Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Rogers

Rogers Internet Retention Plan - $49.99/Month Ignite 500 Plan

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2018 3:31 pm
Aug 23, 2018
30 posts
17 upvotes
the capital
I'm on ignite75 with 500GB download limit $65.53 per month

tried to get a better deal on the phone yesterday - they just offered me more expensive improved deals with unlimited downloads.
I have only gone over my limit once in 10 years,but they seemed to ignore this :-(

I tried again via online chat on the Rogers page

Was offered Ignite150 for $73.44 inc tax and Ignite500 for $84.74
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
User142810 wrote: I'm on ignite75 with 500GB download limit $65.53 per month

tried to get a better deal on the phone yesterday - they just offered me more expensive improved deals with unlimited downloads.
I have only gone over my limit once in 10 years,but they seemed to ignore this :-(

I tried again via online chat on the Rogers page

Was offered Ignite150 for $73.44 inc tax and Ignite500 for $84.74
You have to cancel to get anywhere with this company.

That being said, how are you guys actually getting the gigabit speed network around your house? My old powerline ethernet conks out at 60Mbit, I just bought a new AV2000 and still it only gets just shy of 200Mbit. I'm wondering if setting up a wireless AC router as a wifi adapter would be any better or if I really have to run ethernet cable.
Aug 23, 2018
30 posts
17 upvotes
the capital
nabiul wrote: You have to cancel to get anywhere with this company.

That being said, how are you guys actually getting the gigabit speed network around your house? My old powerline ethernet conks out at 60Mbit, I just bought a new AV2000 and still it only gets just shy of 200Mbit. I'm wondering if setting up a wireless AC router as a wifi adapter would be any better or if I really have to run ethernet cable.
I don't really understand speed test results but it says Ping -10 Download - 82.33 Upload 7.56 . My router is ethernet connected
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
User142810 wrote: I don't really understand speed test results but it says Ping -10 Download - 82.33 Upload 7.56 . My router is ethernet connected
You have an 82 megabit connection, not bad but nothing stellar. It will max out wireless g but well within wireless n standard and higher. What I'm asking is for the guys paying for 500 megabit connection and higher, how are they moving that speed around their house? At some point your router and even your end devices networking hardware can't keep up.

I upgraded to 500u without really thinking about the logsitics of how to get that connection to my desktop computer. The TP link AV2000 powerline ethernet I bought is getting around 190 megabit down which is less than half of what a direct wired connection to the modem can get. And even at this speed my usenet downloads are coming in faster than my computer can decode them.

Truly amazing times we are living in.
Aug 23, 2018
30 posts
17 upvotes
the capital
nabiul wrote: You have an 82 megabit connection, not bad but nothing stellar. It will max out wireless g but well within wireless n standard and higher. What I'm asking is for the guys paying for 500 megabit connection and higher, how are they moving that speed around their house? At some point your router and even your end devices networking hardware can't keep up.

I upgraded to 500u without really thinking about the logsitics of how to get that connection to my desktop computer. The TP link AV2000 powerline ethernet I bought is getting around 190 megabit down which is less than half of what a direct wired connection to the modem can get. And even at this speed my usenet downloads are coming in faster than my computer can decode them.

Truly amazing times we are living in.
I've got ignite75 - So how am i getting 82 download ( Sorry,totally clueless about this stuff ) :-)
Nov 8, 2016
128 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Nabiul, How far your powerline adaptor connected.. I have one in bsmt and other 1st flr but I get only 20mbps. Is it because of flr ? it occasioanally spike to 50-60 but then drop again to 20
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
why are u guys using those powerline routers,can't u buy a cheap AC wifi router? powerlines are slowAF
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Saheest wrote: Nabiul, How far your powerline adaptor connected.. I have one in bsmt and other 1st flr but I get only 20mbps. Is it because of flr ? it occasioanally spike to 50-60 but then drop again to 20
Before I had mine connected at first floor near the TV going to second floor bedroom and that was ~195 Mbit max, then I moved it to the basement near my electrical panel and then got around ~280Mbit. Then I unplugged a bad cellphone charger that was making alot of noise and now am getting ~330Mbit. From what I understand, every jump across a circuit/ connection the powerline adapter has to make causes signal loss from reflected signals at the connection.

Test your connection out after unplugging non essential electronics, especially high frequency things and minimize the electrical distance between the plugs. In my case moving the modem to the basement near the electrical panel was a shorter electrical path than going from the first floor.
mikka2017 wrote: why are u guys using those powerline routers,can't u buy a cheap AC wifi router? powerlines are slowAF
That is what I was wondering; setting up a router as a wireless adapter. But now I'm skeptical if it would be faster than 330Mbit/s.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mikka2017 wrote: why are u guys using those powerline routers,can't u buy a cheap AC wifi router? powerlines are slowAF
because theres nearly zero ping/interference with powerline, even if the speed sucks.

if you're gaming, you don't need fast internet. but you need reliable connection.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)