaint.
i agree. that is just ridiculous

follow the pdf file that was provided in this thread.
Account Manager for a Rogers reseller (Business and Residential Products - FIELD SALES) Raptors Tickets for sale - 2016-2017-toronto-raptors-tickets-all-games-2041511/ #WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
1841 posts
615 upvotes
TORONTO
fabglamgreat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:40 am

Do you have a Chat log saved? What exactly did they say to you?
Apr 15, 2005
195 posts
14 upvotes
Ajax
Quick question. I called Retentions this afternoon by doing my usual route of calling the regular number and using the automated menu to get to cancel services. The CSR I got stated his name and that he's from Ottawa. Whenever I've called Retentions in the past, they never said where they were from. This only happened when I called to speak to a regular CSR (ie billing). I was asking to get a credit extended and he didn't do the usual "let me take a look at your account and see what we can do for you" thing - he said "no" right away. Which, again, is odd based on my past experience. Did I somehow get re-routed to a non-Retentions CSR?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
1841 posts
615 upvotes
TORONTO
jadephoenixx wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:30 pm
Quick question. I called Retentions this afternoon by doing my usual route of calling the regular number and using the automated menu to get to cancel services. The CSR I got stated his name and that he's from Ottawa. Whenever I've called Retentions in the past, they never said where they were from. This only happened when I called to speak to a regular CSR (ie billing). I was asking to get a credit extended and he didn't do the usual "let me take a look at your account and see what we can do for you" thing - he said "no" right away. Which, again, is odd based on my past experience. Did I somehow get re-routed to a non-Retentions CSR?
I can think of at least 20 reasons which this might have occurred so to answer your question would be nothing short of guessing. Just call again, someone else will pick up the phone and the results will likely differ as well.