Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Dec 7, 2009
805 posts
93 upvotes
My OOP the deal expires next month. It seems like most are going the cancel/winback route. Are people not having success with the OOP?

I currently have cable/internet bundle, but looking to go down to just the internet.
Sep 26, 2007
477 posts
36 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I ended up signing with the Ignite 75 + TV Select (with 2 mths HBO/Crave) + 1 Bonus channel + 1 receiver + Home phone for $111 tax in for 12 months which I think is pretty good.
Hope we won't have issues when everybody at home use Youtube, Netflix and Spotify at the same time..
Kfox wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 2:28 am
I signed up for new package 10 days ago thru Facebook.(75+Select+HP $113 tax in) I have it on record from the rep that price would not increase on April 1st. He wrote, "these packages are not affected by the rate increase in April as only the older packages are affected by the rate increase"........Probably either misinformed or lying, it doesn't matter though, I've got him on record
Sep 13, 2012
608 posts
270 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Kfox wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 2:28 am
I signed up for new package 10 days ago thru Facebook.(75+Select+HP $113 tax in) I have it on record from the rep that price would not increase on April 1st. He wrote, "these packages are not affected by the rate increase in April as only the older packages are affected by the rate increase"........Probably either misinformed or lying, it doesn't matter though, I've got him on record
TOS stipules prices subject to change. Having said that it’s $36 over 12 months and that’s a simple 5 minute conversation followed by a one time goodwill credit.
Dec 11, 2003
471 posts
74 upvotes
London
DreamSanctuary wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 10:10 pm
Man, is Rogers a piece of s***.

I got an amazing offer from Bell for 2 years, a lot better than what Rogers was offering and so I took it. My plan with Rogers was on a month to month, and I had a year long promotion that expired next October. I was on a better deal than what people are being offered in this thread. I had Gigabit + Unlimited North American Home Phone (6 features) + Premier for somewhere in the $16x.xx after tax.
What kind of bundle have you got from Bell? Thanks!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18302 posts
6391 upvotes
Toronto
DreamSanctuary wrote:

I got an amazing offer from Bell for 2 years, a lot better than what Rogers was offering and so I took it. My plan with Rogers was on a month to month, and I had a year long promotion that expired next October. I was on a better deal than what people are being offered in this thread. I had Gigabit + Unlimited North American Home Phone (6 features) + Premier for somewhere in the $16x.xx after tax.

Anyway, Bell completed the install and the Internet is way faster and way more reliable. The TV quality is much superior and the channels change instantly instead of that delay Rogers had. It's just much more technologically advanced, rewind shows to the beginning (even if you didn't record them), watch PVR recordings on any wireless receiver. Use an Apple TV as a receiver, etc.

Anyway, so after the successful install, I call Rogers to cancel my services and they say that the port hasn't been completed and I will lose my home phone number. I'm using my home phone and it works correctly so I thought, okay weird. Well, cancel my Internet and TV services. The rep says if I cancel those, I'll lose my number. How? She puts me on hold for 10 minutes, comes back and says the support team said it's best to cancel all at the same time because I'd lose my number? I speak to Bell, and they confirm my suspicions that it's BS and the port is only related to the phone. Anyway, filed a CCTS complaint, let's see what happens.

I actually called twice attempting to cancel. Some nonsense the first time about going to a Rogers store to cancel, and now this time I'll lose my number if I cancel TV and Internet? Thank god I don't have to deal with them for another 2 years. With Bell my internet has no lag and it feels way faster due to that, no response delay or anything. I feel like every rep tries to get you to callback to cancel because it hurts their score if someone calls in and actually cancels, at least for retentions. Hopefully the CCTS look into this.
I suspect the issue is that when you cancel the internet service that may affect the home phone because Rogers home phone is an overpriced voip service. A phone number port takes all of a few hours.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Sep 13, 2012
608 posts
270 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
will888 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 9:18 am
I suspect the issue is that when you cancel the internet service that may affect the home phone because Rogers home phone is an overpriced voip service. A phone number port takes all of a few hours.
RHP is not VOIP.
Sep 21, 2015
497 posts
170 upvotes
London, ON
DreamSanctuary wrote:

Anyway, Bell completed the install and the Internet is way faster and way more reliable. The TV quality is much superior and the channels change instantly instead of that delay Rogers had. It's just much more technologically advanced, rewind shows to the beginning (even if you didn't record them), watch PVR recordings on any wireless receiver. Use an Apple TV as a receiver, etc.

Anyway, so after the successful install, I call Rogers to cancel my services and they say that the port hasn't been completed and I will lose my home phone number. I'm using my home phone and it works correctly so I thought, okay weird. Well, cancel my Internet and TV services. The rep says if I cancel those, I'll lose my number. How? She puts me on hold for 10 minutes, comes back and says the support team said it's best to cancel all at the same time because I'd lose my number? I speak to Bell, and they confirm my suspicions that it's BS and the port is only related to the phone. Anyway, filed a CCTS complaint, let's see what happens.

I actually called twice attempting to cancel. Some nonsense the first time about going to a Rogers store to cancel, and now this time I'll lose my number if I cancel TV and Internet? Thank god I don't have to deal with them for another 2 years. With Bell my internet has no lag and it feels way faster due to that, no response delay or anything. I feel like every rep tries to get you to callback to cancel because it hurts their score if someone calls in and actually cancels, at least for retentions. Hopefully the CCTS look into this.
Sounds a lot like you were given the correct answer. The action of porting a phone number from carrier1 to carrier2 automatically closes the related account with carrier1. The port can only be completed successfully if the line is active with carrier1.

If your line is still showing active with carrier1, the port hasn't completed. If carrier1 were to do what you'd asked and closed the account, carrier2 would not be able to complete the port, and you'd lose your phone number.
Nov 8, 2013
415 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cleacy1972 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 11:56 am
Sounds a lot like you were given the correct answer. The action of porting a phone number from carrier1 to carrier2 automatically closes the related account with carrier1. The port can only be completed successfully if the line is active with carrier1.

If your line is still showing active with carrier1, the port hasn't completed. If carrier1 were to do what you'd asked and closed the account, carrier2 would not be able to complete the port, and you'd lose your phone number.
I didn't want to close my home phone account though. Only my internet and TV, they were independent of my home phone and should have no influence on the matter.
Nov 8, 2013
415 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bonnieb wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 1:27 am
What kind of bundle have you got from Bell? Thanks!
It's a lot. They just installed FTTH on our street, so we now have Gigabit speeds.

Essentially:

Gigabit Internet + Modem (GB DL, ~800MB upload - can't remember the exact number)
Unlimited North American Home Phone (with 8 features)
Better TV Package + 4 Free International Channels for 12 months ($15/months after the first year if I don't cancel) + HBO/Crave free for 12 months ($25 a month after 1 yr if I don't cancel)
NHL Centre Ice for the rest of the season
Free 4K receiver + 12 months free rental of a second wireless receiver ($8/month rental after the first year if I don't cancel)

For $109.90 + tax for 2 years, after 1 year I'll have to cancel HBO/TMN/+ International TV channels and would have to pay $8/month rental for the second wireless receiver if I want to keep it, but still $120~ for 2 years for way better internet speeds/TV services than Rogers

It's just a lot quicker and more technologically advanced than Rogers. The Fibe TV app lets me watch TV on my phone. If you record a show, you can watch on any TV. The wireless receiver is wireless, so you can move it between TV's if you want to, etc.
May 3, 2008
875 posts
435 upvotes
Markham
DreamSanctuary wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 6:13 pm
I didn't want to close my home phone account though. Only my internet and TV, they were independent of my home phone and should have no influence on the matter.
They also told me home phone is separate from home internet and TV. I had home phone and internet and cancelled internet. They told me multiple times it wont affect home phone.
Will see how it goes (cancelled internet 2 weeks ago).
Jan 6, 2015
77 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My promotion is expiring on June(1gig + Extra Sports cable + HBO/crave = price $113 tax incl) so I message rogers through live chat to try renew my discount. Agent said my promo can't be renewed instead she offered my 1gig + Premier = price $116 tax incl. Her new offer will be activated after my current promotion ends. I asked for freebies like crave or hbo but no luck.
Jan 9, 2011
374 posts
33 upvotes
The rigmarole continues - managed to get popular tv with ignite 300 for $107 taxes in.
Nov 18, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi,

Can you tell me how you managed to get that deal? My current promo is 127 tax in for Popular TV and 150 Ignite and its expiring in a couple of weeks. I called them today and they said the best they can do is 144 tax in. I asked to speak to retention and she said "ok, but I can't guarantee they will give you a better price". So off I go to retention and they do their " let me have a look at what I can do for you" and came back and said " yes, she's right, 144$ is the best we can do". I said that I had a Bell flyer and she said they don't match prices. I said " if I cancel, is it immediate?" , and she said "yes". There was no negotiating. Its like they know that we won't switch bc its too much of a hassle.
Sep 15, 2016
14 posts
2 upvotes
Msh3ll wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 10:33 am
The rigmarole continues - managed to get popular tv with ignite 300 for $107 taxes in.
Did you call in or was this a winback offer? They wont budge on 138 taxes in for popular TV + 150u for me.
Nov 18, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
they won't budge on 144$ tax in for popular TV and 150u for me and i called today and spoke to retention.
Also, I own my own PVR and cable boxes so the $144 is for no hardware rental other than the internet modem. Is your 138$ including any hardware?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)