Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7789 posts
201 upvotes
BippuJ wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:49 am
I have 500u for $40! Do you think I can get it down to $30? What should I say?
call in, tell them your friend has it for $30...they will refuse
put in cancellation order for 1 week
wait for email or phone call to win back your business
Mar 4, 2018
112 posts
237 upvotes
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:52 am
call in, tell them your friend has it for $30...they will refuse
put in cancellation order for 1 week
wait for email or phone call to win back your business
I'm not sold that this is available for everyone. That deal is likely only for people in the FTTP areas, so YMMV.
Frugal Fries - but en français
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1869 posts
166 upvotes
Central Ontario
I just put my cancellation request in... waiting to see If there's an offer. I'll miss the TV the most, but I can get Internet from a reseller for 1/3rd of what I'm paying Rogers, even paying the "off the street" price.
Mar 5, 2003
113 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
My discounts was expiring on Feb 16.
Last Friday I called retention 1-866-569-8981 to see what discounts was available and put in my cancellation notice.

No email discounts or winback ... just a call from Rogers today 1-866-622-7578 (winback) and offered the following:

Pop package @ $51
- PVR Nextbox 3 rented
- PVR Nextbox 3 Rogers gave this free to replace my defective owned PVR which died in mid Dec/18
- 2 x HD boxes to replace my 2 SD boxes
- Crave/HBO/Movie for 1 year
- Home Network enabled (which I had previously)

500 U internet @ $30
- 1GB Modem

RHP x 2 @ $5 each/mth

$300 credit (at first it was $200 credit but I asked them to throw in time shifting and NHL Center ice but they gave another $100 credit instead .. I am fine with that).

All for $91 without tax
Tax in @ $102.83

Good Luck everyone and thanks for your posting ..... put in your cancellation now ....
Last edited by tsml1 on Jan 28th, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Oct 18, 2014
87 posts
33 upvotes
Anyone who recently signed up with Rogers and has already had it installed, could you tell me what PVR you got for Digital TV? Was it the Nextbox 3.0 or the Nextbox 4K?
Oct 19, 2002
274 posts
4 upvotes
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:30 am
yes..should be able to get better
$500u $30
PremierTV $54.99 + FairChild
not sure about phone, but read ppl are getting all this with phoen for about $105?
tsml1 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:53 pm
Well done for another year ....

My discounts was expiring on Feb 16.
Last Friday I called retention 1-866-569-8981 to see what discounts was available and put in my cancellation notice.

No email discounts or winback ... just a call from Rogers today 1-866-622-7578 and offered the following:

Pop package @ $51
- PVR Nextbox 3 rented
- PVR Nextbox 3 Rogers gave this free to replace my defective owned PVR which died in mid Dec/18
- 2 x HD boxes to replace my 2 SD boxes
- Crave/HBO/Movie for 1 year
- Home Network enabled (which I had previously)

500 U internet @ $30
- 1GB Modem

RHP x 2 @ $5 each/mth

$300 credit (at first it was $200 credit but I asked them to throw in time shifting and NHL Center ice but they gave another $100 credit instead .. I am fine with that).

All for $91 without tax
Tax in @ $102.83

Good Luck everyone and thanks for your posting ..... put in your cancellation now ....
Thanks sienna owner & tsml1. Will try again. I left a msg on FB Chat and will call in as well :) Thx for the confirmation tsml1! Wish me luck!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
Myyykkee wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:54 pm
Anyone who recently signed up with Rogers and has already had it installed, could you tell me what PVR you got for Digital TV? Was it the Nextbox 3.0 or the Nextbox 4K?
For my Premier Digital TV install, they gave me the Nextbox 4K.

I got a Premier Digital TV + Ignite Gigabit Internet + Basic Home Phone package 3 weeks ago.
Oct 18, 2014
87 posts
33 upvotes
Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm hoping I get the 4K box too. I'm trying to get info on how they terminate the fiber coming into my house. I had Rogers years ago and had a bunch of problems with how they did it. I hope it changed since then and the modem is better.

Got the same package as you, the only difference is I have Popular TV
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
Myyykkee wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 5:43 pm
Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm hoping I get the 4K box too. I'm trying to get info on how they terminate the fiber coming into my house. I had Rogers years ago and had a bunch of problems with how they did it. I hope it changed since then and the modem is better.

Got the same package as you, the only difference is I have Popular TV
Lucky you are getting fibre, so you don't have to deal with the fluctuating signal levels and signal to noise ratios. Hopefully the modem is decent.

BTW, the extra non-PVR TV receiver I got is also a Nextbox 4K model. However, I may eventually just get rid of it and put my extra SA 8300HD PVR there instead. The only reason I've been inclined to keep the 4K box is because it's short enough to fit underneath my TV, but I miss having the PVR function. The fact that Rogers doesn't offer whole home PVR these days with these boxes means there is little overall advantage to the non-PVR 4K box over the old HD-only SA8300HD.
Apr 4, 2010
362 posts
172 upvotes
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:28 am
Recently helped a friend get 500u and PremierTV for $30 + $54.99 = $84.99
for Gigibit, add $10
Would you ming sharing how? By cancelling and waiting for a call back?
Oct 18, 2014
87 posts
33 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 6:58 pm
Lucky you are getting fibre, so you don't have to deal with the fluctuating signal levels and signal to noise ratios. Hopefully the modem is decent.

BTW, the extra non-PVR TV receiver I got is also a Nextbox 4K model. However, I may eventually just get rid of it and put my extra SA 8300HD PVR there instead. The only reason I've been inclined to keep the 4K box is because it's short enough to fit underneath my TV, but I miss having the PVR function. The fact that Rogers doesn't offer whole home PVR these days with these boxes means there is little overall advantage to the non-PVR 4K box over the old HD-only SA8300HD.
I'm hoping it's a decent modem too. The last time I was with Rogers they gave me that crappy Rocket AC modem. It was terrible. They had to come put a booster on my line, because the fastest speed I could get was under 10MB/DL. That booster caused even more issues. Finally I found a deal and went with Bell.

I was thinking of getting a second box to put upstairs, but I cant justify the 12.99 rental price for the amount I'll use it. That why I like the Bell Fibe app because I have an Apple TV 4K and it streams perfectly. I wasn't aware that Rogers doesn't have whole home PVR anymore. That kinda sucks. Maybe one day we'll be lucky and get a Rogers TV app for iOS and Android.

BTW just saw your post on the Rogers community forums, you really know your stuff.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
Myyykkee wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 7:43 pm
I'm hoping it's a decent modem too. The last time I was with Rogers they gave me that crappy Rocket AC modem. It was terrible. They had to come put a booster on my line, because the fastest speed I could get was under 10MB/DL. That booster caused even more issues. Finally I found a deal and went with Bell.

I was thinking of getting a second box to put upstairs, but I cant justify the 12.99 rental price for the amount I'll use it. That why I like the Bell Fibe app because I have an Apple TV 4K and it streams perfectly. I wasn't aware that Rogers doesn't have whole home PVR anymore. That kinda sucks. Maybe one day we'll be lucky and get a Rogers TV app for iOS and Android.
Rogers Ignite is the competitor to Bell Fibe TV.

There is a Rogers Anyplace TV app that you can use with your Digital TV account, but it kinda sucks.
BTW just saw your post on the Rogers community forums, you really know your stuff.
Thanks, but I don't think so. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes Just asking a lot of questions there.
Jan 27, 2019
2 posts
I am hearing a lot of great deals here and realize I am really overpaying. I have 100u and VIP cable with HD PVR and HBO for $160.
Do you guys think I can get something similar for about $100?
Ideally I want to get a 4k PVR and keep my HBO. How would I go about doing this? Is it just threaten to cancel, or is there a lot of back and forth bargaining?
Mar 26, 2007
143 posts
47 upvotes
I accepted a sub-par offer - I was tired and the guy didnt seem to budge. Is it possible to call and negotiate again, or should I wait?

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 8 guests)

Jonnyb88, RunOrDie