Cell Phones

Is Rogers still charging $50 for unlocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2013 10:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me

Is Rogers still charging $50 for unlocks?

Have there been any recent developments with the government making that fee cheaper?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
not that i know of. i still have my iphone 4 and don't wanna pay so much for a simple unlock.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
You know it's quite unfair. Cell locking is a artificial restriction created by carriers and they force customers into buying a unlock that only they could provide. It's kinda like buying a dog from an exterminator but then the dog infests your house with fleas but that exterminator is the only one licensed in town to use the pesticides that kill the fleas.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 11:53 pm
You know it's quite unfair. Cell locking is a artificial restriction created by carriers and they force customers into buying a unlock that only they could provide. It's kinda like buying a dog from an exterminator but then the dog infests your house with fleas but that exterminator is the only one licensed in town to use the pesticides that kill the fleas.
Pretty much. My contract is done and the subsidy is all paid off. They have already recooped their cost of the phone already. This unlock BS nets even more for them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9378 posts
1942 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 11:53 pm
That is exactly the problem with paid unlocks. It is a racket. If an organization was in the habit of brutalizing local businesses and then offered protection in exchange for money, that is called a racket. One of the definitions of an illegal racket is a practice where you create a problem and then charge to solve that problem. "I won't break you legs if you pay me". That is exactly what the carriers do with locks. They introduce an intentional defect and the charge you to fix it later.

On top of that, their roaming practices would seem to meet the definition as well. A) because the phones are locked, you are forced to roam and pay extortionist roaming rates. Problem : locked phone that prevents you from using local services. Solution : pay obscene roaming rates.

And all of that is above and beyond the fact that locked phones in and of themselves should be considered an illegal restraint of trade. There is no legitimate reason for a phone to be locked. We are given excuses like "well, you got a discount, so that's why it's locked". That doesn't make a bit of sense. We received a discount and so we signed a long term contract. The lock doesn't keep you in contract. The contract keeps you in contract. If you leave, you pay termination fees (and can then get the phone unlocked). So how exactly does it help the carrier ensure they make their subsidy back? It doesn't. A lock has no bearing at all on whether a customer stays in their contract. So what does it do? A lock guarantees that any extra revenue you might generate, say to use another domestic carrier while still under contract to your main carrier or to use a foreign carrier's network, will either be prevented or will only be done if your main carrier gets to decide how and when you will use your phone and how much you will pay to use another service. It's your property fully, yet they get to decide how you use it to do business with another carrier. That is literally restraint of trade and is generally illegal except in the wireless world.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1466 posts
157 upvotes
Standard unlocking fee ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2530 posts
84 upvotes
Can I unlock my own Iphone 4s that will be coming from Fido over to Rogers provided I jailbreak it first?

If so, can anyone send me the procedures please.

If not.I see people on kijiji doing it for 30 so I'm assuming anyone can do it then?

Any online services that email you the unlock code, who's the cheapest?
Nov 5, 2009
391 posts
36 upvotes
$50 is not a bad price for this. The other conditions are harsh. Contract ended, 3 years etc. You should be able to unlock whenever
Sep 24, 2010
916 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Even after the 3 yr contract is over, I checked with Rogers and they charge $50 for unlocking.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11449 posts
2112 upvotes
Toronto
So this is an official carrier tax on hardware. They install a lock which adds no value to the user and then demand ransom to remove it.
× < >