Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
frougal wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 10:10 pm
Nope, definitely not. Rogers reps have been canvassing door-to-door a lot recently so I think there's a push to win -back people in the general area. Have a feeling a lot of people switched to fibe when it was brought to our area last year as the Rogers network had become ridiculously slow. They (Rogers) is claiming they have upgraded the network in the area, but i'm still a bit wary.
Then the first six months for free part is definitely not true. The rest of the offer is legitimate and you can get it even for less. Rogers has been upgrading its network and that's why they raised their rate recently.
Sep 21, 2015
499 posts
170 upvotes
London, ON
Issameddin wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 10:16 pm
Then the first six months for free part is definitely not true. The rest of the offer is legitimate and you can get it even for less. Rogers has been upgrading its network and that's why they raised their rate recently.
On what basis are you saying "Then the first six months for free part is definitely not true" ? And then following that with "The rest of the offer is legitimate and you can get it even for less" ? Is that not exactly what is happening with the six free months, he is getting a better price?

Lots of people have been getting packages the past month with three months free included. It is now coming up on end of quarter (9/25) and Rogers is likely looking to bump their subscriber numbers. If they have been doing three, why not six?

Just for comparison I am in a hundred year old single family home, not a condo/apartment. London, not Toronto. Bell in my area is FTTN and does not come close to comparing to cable.

Yet over the past few years I have been placed on several "to good to be true price plans" that have all played out. Pretax I have gone from Extra Plus + Gigabit at $99, to 500u + Popular at $74.98, to Gigabit + Popular at $59.98. At each level I have always thought Rogers could not give me a better promotion (and they did!)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1165 posts
181 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 10:17 pm
No. 4K content doesnt cost you extra but you need obviously a 4K box to access. It's the box that they charge you more...unless of course it's included in the plan for free.
I think it is 10.00 more for any package below Popular...
Jan 29, 2007
185 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
frougal wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 6:10 pm
Was with Rogers for 18 years but switched to Bell last December as they offered me:
- Fibe 300 unltd
- basic home phone
- alt tv
$57+tax, no contract

Just got a call from Rogers (sounded like 3rd party call centre in India) offering me:
- 500 ignite internet/unltd
- HD terminal with basic channels,
- basic home phone
- 1 year TMN/HBO free
- installation/activation fees waived
- first SIX months FREE
- $67 +taxes/month, no contract, discounts guaranteed for 24 months

I'm agog...seems too good to be true.
I'm also recently getting calls from winback. I asked for just internet, and they're providing me
1 gig ignite - $34.99 + tax
500 ignite - $24.99 + tax
installation/activiation fees waived
first 6 months free, no commitment. Didn't ask how long the discounts are guaranteed for. Once again, sounded too good to be true. thoughts anyone?
Jan 2, 2006
164 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully it can help someone here, because I got the "inspiration" reading posts here.

I renegotiated my deal in June and I accepted:
Ignite 1GB
Popular TV Package
NetBox 4K with 4K channels
for $124.23 taxes IN.

I saw here people are getting better deals, so I called this morning. First rep told me that I already have "best" deal. I said no and mentioned cancelling. The first rep then connected me with second in charge of "loyalty". She repeated the same story and then I politely requested cancellation for October 15. When she heard that she connected me with the third guy who told me that he has no authority to reduce price BUT he gave me 3 months bill credit of $375 to offset cost I was paying for 4K NetBox. I accepted. In a year I am gonna play the same game and see what comes up.
Jun 20, 2017
64 posts
18 upvotes
I renegotiated 2 weeks ago and received

Ignite 1Gb
Popular TV Package + NBATV
Nextbox 4K
Home Phone - Unlimited North American Long Distance (I don't want it buy my family needs it LOL!)

$ 126.08 Tax in

Live in Brampton, where there is no bell fibe to the home yet.

Pretty happy with my deal.
Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
cleacy1972 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:06 am
On what basis are you saying "Then the first six months for free part is definitely not true" ? And then following that with "The rest of the offer is legitimate and you can get it even for less" ? Is that not exactly what is happening with the six free months, he is getting a better price?

Lots of people have been getting packages the past month with three months free included. It is now coming up on end of quarter (9/25) and Rogers is likely looking to bump their subscriber numbers. If they have been doing three, why not six?

Just for comparison I am in a hundred year old single family home, not a condo/apartment. London, not Toronto. Bell in my area is FTTN and does not come close to comparing to cable.

Yet over the past few years I have been placed on several "to good to be true price plans" that have all played out. Pretax I have gone from Extra Plus + Gigabit at $99, to 500u + Popular at $74.98, to Gigabit + Popular at $59.98. At each level I have always thought Rogers could not give me a better promotion (and they did!)
He is definitely getting a better price but from working for the company I know that the 6-month free part is only offered to new constructions (I have offered it to new constructions before). It could however be a very new manual promotion that Winback is offering. If so it must have come out in last 24-48 hours at most.
Sep 13, 2012
860 posts
437 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Lovable wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 5:59 pm
Is the 4K PVR as good as the Bell Fibe TV receiver? I remember my old Nextbox 3.0 being horrendously slow...
I am running the 4K PVR and the 4K terminal only because the non-4K equipment wasn't in stock when my boxes last failed.

This was approximately 18 months ago and the 4K equipment has been fantastic during that time.
Aug 20, 2007
29 posts
Thought I'd share my experience.

Tried several times through Rogers live chat and then fb messenger after reading this thread. None really offered much other than a $10 discount from current package. Finally, put in the cancel and got a winback call a day later.

Offer is as follows:
- Gigabit Internet
- Popular TV with 2 receivers
- Home Phone (w/ CID)
- 2 months free HBO/TMN

$113 w/ taxes.

About a $20 savings from my current plan, but this is not a guaranteed rate. Luckily it is also a month-to-month contract, so can cancel if rates do increase!

Not amazing compared to some, but at least better than the usual offerings.
Sep 2, 2011
146 posts
38 upvotes
KANATA
I am just on the line with Rogers right now. I canceled almost a year ago an they called me back a few times unsolicited, this time I picked up.

What I have w/ Bell:
Good TV
Fibe 300
HD PVR
Local Home phone
Crave TV
$104.34 taxes in

This is what I was offered:
Popular TV + 1 bonus channel
Ignite 500/unlimited
HD PVR
Local Home Phone
No other fees (activation, installation, modem rental)
*TMN/HBO free for 12 months
*Six months free! (Original offer was 4, then 5 if I ordered today, then I negotiated 6 based on a post above and bell early cancellation fee)
No Contract, Price Guaranteed for 2 years
$96.04 taxes in

So Over 1 year
Bell = $1252.08/yr or $104.34/month
Rogers= $651.24/yr or $54.27/month *included $75 cancellation fee from Bell

I have taken the Rogers deal, running the numbers it seems pretty good. I plan to cancel on the very first day of the second year to go from $150 to $75 cancellation fee with bell (anyone have any issues with this?)

Any big differences btw rogers and bell that you guys know of? I do like to Bell platform as I can go online at work and watch Live TV and all my recordings. Also crave TV isn't that bad.
Last edited by goaliegirl6060 on Sep 26th, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 21, 2015
499 posts
170 upvotes
London, ON
Issameddin wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:43 pm
He is definitely getting a better price but from working for the company I know that the 6-month free part is only offered to new constructions (I have offered it to new constructions before). It could however be a very new manual promotion that Winback is offering. If so it must have come out in last 24-48 hours at most.
Sounds like it: There is a number of people now posting about being offered 6 months free with winback, all within the past day or two.
Sep 24, 2018
1 posts
Was going to cancel with Rogers, they offered me Ignite 500 unlimited for free for the next 6 months, after which they would call back to see if I'd continue or cancel.
Sounded too good to be true so I called back to confirm. This would replace my existing plan (effectively my current plan is cancelled), and the next 6 months will be free. I will see 0 dollars from any bills from Rogers. Even the modem upgrade required will be free.

Am I being finessed? I somehow still think there may be some strings attached.
Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:17 pm
Any big differences btw rogers and bell that you guys know of? I do like to Bell platform as I can go online at work and watch Live TV and all my recordings. Also crave TV isn't that bad.
You do get a Rogers AnyPlaceTV app.
Mar 6, 2008
449 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa
Any new customers in the Ottawa area able to share what kind of deals they're getting?

They're offering me for $140 before taxes for the following:

500u
Popular Cable
Home Phone w/ CD & VM

Seems awfully high, but based on this thread: lots of the deals people are getting are winbacks, or being in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1261 posts
407 upvotes
Ontario
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:17 pm
I am just on the line with Rogers right now. I canceled almost a year ago an they called me back a few times unsolicited, this time I picked up.

What I have w/ Bell:
Good TV
Fibe 300
HD PVR
Local Home phone
Crave TV
$104.34 taxes in

This is what I was offered:
Popular TV + 1 bonus channel
Ignite 500/unlimited
HD PVR
Local Home Phone
No other fees (activation, installation, modem rental)
*TMN/HBO free for 12 months
*Six months free! (Original offer was 4, then 5 if I ordered today, then I negotiated 6 based on a post above and bell early cancellation fee)
No Contract, Price Guaranteed for 2 years
$96.04 taxes in

So Over 1 year
Bell = $1252.08/yr or $104.34/month
Rogers= $651.24/yr or $54.27/month *included $745 cancellation fee from Bell

I have taken the Rogers deal, running the numbers it seems pretty good. I plan to cancel on the very first day of the second year to go from $150 to $75 cancellation fee with bell (anyone have any issues with this?)

Wish they'd call me back. :(

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

muscleflex, dinalx, FriedFrog