Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3110 posts
262 upvotes
I'm in NL and I'm shocked at the prices. You guys in Ontario are so lucky. I'm pretty much between Bell and Rogers and it's about $150 plus tax for a decent TV package with 500 down and a home phone that I don't want. It's crazy. And that's one TV. Anyone else from NL have any suggestions or contacts? Field Reps?
Jul 16, 2019
3 posts
Field reps are doing gigabit for $45 installation waived. Just got mine yesterday.
Nov 26, 2006
608 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I currently have Gigabit Internet, TV, and phone with Rogers. I want to drop everything but the Internet. Was wondering if I could get any decent offers for Gigabit Internet alone. If anyone got any info, please pm me! Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1540 posts
401 upvotes
So, are there any pros and cons for Ignite TV?

Got an offer Ignite TV Premier + 500U for like $150 tax in. Won't take it, as it is more than I'm paying now for old fashioned TV +500U,
but maybe it is worth bgsining a bit further if Ignite TV has some advantages?
Mar 7, 2010
49 posts
6 upvotes
Vaughan
Tichi wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 8:21 am

Got an offer Ignite TV Premier + 500U for like $150 tax in. Won't take it, as it is more than I'm paying now for old fashioned TV +500U,
I like the the set up of Ignite system and the voice commands are useful once you figure some of them out. I didn't previously have whole-home PVR, so being able to watch recorded programs anywhere within the house was a bonus. And accessing Netflix from the box without needing a Chromecast is a bonus as well.

Some people complain about the boxes constantly crashing or needing to be rebooted. I found that I needed to reboot them almost weekly the first month or two, but I suspect it was a result of firmware updates. I haven't had to do that in some time. My mom recently switched to Ignite and has only had to reboot a box once.

Whether any of this makes switching "worth it," I can't say. At the end of the day, it's cable tv. Make of it as you will....
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12080 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 8:21 am

I recently switched to Ignite TV and here are my thoughts:

Pros
- Ignite TV boxes give a better, more responsive GUI and user experience compared to their older boxes;
- Voice commands make it easier to search for channels & programming;
- Ability to initiate and watch recordings across all TV boxes;
- Access to on-demand programming;
- Flex channels give you the ability to customize your channel lineup and switch channels every 30 days (not sure if this is an Ignite-only feature);
- Ability to stream/watch live, on-demand & recording TV outside of your house (via mobile devices or any internet-connected browsers);
- Native support for Netflix and Youtube/Youtube Kids;

Cons:
- TV goes down if your internet connection goes down;
- No way to initiate recordings via mobile devices or via web/browser interface;
- May run into problems if the wifi in your home is congested or signal is weak (although the Rogers tech is supposed to troubleshoot and install wifi repeaters to get good signal to your TV locations);
- Although pricing is slowly dropping and more promotions are being offered, the price is still higher than their regular cable services;
- $150 installation fee is quite steep even if you are an existing cable customer (but you may be able to get some or all of it waived);
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1540 posts
401 upvotes
Shatterstar_03 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 9:23 am

I like the the set up of Ignite system and the voice commands are useful once you figure some of them out. I didn't previously have whole-home PVR, so being able to watch recorded programs anywhere within the house was a bonus. And accessing Netflix from the box without needing a Chromecast is a bonus as well.

Some people complain about the boxes constantly crashing or needing to be rebooted. I found that I needed to reboot them almost weekly the first month or two, but I suspect it was a result of firmware updates. I haven't had to do that in some time. My mom recently switched to Ignite and has only had to reboot a box once.

Whether any of this makes switching "worth it," I can't say. At the end of the day, it's cable tv. Make of it as you will....
rvs007 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 11:37 am
I recently switched to Ignite TV and here are my thoughts:

Pros
- Ignite TV boxes give a better, more responsive GUI and user experience compared to their older boxes;
- Voice commands make it easier to search for channels & programming;
- Ability to initiate and watch recordings across all TV boxes;
- Access to on-demand programming;
- Flex channels give you the ability to customize your channel lineup and switch channels every 30 days (not sure if this is an Ignite-only feature);
- Ability to stream/watch live, on-demand & recording TV outside of your house (via mobile devices or any internet-connected browsers);
- Native support for Netflix and Youtube/Youtube Kids;

Cons:
- TV goes down if your internet connection goes down;
- No way to initiate recordings via mobile devices or via web/browser interface;
- May run into problems if the wifi in your home is congested or signal is weak (although the Rogers tech is supposed to troubleshoot and install wifi repeaters to get good signal to your TV locations);
- Although pricing is slowly dropping and more promotions are being offered, the price is still higher than their regular cable services;
- $150 installation fee is quite steep even if you are an existing cable customer (but you may be able to get some or all of it waived);
Thanks a lot folks for your replies. Needs to be copied to Thread Summary, mods!

BTW What about those flex channels? Like bonus channel before? How many of them and what exactly are they?
Same for all packages? Could be interesting if one can get cheapest TV package and then adjust it to your taste.
But I could not find them online!?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12080 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:37 am
Thanks a lot folks for your replies. Needs to be copied to Thread Summary, mods!

BTW What about those flex channels? Like bonus channel before? How many of them and what exactly are they?
Same for all packages? Could be interesting if one can get cheapest TV package and then adjust it to your taste.
Here's a page I found about the flex channels:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... v-channels

And yes, it's kind of like the bonus channels but you have access to all of them, but only a set number you can have in your channel lineup at a time, based on what tier of cable package you have. For Ignite Premier it says I have 86 flex channels to exchange from.
May 27, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:37 am

The flex channel option is only available for the Select TV package and above. You can get the Starter TV(only package below select) and add individual packages and or theme packs but generally that ends up being more expensive unless there is just one or two channels you plan to watch. The flex channels for the 3 packages(select,popular,premier) are not all the same. The higher the package the more options you have to choose from. I believe with both the select and popular packages you can swap 10 channels and with premier you can swap 19
Apr 23, 2012
17 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener
Looking for contact information for a Field Sales Rep in Toronto. for Internet/TV. If you have a contact please PM me, thank you!
Sep 20, 2013
11 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
I just signed up with Rogers as a new customer. I was only interested in internet. Tried Live Chat first but offer was meh. Then a few days later, an agent called me and gave me a better offer. The offer was $59.99 for 12 months, 500u, no activation fee. I'm in Richmond Hill. Anyone want the agents' contact, PM me. He said to give it out to anyone looking for a deal.
May 15, 2004
143 posts
gregosh wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 11:37 am
Looking for contact information for a Field Sales Rep in Toronto. for Internet/TV. If you have a contact please PM me, thank you!
Same here
Jul 20, 2019
1 posts
Just signed up for Rogers.

Got

Ignite TV
2 Boxes
500Mbps
Home phone

186 All in

Not sure if its a decent deal. I do not have access to FTTH, and I have best to Fibe 25 in my area. Still have to deal with Inconsistent Rogers Internet, and I doubt if Bell will ever invest in FTTH in my area. Any thoughts if I can get a better promotion. Also install fee could not be waived I tried before to get it waived but they wouldn't budge. Tried about a month ago, with the threat to cancel if they could remove it, they wouldn't waive it so I had to cancel it. Hence I accepted that this time around had to go with it

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

esuccess, andesco