Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017)

Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13003 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 12:39 pm
I also frequently download gigabytes-sized stuff... But even at 100 Mbps (~10 MBps), it takes only 100 seconds to download a gigabyte,
so for me this speed limit is not an annoyance at all.

An annoying bottleneck seems to be the upload speed (10 Mbps),
I'm wondering why is it so asymmetric for the cable internet ?
(Fibre DSL seems to be more symmetric?)
We have to get gigabit download speed just to have 50 mbits up which is brutally sloooow. As for your example on how 100 mbits is plenty fast. Try that arithmetic when there are several people on the network trying to do the same thing and maybe with a couple of devices each. Around 300-500 mbits is a good speed, if only upload was the same.
Aug 23, 2013
595 posts
169 upvotes
Scarborough
I plan on switching from bell due to price increases/poor service.

I have Fibe 50, Fibe TV + Extra TV Package + Home Phone for $205. I'm at the point where I am sick of paying that much.

I only have Mobile Service for Rogers.

What type of offers should I look for when I call rogers this week since technically I am a new customer for these services.

What I'm looking to get,

- 100mbps Internet + Unlimited Bandwidth
- Indian TV Package which would have like 5-6 channels (Maybe basic cable depending on price)
- Home Phone Service (Caller ID, Answering Machine, Call Waiting)

If someone can mention me some prices I should expect after taxes, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bleachway
Sep 21, 2015
204 posts
94 upvotes
London, ON
will888 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:41 pm
We have to get gigabit download speed just to have 50 mbits up which is brutally sloooow. As for your example on how 100 mbits is plenty fast. Try that arithmetic when there are several people on the network trying to do the same thing and maybe with a couple of devices each. Around 300-500 mbits is a good speed, if only upload was the same.
That's not quite true.

When it comes to downstream, i've been trying to decide if I want to drop to 75u next spring when my contract expires. I have 4 adults using the internet connection / no 4K equipment.

I think i'm on the same promotion as you, the $99 vip+gigabit from June 2016. It's a great package sure, but i've been looking at it in regards to what i'm going to do when it expires next spring. If they offered to renew at the same price? I'd probably keep it 'just because'. However: I've got a ton of tv channels no-one watches, and for the internet...

For testing, I put a router prior to the modem with a 75mbit/10mbit cap on it about a month ago. I haven't seen any difference myself, and haven't had any complaints from any other users.

I also have no need for a huge upstream. My security cameras do store offsite, but the bandwidth used by them isn't particularly bad.

It's entirely household related. Some houses only need 1 freezer. How many freezers do you need?

Upstream is of terrible importance to some people yes. You can't compare speed interests though between someone heavily using upstream vs downstream.
Nov 7, 2012
36 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm an existing customer and my promo is running out next month, currently paying $117 taxes in for Ignite 100 unlimited + Digital Plus (I think, one of the old cable packages). They offered me Ignite 150 unlimited + Popular TV for $124 taxes in - is this a decent deal or can I do better? Sorry been really out of the loop
Oct 24, 2010
30 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Just got the following deal via facebook chat:

its called the internet standalone offer: $67 taxes in for 150u internet for 12 months.

I was paying $82 taxes in for 100u before the chat

cheers.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1129 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
WollaBilla wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 12:39 pm
I'm an existing customer and my promo is running out next month, currently paying $117 taxes in for Ignite 100 unlimited + Digital Plus (I think, one of the old cable packages). They offered me Ignite 150 unlimited + Popular TV for $124 taxes in - is this a decent deal or can I do better? Sorry been really out of the loop
I got the exact same price, except that it also includes superstations pack and US time shifting channels ($3 each pack).
Celebrating 14+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2503 posts
1551 upvotes
Pickering, ON
WollaBilla wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 12:39 pm
Thats OK. But you can still do better. Field sales offer for they promo is 99.99 + HsT with home phone
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2503 posts
1551 upvotes
Pickering, ON
pxkxb wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 8:16 pm
Just got the following deal via facebook chat:

its called the internet standalone offer: $67 taxes in for 150u internet for 12 months.

I was paying $82 taxes in for 100u before the chat

cheers.
Awesome! Thats the field sales offer
#WeTheNorth
Dec 3, 2006
183 posts
2 upvotes
Current Rogers cable and internet customer here in New Brunswick. I called retention a few days ago. Was on hold, on and off for about 90 minutes, so they gave me a $50 credit for that. They were trying to give me a deal that, apparently, was only available if you add TV. At least that<s what they said.

They still haven't figured out how to give it to me officially on their system, but they said they will credit me manually until they do to give me the price below.

I ended up getting the following:

Popular TV
Ignite 30 (250G limit)
Home Phone (unlimited North America calling)
HDPVR

$99 + taxes
Sep 13, 2012
172 posts
36 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Acadian wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 1:14 pm
Current Rogers cable and internet customer here in New Brunswick. I called retention a few days ago. Was on hold, on and off for about 90 minutes, so they gave me a $50 credit for that.
Live chat recently wasted my time for 3 hours (twice "disappearing" for 40 minutes) while I inquired about pricing and services. Seems like you were credited on the same scale after I received $100 for my experience. What infuriated me was after disconnecting the chat on her end the live chat agent simply made a couple of notes on my account in order to successfully wrap things up but made no effort to contact me back. I made a point of repeatedly telling her this was a rare window of free time I had and invested the time to deal with my account. When they are that sloppy, don't let them off the hook.

A member of the family mentioned receiving warnings about internet usage hitting the cap. This was for Ignite 60 @ $59.99. I advised her to call cancellations and explained to her what to reference in terms of the Bell offers in the Bell Internet/TV/Home Phone RFD thread. The cancellation agent offered her 150u for $55 including modem for 12 months and since this was done during her billing cycle the overage wasn't going to be charged. She was pleased. This took place a little over 2 weeks ago for the record but I forgot to share here.
ROGERS Goodwill Credits
2017 (To Date): $2,860.04 2016: $1,113.72 2015: $1,184.98 2014: $285.56 2013: $225.11 2012: $154.77 Don't get mad...escalate & get credits.™
Mar 25, 2009
409 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
zaidyboy wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:16 pm
Thats OK. But you can still do better. Field sales offer for they promo is 99.99 + HsT with home phone
zaidyboy: when i contacted you you told me that field sales offers are for NEW customers only. you keep responding to me and other EXISTING customers like the one above that we can get better deals trough field sales which is confusing ....
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2503 posts
1551 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mcfrugal wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:43 pm
zaidyboy: when i contacted you you told me that field sales offers are for NEW customers only. you keep responding to me and other EXISTING customers like the one above that we can get better deals trough field sales which is confusing ....
No, im responding to a current customer who is getting a similar offer to the field sales promos through retention or fb chat. It requires some patience and effort which some don’t have.
#WeTheNorth
Sep 21, 2015
204 posts
94 upvotes
London, ON
mcfrugal wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:43 pm
If an offer is available through field sales, it's also available through facebook/phone/etc -IF- you get lucky and are communicating with the correct person. Assume you've got a 1% chance = Keep calling back until you get lucky (or give up and accept something different). It's time consuming on purpose.
Sep 21, 2015
204 posts
94 upvotes
London, ON
Question:

When it comes to account renewals, I know i've seen comments previously with people having recurring monthly discounts applied to their bills ($20, etc). Is there a maximum monthly amount, and what is Rogers policy with it? Is it something only available to retention, supervisors, or management?

I'm guessing when I go off contract extra plus will go to $80/month... If I could get that combined with a $40 recurring monthly discount, though...
Mar 25, 2009
409 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
cleacy1972 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:51 pm
If an offer is available through field sales, it's also available through facebook/phone/etc -IF- you get lucky and are communicating with the correct person. Assume you've got a 1% chance = Keep calling back until you get lucky (or give up and accept something different). It's time consuming on purpose.
"assume you've got a 1% chance" = THAT explains everything ..... not everyone has time to call Rogers twice a day ..... thanks for the insight .....

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

DennyT, lyricidal, Steelhawk