• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2010 9:23 am
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
9 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga

Rogers Unlimited Social Networking and Mobile Browsing Add-on

My wife and I are rockin' the Rogers network with an unlocked iPhone 3G and an unlocked Nokia X3. I just saw that Rogers offers a Monthly Unlimited Social Networking and Mobile Browsing Add-on for $10/month. I'm considering switching to that plan from my 25.00/mo 500MB data plan.

Rogers describes the plan as follows:

"Save with a $10/month Unlimited Social Networking and Mobile Browsing Add-on.2 Get unlimited social networking, mobile browsing and application use for the month, Get this add-on in a Value Pack to save even more!"

When I look at the fine print, it tells me that this add-on
"Includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Rogers certified devices. Usage subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, rogers.com/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/kB apply when roaming."

So my questions are:
- what's a "Rogers certified device?" Do they have some way of checking that I'm actually using a "certified device?"
- do they actually monitor traffic to check if I'm using "on-device mobile browsing?" What happens if I do other things (tether, download files, etc.) over this service

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3280 posts
424 upvotes
Kingston
josephby wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 7:20 pm
My wife and I are rockin' the Rogers network with an unlocked iPhone 3G and an unlocked Nokia X3. I just saw that Rogers offers a Monthly Unlimited Social Networking and Mobile Browsing Add-on for $10/month. I'm considering switching to that plan from my 25.00/mo 500MB data plan.

Rogers describes the plan as follows:

"Save with a $10/month Unlimited Social Networking and Mobile Browsing Add-on.2 Get unlimited social networking, mobile browsing and application use for the month, Get this add-on in a Value Pack to save even more!"

When I look at the fine print, it tells me that this add-on
"Includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Rogers certified devices. Usage subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, rogers.com/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/kB apply when roaming."

So my questions are:
- what's a "Rogers certified device?" Do they have some way of checking that I'm actually using a "certified device?"
- do they actually monitor traffic to check if I'm using "on-device mobile browsing?" What happens if I do other things (tether, download files, etc.) over this service

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated
Answer #1: The way I understand it is that a Rogers certified device is a device that is locked to Rogers. However, I don't think the phone really matters if it is locked to Rogers or not.

Answer #2: I am sure they monitor what your viewing and the usage. However, you can't tether or download large files with this package. It is simply for Facebook and Twitter updates and general web browsing on your device. If you are planning on downloading torrents and usenet using this package then you are in for a bit of a surprise as it won't work. This package is exactly what the title says it is. It is for light usage on the go.
Oct 1, 2005
258 posts
40 upvotes
iphone will not work with UMB feature, the only 2 smart phones that UMB will work with are the N95 and nokia 5800 ( although I'm no expert) they use the IMEI to authorize the feature. Some people have been able to add UMB to non rogers phones but I have seen no proof. tethering is NOT included although there is a few ways around this (joikuspot). I am sure someone who is more informed will help you out.

*edit* this topic would get a lot better info in the cell phone section

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... rfing-plan link for UMB topic on HOFO 61 pages
2005 befirsttoplay: official xbox360 winner, Nov 6 4am
2006 wineveryhour: Accessory Prize Pack winner, Nov 17 1pm
2009 FLIP US YOUR SMILE contest! Flip MinoHD x 2
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8077 posts
882 upvotes
So I have the 15 dollar 150 meg data plan. I pretty much just surf webpages like espn, facebook, email, redflagdeals etc. Is the 10 dollar plan the way to go then? I never stream videos from youtube using the data plan.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 1, 2005
258 posts
40 upvotes
bobbings wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 8:55 pm
Is the 10 dollar plan the way to go then? .
as long as you have a dumb phone then yes
2005 befirsttoplay: official xbox360 winner, Nov 6 4am
2006 wineveryhour: Accessory Prize Pack winner, Nov 17 1pm
2009 FLIP US YOUR SMILE contest! Flip MinoHD x 2
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8077 posts
882 upvotes
penguin318 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 8:56 pm
as long as you have a dumb phone then yes
I guess no for me then. I'm using the X10
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6156 posts
876 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Yep. You need a dumb phone. This add-on worked on my K790 but not my E71 (it used to).

Roger certified device means a device bought from Rogers but it doesn't need to be locked AFAIK. Rogers checks the phones IMEI to verify this.
There's a sucker born every minute.