[Rogers] Rogers Wireless - Fed Government

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 10:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
61 posts
51 upvotes

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless - Fed Government

I'm no expert on all the Rogers deals out there, but thought I'd share that they are currently offering a $400 port in credit for Federal Government employees across the country + the regular 30% off the monthly plan. I was quoted $0 for an iPhone Xr, $89 taxes in for 10 gigs with a Quebec number or $102 taxes in for an Ontario number, + $400 one time credit posted to my account after 2-3 months.

They also offered a $99 iPhone X.
69 replies
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why the downvotes? This is a pretty enticing deal for those who are eligible.
Nov 10, 2013
956 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto, ON
56kbps wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:14 pm
Why the downvotes? This is a pretty enticing deal for those who are eligible.
Could it be because people think government employees already make a hefty amount of money on top of all the perks and bonuses, that having a discount on wireless plan seems just "too much"?
I don't know myself, just assuming.
Mar 9, 2014
640 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
This has been going on for 2 years now
Oct 19, 2006
107 posts
133 upvotes
This is a great steal of a deal offer. No other carrier is giving away iphones and a 10gb plan at $89 taxes in a month. Its better than buying an iphone outright to keep your $60 plan which every carrier with notice can kick you off of or change pricing on since their is no contract.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11121 posts
2622 upvotes
Varian wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 12:11 am
Could it be because people think government employees already make a hefty amount of money on top of all the perks and bonuses, that having a discount on wireless plan seems just "too much"?
I don't know myself, just assuming.
It's quite a misconception. There are probably some that are very highly paid, but the average public sector employees can't negotiate private contracts, and the details are usually open to the public. And monetary items on contracts don't usually gain great stride, as you are negotiating for a very large group and the money comes from taxpayers. I am a provincial employee, and all of my family who work in the private sector, banking, etc, make much more than I do and have better work terms!
The downvotes could be because it's Rogers, that usually garners a few easily. Could also be because there are better or similar deals out there for winbacks, etc too. Not sure, I think it's not a bad deal, but not for me anyhow.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Apr 18, 2017
344 posts
567 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 3:32 am

It's quite a misconception. There are probably some that are very highly paid, but the average public sector employees can't negotiate private contracts, and the details are usually open to the public. And monetary items on contracts don't usually gain great stride, as you are negotiating for a very large group and the money comes from taxpayers. I am a provincial employee, and all of my family who work in the private sector, banking, etc, make much more than I do and have better work terms!
The downvotes could be because it's Rogers, that usually garners a few easily. Could also be because there are better or similar deals out there for winbacks, etc too. Not sure, I think it's not a bad deal, but not for me anyhow.
This is absolutely true. Federal employees pays are on agency websites, and the public can view them. It's a massive misconception that they make a ton of money. Good money, yes, but not as much as people like to think. There are also almost no perks, just job security.
Mar 7, 2011
595 posts
408 upvotes
Can you get the iPhone and then leave after 6-12 months etc.?
Mar 7, 2011
595 posts
408 upvotes
Can you get the iPhone and then leave after 6-12 months etc.?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10184 posts
509 upvotes
This might be a good deal in some provinces but everyone I know out East who was on the Rogers GoC plans are bailing because Koodo, Public Mobile and Eastlink are all considerably cheaper than the Rogers plan. Not to mention Rogers has the worst reception of all the carriers (again, out East) and pretty bad service all around.
May 21, 2011
74 posts
81 upvotes
Not to distract from the topic..but an entry level engineer in the government gets paid $52K. In the private sector fresh graduates are offered well over $100K to start with perks and bonuses. As for job security there is now a performance review and you can be let go which has happened, pension and sick leave they are all being negotiated away by various governments. In any case those who do well, will do well in the government or private sector. Those who complain about others getting better jobs and benefits should take a look at their own careers and see if they have not put in enough effort into their own jobs or education.
Jul 26, 2014
6 posts
14 upvotes
Milton, ON
This deal as gone off topic so I will say will also add to the fact that government doesn't pay you well. Just average at-market rates and yes there is job security. You do get really good benefits. However, you don't find Federal employees all wearing rolex's do you?

The misconception isn't justified and flawed about federal employees.