Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Oct 20, 2011
995 posts
326 upvotes
Mississauga
henry865 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 11:23 am
Don’t call them. Put in a cancellation for a month ahead and wait for them to call. I did that and got a call the same day.
I tried this on two occasions and they cancelled my internet, home phone and cable tv 2 weeks early. When I asked why it was cancelled early they told me the Bell requested it. I told them that's impossible because I don't have a contract with Bell and they kept stating it was requested by Bell. In the end they didn't care and reactivated my package but wouldn't budget on a better deal. In the end, it took about 10 hours of conversations over 6 attempts and I gave up and agreed to a bad package.

When I'm asked for cancellation for a future date, it's always gone bad as they've cancelled early and I got no call back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8926 posts
5227 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
MyDream1 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 4:45 pm
When I'm asked for cancellation for a future date, it's always gone bad as they've cancelled early and I got no call back.
Sounds like they called your bluff.

After they cut it off prematurely you should have left it. If winback calls you back then okay but you calling them back and accepting the bad offer, you made yourself lose.

Did you make alternative arrangements in they call your bluff? You gotta go be prepared to cut loose. Cut the one service you don't need. I cut my home phone via port and then they were more willing to negotiate with just cable/internet. Did the same with internet afterwards. I'm always willing to negotiate it back in the future if it will get me a better deal. You gotta be willing to jump providers.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 24, 2003
397 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 4:55 pm

After they cut it off prematurely you should have left it. If winback calls you back then okay but you calling them back and accepting the bad offer, you made yourself lose.

Did you make alternative arrangements in they call your bluff? You gotta go be prepared to cut loose. Cut the one service you don't need. I cut my home phone via port and then they were more willing to negotiate with just cable/internet. Did the same with internet afterwards. I'm always willing to negotiate it back in the future if it will get me a better deal. You gotta be willing to jump providers.
This is very true. I cancelled my wireless with Fido last month. Most people get a winback call, I got nothing. It's ok with me since I doubt they'd have made an offer worth me coming back but I was very surprised they didn't try.
Feb 27, 2010
213 posts
127 upvotes
I was wondering if u guys can help me out...my contract is expiring End of January and I called in to see if I can get a better deal then what I was getting now and ‘‘tis is what I got....
Old plan
VIP TV PACKAGE
250iu internet for 140.65 taxes in

New plan
Premier TV
500IU INTERNET for 167.22 taxes in

They said this is the best retention deal that they can give me

Not happy to pay more then what I was paying...is there anything I can do to get them to give me much lower
Sep 2, 2016
426 posts
232 upvotes
yangpa wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 10:16 am
Hi Dmbpjfan,

Was it the win back # you call?

In the process for renewal Jan 15, called several times including the management office and they don't seem to want to yield at all.

Popular TV + timeshifting + 2nd receiver, hompe phone and 500u internet for $125 plus tax. Thought it is terrible!
Nope. I did everything via fb chat
Nov 18, 2007
46 posts
4 upvotes
Milton
chimaican wrote:
Indeed, some of us are being called "bluff" ...

Trying to renew for my Jan 14 expiring date for TV/internet/phone. Initially got $1 less for the same package of $142. Called back three times then went to the management line. The lady there said I never had a $141 deal, instead, sould have been a $148!

Tried to cancel and they said I better find a new provider and let the new provider to do the cancel for me. Otherwise, I'll lose my existing phone number. So, could not even put in for a cancelation ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8926 posts
5227 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
yangpa wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 10:36 am

Trying to renew for my Jan 14 expiring date for TV/internet/phone. Initially got $1 less for the same package of $142. Called back three times then went to the management line. The lady there said I never had a $141 deal, instead, sould have been a $148!

Tried to cancel and they said I better find a new provider and let the new provider to do the cancel for me. Otherwise, I'll lose my existing phone number. So, could not even put in for a cancelation ...
So you set up cancellation for just the TV/internet but keep your phone, but tell them specifically you will be porting, so DON'T cancel your phone or hell will break loose if your number is lost. Remember to always get an Interaction Number so you can give them shit if something goes awry.

Alternatives depending on who you're switching is VOIP or even wireless home phone. It won't have the same benefits as a hard line phone (Bell/Rogers) like 9-1-1 locator, but it still works. Koodo has WHP for $5/mth but modem purchase is required.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2550 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
yangpa wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 10:36 am

I had a similar experience with the Management Office saying it should've been more. Ended up escalating to office of the president and am soon to be paying $4 less a month as I'm dropping to 500 from 1000 for Internet but also had to give up VIP. There are NO deals or credits on grandfathered plans any longer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8926 posts
5227 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
adrianf74 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:43 am
I had a similar experience with the Management Office saying it should've been more. Ended up escalating to office of the president and am soon to be paying $4 less a month as I'm dropping to 500 from 1000 for Internet but also had to give up VIP. There are NO deals or credits on grandfathered plans any longer.
Yup... Samething happened to me. Was transferred to management and suddenly they wanted an additional $10 more a month.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2550 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 12:01 pm
Yup... Samething happened to me. Was transferred to management and suddenly they wanted an additional $10 more a month.
I could get internet on its own for $25/$35 but add any form of cable and that was that. Unfortunately my other half is cable dependent and can't be swayed to other forms of viewing, so I'm stuck paying whatever they want. :(
Jul 25, 2013
68 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
juve4lfe wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 7:15 am
I was wondering if u guys can help me out...my contract is expiring End of January and I called in to see if I can get a better deal then what I was getting now and ‘‘tis is what I got....
Old plan
VIP TV PACKAGE
250iu internet for 140.65 taxes in

New plan
Premier TV
500IU INTERNET for 167.22 taxes in

They said this is the best retention deal that they can give me

Not happy to pay more then what I was paying...is there anything I can do to get them to give me much lower
that is so bad, i got premier plus 500u for $89 plus tax, own my boxes
Feb 27, 2010
213 posts
127 upvotes
Infiniti2011 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 12:45 pm

What can I do to bring that down?
Oh and I don’t own none of the boxes...I just have a pvr and an hd box that there giving me for free
Last edited by juve4lfe on Jan 1st, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 20, 2011
995 posts
326 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote:

I put in my cancellation 3 weeks in advance and started to get quotes, when the cancelled my landline, internet and cable early, I didn't have a chance to make alternative arrangements since I figured I had 3 weeks to do so. I was unable to leave it cancelled since I couldn't go without landline and internet. I guess what I'm saying is, placing a cancellation in hopes winback calls never worked for me as they cancelled way before my true cancellation date arrived.
Feb 20, 2018
40 posts
55 upvotes
for people afraid of losing their home phone, why dont you use ooma? you can port your number and pay only $5 a month. is there any reason why you guys dont use it? im also planning to cut my home phone with rogers but keep my phone number to ooma.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8926 posts
5227 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Infiniti2011 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 12:45 pm
Is that on a 12mth or 2 year agreement?

I'm going to be calling in for my father and just want to know what's the going offers. He's currently paying WAAAAY too much - $170 (all-in) for all 3 services (premier, internet, HP). I just agreed to the grandfathered VIP with pvr for $62 +tax (73)... I'm hoping to get him Premier, 500u & HP for around $100-120 +tax but we'll see. He owns all his boxes already. Will downgrade him to popular if required.

Thread Information

There are currently 13 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 11 guests)

huseinj, sunnay