Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Sep 13, 2012
602 posts
267 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
EugW wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:14 pm
The install tech told me whole home PVR doesn't work anymore with this hardware.
It isn’t being offered to new customers because they’re trying to push Ignite TV (cloud) but it still functions for existing customers.
Apr 23, 2008
349 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I am also looking for just an internet deal, please pm me the contact info of the rep if they can help?
Thanks in advance.
Aug 1, 2008
238 posts
4 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:14 pm
The install tech told me whole home PVR doesn't work anymore with this hardware.
not an absolute deal breaker as I probably will be planning on switching to Ignite TV come spring/summer. I think I'm really wanting Premier though for the time being as there are channels that I currently have with Bell that I won't get in Popular (ie. Space, Comedy, Golf etc..). I noticed you are coming from Bell too? did you have Fibe? how does the wifi signal from the modem compare?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16556 posts
3585 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:41 am
It isn’t being offered to new customers because they’re trying to push Ignite TV (cloud) but it still functions for existing customers.
It sucks that I can't even program my Rogers PVRs online anymore. I could do that a decade ago with my old SA 8300 HD boxes.
SiR_YOI wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:24 am
not an absolute deal breaker as I probably will be planning on switching to Ignite TV come spring/summer. I think I'm really wanting Premier though for the time being as there are channels that I currently have with Bell that I won't get in Popular (ie. Space, Comedy, Golf etc..). I noticed you are coming from Bell too? did you have Fibe? how does the wifi signal from the modem compare?
Yeah, it's too bad they've intentionally crippled this whole home functionality on their Digital TV platform. Meanwhile, all my Bell equipment has been disconnected and is sitting on my dining table, but when I log in online via my Fibe TV application, I see that new shows are still being recorded in the cloud. (I still have Fibe for another 2 weeks, just because if I cancel early I'll incur a $75 penalty so that cancels out any pro-rated savings from canceling early anyway.

The Home Hub 3000 modem's WiFi is fairly strong, and seems stronger than my Rogers Hitron modem, but neither can cover my whole house. On the Bell side you can rent their mesh network pods though to extend their network. I don't use it though, since I have an Apple Airport pseudo-mesh system I use instead. Apple doesn't really have a mesh implementation, but for Apple devices, Apple Airports will do seamless handoff from access point to access point, so it has effectively the same result (but only for Apple devices). Furthermore, their Airports are ultra stable.)

Unfortunately, the Home Hub 300 has other problems, such as the fact that if you have TV, you MUST have their pre-programmed network addresses as is. If you change the network from 192.168.2.xxx to something else, TV goes haywire. Internet and Netflix work just fine. The stupid part is their own techs don't know this, and the GUI will happily allow you to change the network addressing to whatever you want, which is fine for internet-only customers, but not for TV customers. In contrast with Rogers Digital TV, the TV is strictly on their cable TV network frequencies, and internet is separate. Dunno about Ignite TV though. Rogers Anyplace TV for Digital TV does suck though. The other side benefit is with Digital TV boxes on Rogers is that there is no need for either WiFi or Ethernet networking and the related issues. Everything is done via coaxial cabling. This is important in my house for IP TV, since the WiFi isn't strong enough, and I need to connect IP TV boxes via Ethernet.

After getting used to Fibe TV's cloud support, it's hard to downgrade back to Digital TV. That said, Fibe TV's cloud implementation is not very good IMO. The computer browser support is sub-par with mediocre quality, and some issues like lip sync issues, etc. It's better on the iPad, but still not perfect. I can't say myself if Ignite TV's cloud implementation is any better, but some here say it is.

I am on Premier for Rogers Digital TV, also mainly because of Space. My pricing is $15 more than what others with similar plans were paying for Popular, so I figure I may as well go with Premier. Space is either $7 a la carte or else $10 in a Theme Pack, so it made sense to just go with Premier.

It seems others are paying $90 plus tax for Home Phone / Gigabit / Popular with 4K PVR and extra TV receiver, whereas I am paying $105 plus tax for the same setup except with Premier.

---

Here's hoping the spring Ignite deals are decent, and also that Ignite TV doesn't lock us to a specific network address range like Fibe TV does. Does anyone know how Ignite TV behaves in this context? Can we change the network address range with no problems with Ignite TV?
Last edited by EugW on Jan 9th, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 29, 2004
209 posts
154 upvotes
GSpeed wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:50 pm
just an update..
$99 Gigabit + Popular package I think.. whatever the deal was 2 years ago...
Its ending Feb 3
I called they gave me same package but price is going up $2.67 taxes in
It's a 1 year deal on savings, no contract :D
I have a family member in the same situation. Did you choose cancel services when you called, and that person did it for you? (Retentions)

Vs actually having to cancel and do it on a different call via Winback.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1195 posts
417 upvotes
GTA
da_123 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:22 am
I have a family member in the same situation. Did you choose cancel services when you called, and that person did it for you? (Retentions)

Vs actually having to cancel and do it on a different call via Winback.
I just called the regular number, I forgot what option I hit.. told them I want to cancel.
They asked why, I said my plans savings are done in a month, and I don't want to pay more
They said, I can help you with that.. and gave me the deal
That was it lmao

Still thinking about jumping to bell, seems I can get a similar deal...
Rogers Internet speed varies on time of day + the upload is shit.. It was 50mbps when I signed up then like 4 months later they dropped it to 30mbps
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16556 posts
3585 upvotes
Toronto
GSpeed wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:59 am
I just called the regular number, I forgot what option I hit.. told them I want to cancel.
They asked why, I said my plans savings are done in a month, and I don't want to pay more
They said, I can help you with that.. and gave me the deal
That was it lmao

Still thinking about jumping to bell, seems I can get a similar deal...
Rogers Internet speed varies on time of day + the upload is shit.. It was 50mbps when I signed up then like 4 months later they dropped it to 30mbps
Did you ever get 50 Mbps up consistently? Do you get even 30 Mbps consistently?

I often get over 900 Mbps down but only about 15 Mbps up in near-peak periods on a 1000/30 Mbps Rogers connection.

However, it doesn't seem to make much difference for what I do 98% of the time. I'm curious though. How much upload does a MS Remote Desktop Connection or Citrix VPN need, if I'm the client? My understanding is that the client needs very little upload bandwidth, but way more download bandwidth. 25 Mbps Fibe would sometimes slow my VPN connection to a crawl if I had Netflix also running, but it hasn't been an issue on Fibe Gigabit or Rogers Gigabit. (Logons have been a bit slower in the last few days since I've gotten Rogers, but I think that's the host. The actual VPN performance once's logged in is fine.)

The only times upload speed makes a big difference is if I'm uploading batches of photos or other large files somewhere, but i don't do that often. Right now I'm not doing big cloud backups. Maybe if I go that route in the future, I'll have to go back to fibre.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1195 posts
417 upvotes
GTA
EugW wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:24 am

I often get over 900 Mbps down but only about 15 Mbps up in near-peak periods on a 1000/30 Mbps Rogers connection.

However, it doesn't seem to make much difference for what I do 98% of the time. I'm curious though. How much upload does a MS Remote Desktop Connection or Citrix VPN need, if I'm the client? My understanding is that the client needs very little upload bandwidth, but way more download bandwidth. 25 Mbps Fibe would sometimes slow my VPN connection to a crawl if I had Netflix also running, but it hasn't been an issue on Fibe Gigabit or Rogers Gigabit. (Logons have been a bit slower in the last few days since I've gotten Rogers, but I think that's the host. The actual VPN performance once's logged in is fine.)

The only times upload speed makes a big difference is if I'm uploading batches of photos or other large files somewhere, but i don't do that often. Right now I'm not doing big cloud backups. Maybe if I go that route in the future, I'll have to go back to fibre.
No at first both download and upload where all over the place...
Now I get 30mbps consistently
Yeah, 30mbps is still "fast" and more then enough for most people...
I'm able to stream a 1080p web-dl to my self at work no problem

I know fiber will be better, but I'm still on the fence..
For $10 less a month I can get Bell Fiber + Alt Tv Premium?
Which is great since, I don't need to buy any receivers.. Already have devices..
Just can't find any solid info on quality...
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2262 posts
225 upvotes
man, I never gotten any win back calls, I left Rogers for Freedom in December because all a sudden I wasn't getting any LTE connections at work, tested other's carrier sim and all good signal. Rogers never call, then after boxing day I transfer both my wife and my number to Bell (Costco promo), Rogers never call my wife to win back also, we were both with Rogers for like 18 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2282 posts
1306 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:24 am

Via win back I am supposedly receiving the same pkg as before, gigabit (1gbps dn and 50mbps up).

I was switched over a little after 5pm today and here are my speedtests before and after. I know there are many variables, but my upload is now slower. I'll have to try again another time.

Update: You can't count on the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing episode N with Rogers. PITA. My area has 50Mbps upload available on existing plans, but by resigning, I'm on a "new" plan now and am limited to 30Mbps upload.
Images
  • Speedtests Rogers 9Jan19.JPG
Dec 9, 2007
267 posts
9 upvotes
Looking to get in contact with a Rep for my dad, new customer for just internet and home phone, PM if you know one, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7767 posts
199 upvotes
FrugalFrites wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:30 pm
How do I get in contact with a rep to get a new customer deal?
Looking for just internet, (500U/Gig). Thanks!
asking for a friend..haven't really paid much attention to new customer comments....what's the going deal for new internet only?
Apr 5, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
In typical Rogers fashion, I got offered a promo, I accepted, got my first bill, and it wasn't what I was offered. My two year deal is $5 more than I was told, and my two year deal, one part of it expires in six months, the other in a year, so it isn't all for the full two years. So I will have to call back again in six months and then in a year. The whole point of two years was to save myself the hassle of calling back.

I swear that in my 20 years dealing with Rogers, if I am supposed to get a new promo, with 100% certainty, my bill will not reflect what I was told, and I have to call back. I swear this is a deliberate tactic on their part, hoping people won't look closely. Unlucky for them, I am an accountant, so I look at all numbers. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back and look at my years of bills I have saved, and pull all of these discrepancies, and I will write a letter to the CRTC outlining this practice.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16556 posts
3585 upvotes
Toronto
I posted in the Computers & Electronics forum but I figured I will post it here too.

I've had Rogers Gigabit for less than a week and today my Hitron CODA-4582U was unresponsive. All the appropriate lights were on as expected (none red). The icon that looks like a computer was flashing, but my understanding is it's supposed to be. I couldn't access the modem from the browser, and I had no internet access. It was like this when I woke up today, and it didn't change after many minutes of waiting and trying again.

So I just hard reset the modem and now all is fine.

I use the modem as the main router. WiFi is active, but is currently unused (since I have Apple Airports acting as WiFi access points). Has anyone seen behaviour like this? If so, is there a difference in stability in bridge mode vs router mode?

BTW, a nice side bonus of Digital TV with Home Phone in this type of Rogers bundle with Ignite Gigabit internet is that the Home Phone modem and TV support remained unaffected when the internet went down. One thing that irritated me on Bell Fibe FTTH is that whenever the fibre optic modem went down bringing down internet, both TV and Home Phone also went down. I understand that would be true for Ignite TV and Home Phone bundles too, which would suck.

Silver02TDI wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:15 am
In typical Rogers fashion, I got offered a promo, I accepted, got my first bill, and it wasn't what I was offered. My two year deal is $5 more than I was told, and my two year deal, one part of it expires in six months, the other in a year, so it isn't all for the full two years. So I will have to call back again in six months and then in a year. The whole point of two years was to save myself the hassle of calling back.

I swear that in my 20 years dealing with Rogers, if I am supposed to get a new promo, with 100% certainty, my bill will not reflect what I was told, and I have to call back. I swear this is a deliberate tactic on their part, hoping people won't look closely. Unlucky for them, I am an accountant, so I look at all numbers. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back and look at my years of bills I have saved, and pull all of these discrepancies, and I will write a letter to the CRTC outlining this practice.
Who did the signup for you? Just some random phone agent? Just wondering, cuz I find I get more errors that way.

Also, it's annoying we can't check the account billing details until after our first bill.
Dec 21, 2014
11 posts
2 upvotes
Markham, ON
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:34 am
asking for a friend..haven't really paid much attention to new customer comments....what's the going deal for new internet only?
I was told $60 for 500u and $70 for gigabit. Not sure about the lower packages though.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)