Rogers is silently crippling the Digital-to-Analog TV adapter

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2018 11:32 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
4 posts
6 upvotes

Rogers is silently crippling the Digital-to-Analog TV adapter

When Rogers cable went full digital a couple years back, it provided its cable customers with (optional) digital-to-analog TV adapters for free of charge. I was able to use these adapters to view all channels up-to channel 60'ish. A few days ago, as my bundle discount expires, I called in and negotiated a new discount arrangement which include switching from VIP cable package to Premium Cable package. After the switch, I just found out that a lot of cable channels are missing on the 2 digital-to-analog TV adapters. When I call Rogers' tech support, I was informed that the digital-to-analogy TV adapters are remotely downgraded as soon as a customer is changing cable plan. Once downgraded, only the basic over the air channels are carried on the digital-to-analog TV adapters. This is part of Rogers' plan to eventually withdraw support to these digital-to-analog TV adapter (therefore, forcing customers to rent the NEXTBox!). And, the CSRs are not allowed to restore the capability. I find that this is high handed. What do you think?
19 replies
Jun 21, 2008
285 posts
55 upvotes
mississauga
I seriously suggest investing on OTA (over the air) using an antenna. Lots of help on RFD for that
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1302 posts
684 upvotes
Could be a fun class-action lawsuit if Rogers deliberately and remotely damaged your property and that of others.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1042 posts
168 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Well if you're asking here, I can only offer my 2 cents - cut the cord. That will send them the message...
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
4 posts
6 upvotes
Unfortunately these Digital-to-Analog TV adapters are Rogers property on loan to us free of charge. Rogers is "crippling" them so you have to rent or buy a digital box to receive services.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1310 posts
559 upvotes
GTA
Rogers did that to my grandfather years ago, started removing channels, moved him over to the box for "free" because he didn't have HD, (taking advantage of seniors) and gave him like 1/3 of the channels for what he was paying for. I complained and did it f-all, they said sorry I couldn't get it back, so when I threatened to cancel and remove all services they gave the $25 starter pack with the news-pack addon for free for life. Pathetic f's. He won't cancel because he likes his cp24 and etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4857 posts
781 upvotes
Get OTA antenna and subscribe to Netflix, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9806 posts
1034 upvotes
why do you even want to waste time open this thread or even talk to Robelus? i stop wasting my time begging them for better price..i am customer..screw them.why should I waste my time to beg? there r other ways for TV channels...Robelus is not the only selection..

like another person above said..CUT THE CORD and show them your middle finger.......every of my friend and family cut the cord long time..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7649 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
wblonline wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:45 am
Unfortunately these Digital-to-Analog TV adapters are Rogers property on loan to us free of charge. Rogers is "crippling" them so you have to rent or buy a digital box to receive services.
I have an older crt tv and my Landlady who gives me cable free, got the new modem and a netbox for me but same package as before.
I lost quite a bit of channels.
I am not complaining because I'm not paying but it sucks to pay for something and not be getting it.
Google says it's signal strength that is the problem.
But the Explorer 4642HD box is also finnicky.
I removed the splitter and just put an F connector but no dice.
I watch less TV now.:)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1373 posts
428 upvotes
London
jensen1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:54 pm
I seriously suggest investing on OTA (over the air) using an antenna. Lots of help on RFD for that
This seems to be a favorite response from those in the GTA.
Don't assume OTA is realistic possibility for others.
It sure isn't here.
Mar 4, 2009
477 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
wblonline wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:14 pm
I find that this is high handed. What do you think?
I couldn't agree more. This is absolutely disgraceful if you ask me. And these companies wonder why people despise them.

My Rogers promotions were coming up for renewal so I called yesterday and negotiated a new deal. I was on the Digital Plus TV package and was offered the new "Popular TV" package, which seemed superior to what I had already and at a lower cost so I took the deal. Then this morning I turn on my TV that's hooked up to a DTA box to discover I'm missing dozens of channels that I'd had previously. I contacted Rogers thinking it must be a technical glitch that would be easily fixed. Nope... I was informed that the channels available with my new TV package were not available over my DTA box - a fact that neither of the two CSR's I spoke with prior to making the change had informed me of. I asked to go back to my old package, and of course was told this was not possible. They claimed the only solution was for me to get a cable box for that TV if I wanted to get my old channels back. I have no desire for a box on that TV, but said fine, I'll take one, assuming they would give me one for free. Wrong again, they want $12/month. Or, they helpfully added, I can downgrade my service if I want to keep the price point the same as the offer I was given. So I'm supposed to agree to a lesser service plan because they failed to inform me of their decision to arbitrarily cripple my DTA after changing packages.

It's one thing for Rogers to want to slowly do away with the DTA boxes, but at the VERY least they should be informing customers of what they're doing and ideally offering at least a one year free loaner box while customers make the transition. I've been with them for 17 years, so it's not like I'm a new customer, so you'd think I'd get a sliver of good will, but apparently not.

No need to comment if all you have to say is "Rogers sucks, go OTA" - I know this already, thank you.
Sep 16, 2006
840 posts
148 upvotes
Pickering
Between what KODI is capable of and a high end over-the-air antenna (especially if you are high up in a condo building/apartment building and face south or have line of sight with the CN tower) I don't think we need cable any more.
I have been cable free for years now and it is fine. I personally use netflix/youtube/craveTV and my cheap antenna.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2619 posts
513 upvotes
Oshawa
You can still get the Standard TV Box .... you don't have to get the NextBox. It's cheaper.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1310 posts
559 upvotes
GTA
AV-Fishing wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 10:50 pm
You can still get the Standard TV Box .... you don't have to get the NextBox. It's cheaper.
Yea but you still have to pay a monthly fee for it, instead of giving it to him for free. I think they charge like $4.95 for the standard non-HD box (if they still give them out) grandfathered (I have no idea), otherwise its the basic 1080p HD digital box for $8.95 or some crap like that. Unless you manage to find a standard digital terminal/box on Kijiji and get Rogers to activate it, then you're SOL. People still sell them on there for like $50-60 a pop, the non-HD ones. Other people charge over $100 for the 1080p HD box.
Mar 4, 2009
477 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
I might just pick up an old HD box, found one for $20 already, but it's the principle that bugs me, I don't appreciate them intentionally neglecting to tell me the DTA would be affected by the new package, not cool at all. Either way I'm going to follow-up with them and the CRTC to attempt to cause them as much grief as possible about it. A total waste of time I'm sure, but it will make me feel better :)