Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
qualdoth wrote: Wow, I can't believe these companies are charging people $40+ for home phone. Yikes. You're right to look at something like Ooma.
Yup, it was "alright" paying $20 for homephone; but when my discounts expired and they wanted to boost it up to $49; I switched to Ooma and now enjoying a few hundred of dollars in savings for the exact same technology, call quality and reliability!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1186 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I called Rogers to give them my 30 day cancellation notice (so that I could call/get a call from Winback). They told me they cancelled the notice period on Jan 26, or something along those lines, so if I wanted to cancel... I would cancel on the spot and lose all my services. I obviously didn't want to do all of that, so I said I would get back to them.

Is there anyway to call Winback at this point without losing my services? As I have Internet, TV & home phone with Rogers... Can't really afford to lose them.
Jan 9, 2011
411 posts
45 upvotes
DreamSanctuary wrote: I called Rogers to give them my 30 day cancellation notice (so that I could call/get a call from Winback). They told me they cancelled the notice period on Jan 26, or something along those lines, so if I wanted to cancel... I would cancel on the spot and lose all my services. I obviously didn't want to do all of that, so I said I would get back to them.

Is there anyway to call Winback at this point without losing my services? As I have Internet, TV & home phone with Rogers... Can't really afford to lose them.

You can specify when you want to cancel it. For example, I gave them 5 days and called winback myself that evening. See my posts above.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1186 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Msh3ll wrote: You can specify when you want to cancel it. For example, I gave them 5 days and called winback myself that evening. See my posts above.
Okay, thanks. I'll try that. The lady I got on the phone seemed to try and call my bluff. She's like 'you actually have to give us no notice, when you find a better deal, just call us and cancel'.

Also, did you have any deals to compare to? When you're cancelling, what deals did you say you were offered, if any? I think the fact I didn't have any alternatives, or deals that I could say were offered to me.. they didn't bother to give me a decent deal.

I was offered 15% off everything, (internet, TV, home phone) - Free rentals.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1186 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto, ON
greygables wrote: Last week Winback 1877-232-3028 did offer 30% off. This was after a call from a different 1-800 number (teleperformance) and after talking to rententions who had offer 25 % off. Also it's really helps to have a competitors quote(bell) and keep hammering away at them with what you are being offered.
Which Bell deal did you quote?
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6255 upvotes
DreamSanctuary wrote: I called Rogers to give them my 30 day cancellation notice (so that I could call/get a call from Winback). They told me they cancelled the notice period on Jan 26, or something along those lines, so if I wanted to cancel... I would cancel on the spot and lose all my services. I obviously didn't want to do all of that, so I said I would get back to them.

Why. Get OOMA for phone at $4.00/month, get Electronic Box for Internet at $30/month for 6 months and figure out TV, options available depending on what you watch.
Nov 13, 2008
405 posts
124 upvotes
toronto
Msh3ll wrote: So I had a fun time yesterday.

I decided to call them in the evening, they offered me the following:

20% off VIP cable, total was $78.xx
20% off Internet (HF 60 + 200gb for 3 services), total was $63.xx
20% off home phone (2 features plus $5 LD), total was $30.xx

Total she quoted was $167.xx plus tax. I said thanks but no thanks.

I decided to post in the bell thread yesterday as well, was PMed an email of someone that works at bell and spoke to him last night too. At this point I was just looking for internet and TV as I've settled to move my phone services to something like Ooma. So all I had him quote was their Fibe service (you can't have internet without TV and vice versa). He quoted me $125+tax for the two services, this gave me their 'great' tv package and 25/10/100gb internet service. At this point I was pretty much sold BUT wanted to discuss with my DH.

I decided this morning that I would give Rogers another call at their winback number. I told them I wanted to drop the phone, but wanted their 'BEST' offer as I was talking to bell last night and they pretty much have my business if they don't ante-up.

She came back and said the following:

25% off VIP TV, $2.50 for the PVR, free HD terminal: $68.06 taxes in.
25% off Int HB 60 (120gb), free modem, I'd LOSE my extra 200gb because I'm dropping the phone but 120gb is plenty for me anyway: $56.20 taxes in.
25% off home phone: $42.47 taxes in

total of $166.73. I asked her if I dropped the home phone would the other prices remain, she said yes but I'd lose my 200gb 'bonus'.

So grand total $124.26 (taxes in) without home phone. So Rogers has now beat Bell.

I told her I would think about it and call back. She wasn't happy about it and asked me why, I said I wanted to think about it. GEEZ!!!

I might call Bell and see if they are willing to match.

PS: Rogers said it's a 2 year price guarantee, no contract
PPS: Bell said it's a 1 year price guarantee, no contract

:lol:
what exactly did Bell offer - i am going through the same thing now with rogers... would like to get the details right... Especially with the Tv package
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
bobcat99 wrote: Why. Get OOMA for phone at $4.00/month, get Electronic Box for Internet at $30/month for 6 months and figure out TV, options available depending on what you watch.
Easier said then done, for those that only knows robbers or bhell!
It took me 15yrs of being robbed, until I finally decided to cut my services and now down to 1 out of 4!
Oct 17, 2013
968 posts
715 upvotes
DreamSanctuary wrote: Which Bell deal did you quote?
I contacted a few different bell reps and I went at Rogers with the best deal I received. $109 for three services for one year plus a $100 prepaid visa gift card.
Jan 4, 2014
567 posts
84 upvotes
greygables wrote: I contacted a few different bell reps and I went at Rogers with the best deal I received. $109 for three services for one year plus a $100 prepaid visa gift card.
I tried that when I was negotiating last month with Rogers but the problem is for equivalent level of service, Bell was actually more expensive for me and I talked to 3 different reps.
Jan 9, 2011
411 posts
45 upvotes
amitabh9 wrote: what exactly did Bell offer - i am going through the same thing now with rogers... would like to get the details right... Especially with the Tv package
Bell offered their 'Better' TV package with 2 receivers and Fibe 25/10/100gb for $125 + HST. This was through another contact in another thread (for Bell), not directly from 310-bell. I don't believe you'll get that deal by just calling 310-bell.
Jun 6, 2011
396 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
Customers that have Rogers Digital Cable ONLY can get 3 months free Internet of the fibre 60 with 320gb, also get home phone for $9.95, must be an existing Cable Customer and not presently have Internet for the internet offer, the $9.95 phone package is for customers that either have Cable or Internet of both Cable and Internet, price is good for 1 year, contact on page 1 of thread for new customer deals.
Oct 17, 2013
968 posts
715 upvotes
tiredofrogers wrote: I tried that when I was negotiating last month with Rogers but the problem is for equivalent level of service, Bell was actually more expensive for me and I talked to 3 different reps.
For sure I had to push bell a bit for a lower quote. I gave them exacting what I was paying now with Rogers and challenged them to match it. Websites like "perkopolis" can be helpful in getting a low quote. If you stay with Rogers it could be irrelevant whether Bell lives up to their quote or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Msh3ll wrote: Bell offered their 'Better' TV package with 2 receivers and Fibe 25/10/100gb for $125 + HST. This was through another contact in another thread (for Bell), not directly from 310-bell. I don't believe you'll get that deal by just calling 310-bell.
But everyone will now call Rogers and tell them they were offered that deal and from here on in, anyone that REALLY is, they will have to give more details i would guess or they won't be believed...??!!

This is only my second time getting ready to negotiate. I did so successfully last year but ever year before that i just paid the asking price, not realizing one could negotiate. I see a lot of people complaining ( understandably) as to how tired they are of doing this....and then i see others saying its so easy to go here, or there, or somewhere else but if it were that easy, everyone would have done it.. I think i am going to consider other TV options, streaming, etc but need to find a thread that lists all the options that are open.

Good deal though that you got with Rogers. Good for you!!
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!
Jan 4, 2014
567 posts
84 upvotes
greygables wrote: For sure I had to push bell a bit for a lower quote. I gave them exacting what I was paying now with Rogers and challenged them to match it. Websites like "perkopolis" can be helpful in getting a low quote. If you stay with Rogers it could be irrelevant whether Bell lives up to their quote or not.
Naw I would have switched over to Bell but all of their "deals" were more expensive than Rogers even with their crap discounts this year. I did tell the Bells reps to match what I was getting with Rogers or at least come somewhat close but it didn't work out.
Aug 7, 2012
185 posts
2 upvotes
York
I got a call last night from some indian sales agent saying he was from rogers (the number called from was 360-633-9325) and offered a pretty good deal which didn't seem real. I asked for his ID/Name and he said he wouldn't need any CC/Personal info, just booking the order then the actual Rogers would call back. I googled up the number and it appears that the number has been used to send bogus IRS calls to people in the states, but nothing about anything related to Canada. I also called Rogers to see if the man was legit, but he couldn't tell me.

The deal was (internet-Fibre 60, Digital Plus TV, basic home package) for $80 for the first year with no contract and no installation charges.

So was it legit or not?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
I did the CCTS complaint with the W45 price increase and got the price adjusted back to the $45 for 8 years guarantee along with a 3 month $3 credit. Had a cancel date for my digital lite package but decided to stick it out till the winter is done. It is going up to $15.99 a month. I tried to get sportsnet added for free but no dice. I wish they would offer pay per channel. I actually want to give Rogers more money for sports channels, but I'm not going to pay for VIP cable to get them when I don't need or want the other channels. Oh well, Rogers loss.
Jun 27, 2007
449 posts
420 upvotes
Rogers is just dicking around with all of us these days. They must be having a good laugh at all of us bluffers looking to cancel, and then not cancelling despite the new rule in effect.

I'd love to see the notes they make on our files. It wouldn't surprise me if words like "bluffing" or "desperate to renew" show up.

Anyway, there is no rhyme or reason to the deals they offer day to day, week to week. This week seems to be a crappy week. Last week was pretty darn good. Got 30% and home phone with features for $15. Prior to that the home phone pricing was the sticking point, but getting it down to $15 from $45 was the clincher.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)