Computers & Electronics

Rogers is silently crippling the Digital-to-Analog TV adapter

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 11:40 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts

Rogers is silently crippling the Digital-to-Analog TV adapter

When Rogers cable went full digital a couple years back, it provided its cable customers with (optional) digital-to-analog TV adapters for free of charge. I was able to use these adapters to view all channels up-to channel 60'ish. A few days ago, as my bundle discount expires, I called in and negotiated a new discount arrangement which include switching from VIP cable package to Premium Cable package. After the switch, I just found out that a lot of cable channels are missing on the 2 digital-to-analog TV adapters. When I call Rogers' tech support, I was informed that the digital-to-analogy TV adapters are remotely downgraded as soon as a customer is changing cable plan. Once downgraded, only the basic over the air channels are carried on the digital-to-analog TV adapters. This is part of Rogers' plan to eventually withdraw support to these digital-to-analog TV adapter (therefore, forcing customers to rent the NEXTBox!). And, the CSRs are not allowed to restore the capability. I find that this is high handed. What do you think?
9 replies
Jun 21, 2008
242 posts
47 upvotes
mississauga
I seriously suggest investing on OTA (over the air) using an antenna. Lots of help on RFD for that
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
Could be a fun class-action lawsuit if Rogers deliberately and remotely damaged your property and that of others.
Oct 19, 2007
937 posts
130 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Well if you're asking here, I can only offer my 2 cents - cut the cord. That will send them the message...
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts
Unfortunately these Digital-to-Analog TV adapters are Rogers property on loan to us free of charge. Rogers is "crippling" them so you have to rent or buy a digital box to receive services.
Dec 1, 2010
821 posts
268 upvotes
GTA
Rogers did that to my grandfather years ago, started removing channels, moved him over to the box for "free" because he didn't have HD, (taking advantage of seniors) and gave him like 1/3 of the channels for what he was paying for. I complained and did it f-all, they said sorry I couldn't get it back, so when I threatened to cancel and remove all services they gave the $25 starter pack with the news-pack addon for free for life. Pathetic f's. He won't cancel because he likes his cp24 and etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8547 posts
801 upvotes
why do you even want to waste time open this thread or even talk to Robelus? i stop wasting my time begging them for better price..i am customer..screw them.why should I waste my time to beg? there r other ways for TV channels...Robelus is not the only selection..

like another person above said..CUT THE CORD and show them your middle finger.......every of my friend and family cut the cord long time..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6855 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
wblonline wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:45 am
Unfortunately these Digital-to-Analog TV adapters are Rogers property on loan to us free of charge. Rogers is "crippling" them so you have to rent or buy a digital box to receive services.
I have an older crt tv and my Landlady who gives me cable free, got the new modem and a netbox for me but same package as before.
I lost quite a bit of channels.
I am not complaining because I'm not paying but it sucks to pay for something and not be getting it.
Google says it's signal strength that is the problem.
But the Explorer 4642HD box is also finnicky.
I removed the splitter and just put an F connector but no dice.
I watch less TV now.:)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1280 posts
350 upvotes
London
jensen1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:54 pm
I seriously suggest investing on OTA (over the air) using an antenna. Lots of help on RFD for that
This seems to be a favorite response from those in the GTA.
Don't assume OTA is realistic possibility for others.
It sure isn't here.