Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 28, 2015
196 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Rogers VIP Cable package

We're currently paying $91/month for the VIP cable package with the $5/month terminal box fee. We need this package for AMC and TCM but is there anyway to negotiate this price. We have been a long time client (meaningless, I know) but don't have any other services to bundle.

The listed price on their website is $77.
Bell has a promotional $47 for 3 months, $74 thereafter.
13 replies
Jun 3, 2010
798 posts
196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I hate "negotiating" with Rogers...it is a pain, but a necessity. That said, having multiple services will of course give you more bargaining power. So no other service will make it difficult to get anything decent. I think a lot of people are moving away from having a cable plan and putting that cable money savings into the ISP (faster speed) and streaming services that are out there like Netflix and such. They also couple this with a US DNS service so you can get the US services as well like Hulu and all those US only sites for movies and such.

Even if you watch regular TV, there are now services that you can build to get this.

MAYBE you can use arguments like this to help with your "negotiating"? I know it is not exactly the same, but if you can show them that you did the math and you find them unreasonable, maybe you can get "something" for it. I used VoIP to talk down my Rogers home phone service price. But mind you, I do have my services with them. Good luck.
Mar 5, 2013
495 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
Call Bell and ask how much they would charge for a similar service. Then call Roger and see if you can get a better deal and say Bell is offering the same package at XXX price. At the first stage, they won't give you anything. Say you want to cancel and ask to to be transferred to their retention department.
Jan 8, 2013
138 posts
16 upvotes
overcross wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 1:36 pm
We're currently paying $91/month for the VIP cable package with the $5/month terminal box fee. We need this package for AMC and TCM but is there anyway to negotiate this price. We have been a long time client (meaningless, I know) but don't have any other services to bundle.

The listed price on their website is $77.
Bell has a promotional $47 for 3 months, $74 thereafter.
They have you over a barrel. You are spending well over $1,000 a year for TV!
I cut the cord 2 years ago and have no regrets.
Unlimited internet from Tekksavvy. $8 for Netflix each month. I have Winegard outdoor antennaes stacked - one pointed at Toronto and the other at Buffalo. I get over 20 HD channels free over the air.
Get your TV connected to the Internet and you can access lots of legit streaming. FilmOn has lots of free content. And Hola Unblocker lets you access Hulu and many other websites that have loads of shows on demand.
Cut the cord.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1006 upvotes
Just call them and tell them your sick of them raising their prices all the time and it's now way too expensive and you are considering cancelling unless you get a better deal. Ask to speak to customer retention. They will give you a deal. We have done this before.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2876 posts
541 upvotes
Just call, be nice and ask... tell them exactly what you indicated... the same package listed on the website is $77 and Bell has a promo for 3 months at $47... they will likely give it to you.

I have a friend who works for Bell Media and got 40% off for her Rogers product.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14014 posts
4005 upvotes
Here 'n There
The only service I have with Rogers is VIP cable with no extra specialty packages. I paid $52.48/mos + HST until last month but the VIP package went up $2/mos before my discount so I now pay $53.88 + HST. I own my PVR.

All I can say is negotiate negotiate negotiate and go up the ladder at Rogers. I need to renegotiate this every year but keep on getting it.

At this price I am happy to stay with cable rather than to go to an antenna + Internet which would not give me the stations I want conveniently and easily, not to mention I'd have to buy a Tivo PVR for $200 and then subscribe to the Tivo programming service for $15/mos USD which is $17/mos CDN and I do need a TIVO PVR to record programs. So for a savings of $460/yr (less amortized cost of the Tivo), it is just not worth it for me to lose my cable service and the extra stations and convenience it provides. I'll save my money elsewhere.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2015
196 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone. I called Rogers just after posting this thread and got the $91/month reduced to $58 all in with the terminal box being free.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13791 posts
1303 upvotes
I was going to say cut the cord and get a HTPC, but to each their own.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2876 posts
541 upvotes
overcross wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 4:55 pm
Thanks everyone. I called Rogers just after posting this thread and got the $91/month reduced to $58 all in with the terminal box being free.
See? Worse case scenario would have been a no. All worked out.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14014 posts
4005 upvotes
Here 'n There
overcross wrote:
All in? Does that include the tax? Even without that's a better deal that I'm getting as I have a no specialty packages.
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4289 posts
1402 upvotes
overcross wrote:
Who did you speak with? Retention? I am paying $80 with taxes in for VIP right now. I am thinking of cutting this down to basic which the CSR told me would be $40 (way too much). I would want to pay $15. Wondering if that's possible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5989 posts
723 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
overcross wrote:
Usually a "deal" like this has restrictions. Most likely it's only good for like 1 year or something. Make sure that when you get the next billing statement that the amount charged is correct.
There's a sucker born every minute.