Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

Rogers is trying to screw with me, after the 15 days

On Jan.3rd I activated a new plan, added 2 phones and one tablet to my account in addition to the 2 phones that I already had.

and I posted the results of that plan on rfd, the same day.
using-rogers-tablet-plans-android-smartplans-1432717/

Now a month later I receive a bill for 300$ from Rogers.

15$ connection fee plus 10$ hardware fee on 3 of the lines. (one tablet) (75$) <<- no mention of this fee, was told that there was a fee for the sim card, but was told she would waive it for me since I was a long time customer.
and 35$/line instead of the agreed upon 15$.

After spending about 90 minutes phones on the phone with them, they have told me that there no credits on the Share Everything plan and that they would make a one time exception for me and do $25/line. That's still 15$ higher than what I agreed, so I declined the offer.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
What's your contract say?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
neverhaveiever wrote: What's your contract say?
contract?

my monthly statement shows 35/mo with a 10$ credit on two of the lines.
2Yr term (not sure why or how that happened, I didn't even get a device from them)
and it shows Hardware and connect fee on the "free" tablet and 2 phones
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
Did you not sign some sort of paper?
In the post you linked to you said you activated a new plan. Surely you got some sort of paperwork you signed?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
neverhaveiever wrote: Did you not sign some sort of paper?
In the post you linked to you said you activated a new plan. Surely you got some sort of paperwork you signed?
no. It was done all over the phone. No verbal contacts either. (you know the ones where they read something and you have to say YES)
Mar 18, 2003
193 posts
128 upvotes
Calgary
Find out what the new wireless code says for contracts after 2nd Dec 2013. I believe you must be sent a copy of what you agreed to verbally within a particular time frame. If that time is past and you are disputing what your bill indicates and what you agreed to you will likely be able to cancel your contract with them.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
nzoka wrote: Find out what the new wireless code says for contracts after 2nd Dec 2013. I believe you must be sent a copy of what you agreed to verbally within a particular time frame. If that time is past and you are disputing what your bill indicates and what you agreed to you will likely be able to cancel your contract with them.
I would be shocked if that was part of the new wireless code...I don't think any company will send you documented information about a phone call/negotiation. All they always say is I have it documented, yadda, yadda, yadda...come the time to call them on the promise the customer is told to pound sand as it appears happened here. Typically though, after you deal with rogers and plans are changed they send you out some sort of email confirmation with what was revised on your plans. If this did not happen, my guess is that rogers will mysteriously have no record of the transaction. That is why I always ask for some sort of email confirmation...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Get them to e-mail you exactly what they are giving you, as well as the costs. If they won't do that...
Mar 18, 2003
193 posts
128 upvotes
Calgary
redsfan wrote: I would be shocked if that was part of the new wireless code...I don't think any company will send you documented information about a phone call/negotiation. All they always say is I have it documented, yadda, yadda, yadda...come the time to call them on the promise the customer is told to pound sand as it appears happened here. Typically though, after you deal with rogers and plans are changed they send you out some sort of email confirmation with what was revised on your plans. If this did not happen, my guess is that rogers will mysteriously have no record of the transaction. That is why I always ask for some sort of email confirmation...
It is in the wireless code. Read it for yourself.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

look at B. Contracts and related documents and 1. Postpaid service contracts.
I will quote it below for you:
i. A service provider must give the customer a permanent copy of the contract and related documents at no charge in the following circumstances:
If the contract is agreed to in person, the service provider must give the contract and related documents to the customer immediately after the customer agrees to the contract.
If the contract is not agreed to in person (i.e. if it is agreed to over the phone, online, or otherwise at a distance), the service provider must send the contract and related documents to the customer within 15 calendar days of the customer agreeing to the contract. If a service provider fails to do this, or if the terms and conditions of the permanent copy of the contract conflict with the terms and conditions that the customer agreed to, the customer may, within 30 calendar days of receiving the permanent copy of the contract, cancel the contract without paying an early cancellation fee or any other penalty.
The service provider must also provide the customer with a paper copy of the contract upon request at no charge, at any time during the commitment period.
The permanent copy of the contract and related documents must be a paper copy, unless the customer expressly and knowingly decides that an electronic copy is acceptable.
A service provider must provide a customer with a copy of the contract in an alternative format for people with disabilities upon request, at no charge, at any time during the commitment period.
Contracts for postpaid services must set out all of the information listed below in a clear manner (items a-m):"

So since he did not receive any hardcopy within 15 days, he can request a hard copy and if the terms are not satisfactory, cancel within 30 days of receipt.

The code has so much protection, we need to know what it says and not move by assumptions.

So to the original poster . Follow up on this . Rogers has to abide by the terms of the wireless code.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
nzoka wrote: It is in the wireless code. Read it for yourself.

i. A service provider must give the customer a permanent copy of the contract and related documents at no charge in the following circumstances:
If the contract is agreed to in person, the service provider must give the contract and related documents to the customer immediately after the customer agrees to the contract.
If the contract is not agreed to in person (i.e. if it is agreed to over the phone, online, or otherwise at a distance), the service provider must send the contract and related documents to the customer within 15 calendar days of the customer agreeing to the contract. If a service provider fails to do this, or if the terms and conditions of the permanent copy of the contract conflict with the terms and conditions that the customer agreed to, the customer may, within 30 calendar days of receiving the permanent copy of the contract, cancel the contract without paying an early cancellation fee or any other penalty.
The service provider must also provide the customer with a paper copy of the contract upon request at no charge, at any time during the commitment period.
The permanent copy of the contract and related documents must be a paper copy, unless the customer expressly and knowingly decides that an electronic copy is acceptable.
A service provider must provide a customer with a copy of the contract in an alternative format for people with disabilities upon request, at no charge, at any time during the commitment period.
Contracts for postpaid services must set out all of the information listed below in a clear manner (items a-m):"

So since he did not receive any hardcopy within 15 days, he can request a hard copy and if the terms are not satisfactory, cancel within 30 days of receipt.

The code has so much protection, we need to know what it says and not move by assumptions.

So to the original poster . Follow up on this . Rogers has to abide by the terms of the wireless code.
that is good to know, but unfortunately the OP did not ask for some sort of confirmation to be sent asap so he has no recourse right now. That is the providers way around it all...we never said that, we have no documentation, etc. How can one prove otherwise? You can ask while on the line with them to be sent something and they can reply our system sends it out in 24 hours. Thus they comply, but, you know what can happen next..
Mar 18, 2003
193 posts
128 upvotes
Calgary
redsfan wrote: that is good to know, but unfortunately the OP did not ask for some sort of confirmation to be sent asap so he has no recourse right now. That is the providers way around it all...we never said that, we have no documentation, etc. How can one prove otherwise? You can ask while on the line with them to be sent something and they can reply our system sends it out in 24 hours. Thus they comply, but, you know what can happen next..
I know the provider can come up with excuses, but if you read the code, the language is very clear. The onus to furnish any contract related information is on the provider (no more the customer must request). It clearly states : THE PROVIDER MUST.... (not if asked). You will see that throughout the document there are a number of instances where the word ...MUST..is used. This implies an obligation and not an option.
For people who had accounts before Dec 2 2013 when the code came into effect, they can play that bullying game, but no more for new accounts since that date. If the OP has no satisfactory resolution, he can complain to the address indicated in the information in the wireless code link I posted.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
nzoka wrote: I know the provider can come up with excuses, but if you read the code, it says: THE PROVIDER MUST.... (not if asked).
For people who had accounts before Dec 2 2013 when the code came into effect, they can play that bullying game, but no more for new accounts since that date. If the OP has no satisfactory resolution, he can complain to the address indicated in the information in the wireless code link I posted.
I would hazzard a guess that if I called Rogers right now and they offered me something, and left the conversation at that....there is no chance of me getting some sort of phone call confirmation sent to me via email, etc. Sure he can complain, so that should be the next step if he so chooses. Again though I have zero faith in these types of codes, etc, that for the most part get tied up in bureaucracy. I can complain to the right authority that a fitness club has illegally charged my credit card for something, etc, but they do very little to help you out.

Be good to know if others have found providers fulfilling their mandate when it comes to the wireless code...
Mar 18, 2003
193 posts
128 upvotes
Calgary
redsfan wrote: I would hazzard a guess that if I called Rogers right now and they offered me something, and left the conversation at that....there is no chance of me getting some sort of phone call confirmation sent to me via email, etc. Sure he can complain, so that should be the next step if he so chooses. Again though I have zero faith in these types of codes, etc, that for the most part get tied up in bureaucracy. I can complain to the right authority that a fitness club has illegally charged my credit card for something, etc, but they do very little to help you out.

Be good to know if others have found providers fulfilling their mandate when it comes to the wireless code...
Have you ever complained to the CCTS on any wireless related issues where the provider was not fulfilling their end of an account related issue? If you have then you would have faith in one process that works. Examples on the internet include the the 'dead air' issue when one ported to another provider and one was still being charged for the 30days notice meanwhile no temporary 30 day account for usage was being provided. The providers involved credited the users after the CCTS got involved.
If the OP sees no resolution he should contact the CCTS period. You will see how quickly he will get a call from the Rogers Office of the president to resolve the issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
nzoka wrote: Find out what the new wireless code says for contracts after 2nd Dec 2013. I believe you must be sent a copy of what you agreed to verbally within a particular time frame. If that time is past and you are disputing what your bill indicates and what you agreed to you will likely be able to cancel your contract with them.
Absolutely. It is usually done via an email. I have three different contracts running with Rogers and all verbal agreements (over the phone) were followed by a detailed description of a contract and the cost by an email.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
just checked my email and then sent me like 5 different e-mails for account changes.....

I do see a contract for the two phones are 35$ each and they mention a connection fee of 15$, looks like every time I ported in a number, they canceled my plan and than and reactivated it....

they sent me a paper copy of something similar before, but it was showing monthly costs of over 100$ on each plan so I figured it was just showing the regular pricing and my discounts would appear later on me bill. (ie. the contract's doesn't show the monthly 10$ off that's on the two lines that haven't been ported yet)

but the discount was supposed to be 20$ off each line, not 10$.

If they don't apply discounts on the share everything plan than why do I even have a 10$ credit on two of the lines?

For now, I've asked Rogers to have the original rep call me. They didn't give me a time or date, I just hope she doesn't call during lecture.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
nzoka wrote: It is in the wireless code. Read it for yourself.

That was really informative, thanks.

I'm going to be renewing soon and knowing that they have to provide me with a paper copy and that I can dispute within 30 days is awesome, I was going to have to record the call but this is much better.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: just checked my email and then sent me like 5 different e-mails for account changes.....

I do see a contract for the two phones are 35$ each and they mention a connection fee of 15$, looks like every time I ported in a number, they canceled my plan and than and reactivated it....

they sent me a paper copy of something similar before, but it was showing monthly costs of over 100$ on each plan so I figured it was just showing the regular pricing and my discounts would appear later on me bill. (ie. the contract's doesn't show the monthly 10$ off that's on the two lines that haven't been ported yet)

but the discount was supposed to be 20$ off each line, not 10$.

If they don't apply discounts on the share everything plan than why do I even have a 10$ credit on two of the lines?

For now, I've asked Rogers to have the original rep call me. They didn't give me a time or date, I just hope she doesn't call during lecture.
keep us updated as to what happens. Any time I have called they have sent account change info, even when I have not asked for it to change!! Looks like they are doing what they are supposed to, but not doing it correctly...guess that is a start? LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
redsfan wrote: keep us updated as to what happens. Any time I have called they have sent account change info, even when I have not asked for it to change!! Looks like they are doing what they are supposed to, but not doing it correctly...guess that is a start? LOL
been a week, no call back. Going to call again

best they could do is 10$ off, and I have to pay for connection and activation fees. wth... I paid off the tabs off my Wind phones for Rogers and then they pull this crap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
alright made some progress,

the free tablet is now actually free. Got 25$ in credits for it
and additional 25$ off one phone. But that still leaves 25$ ....

and the additional 30/mo they are charging me

EDIT:

okay so according to my contact I should be paying
55+35+35+35
Plus 100$ in activation

according to my bill I am paying
45+25+35+35
Plus 75$ in activation

according to their system, I am paying
35+20+25+25
Plus 25$ in activation (50 was waived)

what I was supposed to get:
55+15+15+15
Free Sim card + no mention of connection fee

so wth Rogers? You can't give out credits higher than 10$ yet, 1 phone has 20 and another has 15.

I mean it works out in the end for me. except I'm paying that initial high first month and 25$ for a sim card

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)