cleacy1972 wrote: ↑Sep 20th, 2018 11:28 pmFrom your bill, i'd probably suggest submitting a termination on the internet for October 7th (the end date of your billing cycle). That gives a reasonable reason for having picked that date, and if they ask you can just say you're trying to decide between other providers that offer much better prices (true!). With what you have, it might be difficult to submit a cancellation on everything since i've honestly no idea if the Italian channels are available from anyone else.
If you're ok with dropping to popular from premier, that also gives you something you can work with when speaking with Rogers.
You might find that you can get a better price by upgrading to 500u from 75 capped, even if you don't need it. Personally, I decreased my price $20/month by switching from a 12 month 500mb promotion to a 24 month gigabit promotion. Make sense? No. To the agent I was speaking with, he just 'upsold' me. Do I need the speed increase? Not at all. I'll take it though, and deal with it again in 2 years.
A reasonable price for 500u, popular + pvr + 2 terminals, home phone and $20 Luso bundle: Probably around $145+tax / $167
Thank you again for this. If the above is 145+tax=167, then maybe I start by leaving my internet as Ignite 75, and THEN seeing if there is a 500u promo for a cheaper price. In your situation you say you'll deal with it in two years, how do you guarantee that? Is there a contract between you and Rogers?
In regards to cancelling, should I just call and cancel? Or see what they offer, and if it's not good enough, then cancel. That might be more realistic since they've been calling me like crazy since I said I would have to get back to them regarding their offer above. And I could always say I don't care much about the Luso package, so maybe I put in an order to cancel TV and Internet?