[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
201 upvotes
Joncom wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 3:54 pm
I as well, please and thanks.

@ACC-Major: I'm curious where you heard this?

no idea. must be some miscommunication between me and my mentally challenged source.

Just called in and got on the $17.50 200 minutes, unlimited nights and weekend starting from 6pm.
I couldn't get them to give me a free call display.

Should I call in and try again a few weeks later?

I was wondering, the Caller ID is now $8.79/month. I thought it was only $8.
Aug 1, 2008
238 posts
4 upvotes
from previous experiences would you guys suggest it's better to quote a previous retention ref# and try and get a bit more off of that, or start your negotiating your retention plan from scratch?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1500 posts
49 upvotes
York Region
I have been with Rogers for over 8 years now.
I signed up my hubby - he used his old "dinasour" phone

In fall of 2011 i managed to snap 6gb for $25 - now i would like to share this plan with my hubby's Potential smart phone. He will **never** even use 500mb of data...

Question:
Do you think it would be possible to get him an smart phone at a good price ($99 for Samsung S II perhaps) without an add-on data plan AND to share my 6GB????

I almost got him a Galaxy S in the fall for 0.99 cents with ability to share **my** 6gb data...
But then Rogers said that the offer was NEVER confirmed even though i had a confirmation number (i found out the cancellation of upgrade just because i called for Samsung cell shipment detail - never got to him )

Our Rogers bill is already at $160 (for 2 cell phones and VIP digital cable)...

Guys, would you have any suggestions?

Any comments?
my husband really needs a new phone..... ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Citizen Bmac wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 9:32 am
Has anyone been able to add a second phone to their account through retentions?
see below:

I personally have anyway...for many friends even lol.
hosho wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 1:33 pm
I took over someone else's contract (she was already 2 years in) and then called retention to replicate my actual plan to the new line....

PS: I don't know why people complain of retention being more stingy. I called in recently and got exactly the plan I wanted with the exact amount of credits I needed....
a-this is the only way to get a retention line done right away on a 'new 2nd line'. IE you TOR an eligible line, it is now 'new' to you, but 'old, and otherwise eligible for retention plans', then get lucky with retentions.
b-I doubt you're lying., so this simply means, that there are still some reps out there who are doing good deals. Either you're extremely lucky, or...? I have a friend who got one of my famous retention plans fully renewed December. Of course, maybe it was simply because it was blessed with my touch and a guardian angel was hovering over the call reps shoulders as they processed the call :) .

of course all this is meaningless if you have no clue what a stellar deal is., and getting $15 in credit is 'awesome' for you. for me., it's horrible. Just so we know my standards of excellence.
fredsmith wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 2:08 pm
Rogers is slime, pure and simple. They do not honour their promises. After 26+ years I may pull all four accounts with them.
I strongly support this decision to leave. The more people leave, the quicker they'll start loosening up on policies visavis retentions & improve in-market plans.
ACC-Major wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 2:14 pm
is it true that Rogers have a new policy allowing us to cancel the data portion of the plan after a month?...
did you crawl out from under a rock?
chibsta08 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 1:46 am
Yes, you can cancel your data plan. But they will charge you an early data termination fee, it's calculated based on how far you're into the contract.
same question.

Rogers Policy on cancellations as of Jan22 renewals or activations is:
Voice Penalty $12.50 FLAT RATE
Data Penalty ENTIRE SUBSIDY, prorated over your term. So if you got a $500 subsidy on an iPhone, your penalty is $500+($50IIRC) the next month.
edkate wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 10:30 am
Question:
Do you think it would be possible to get him an smart phone at a good price ($99 for Samsung S II perhaps) without an add-on data plan AND to share my 6GB???? ....
Any comments?
my husband really needs a new phone..... ;)
a-a retention rep will need to feel compelled to do a hup on your line, renew your data term, and make it sharable. You absolutely cannot hup a smartphone @ promo price, WITHOUT a data add-on. Though I have done it in past. The rep had to auto-credit the DECF on 'said husbands' line, and add the data term on the other line on the account. Kinda backwards., and I didn't care how it was done as long as the customer was happy. Bill look like kak.

b-about comments:...yeah, husband who know not how to use+500mb, nor negotiate with Rogers, needs to be dropped like a hot potato. :razz:
PayTM - $70
PC OPT: $3953 Ebates: $59.70
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day
Jun 1, 2002
507 posts
50 upvotes
I'm about 2 1/2 years into a contract I TOR'ed and believe I'm eligible for a HUP. For some reason the major credits on my plan are still good for another year though (about $20). Do you think I'd be able to sign a one year plan to get a discount on the Lumia 710, and still keep that plan and credits?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Phantom wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 11:49 am
I'm about 2 1/2 years into a contract I TOR'ed and believe I'm eligible for a HUP. For some reason the major credits on my plan are still good for another year though (about $20). Do you think I'd be able to sign a one year plan to get a discount on the Lumia 710, and still keep that plan and credits?

Processing a hup only mandatorily (system enforced) renews the VOICE PLAN term only. Credits, and promos won't be affected. Reps need to manually renew those, which is why one should negotiate that into the renewal ALWAYS., and EXPLICITLY.

*If you have a sexy Rehan&Ryan hawt plan, I suggest you record your convo in case of errors*.
Click Thanks if you love bubble.tea :cheesygri

Just as the above, Reps can manually renew credits ONLY, without renewing the term (not common, but possible), which is why your credits expire after your term ;) . Lucky!

Know what else is awesome? You can have a data 3YR TERM extend PAST your voice contract end date. Not sure what happens if you actually tried cancelling/porting out with a data term intact lol.
PayTM - $70
Apr 30, 2007
897 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Question for all you who are keeping up in this big thread.

Are they still crediting SAF?

If so, was it easy to get?

If not, what have you done to avoid paying the 6.95 business!

Thanks
Mar 8, 2010
77 posts
5 upvotes
yoyogu wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:13 pm
Question for all you who are keeping up in this big thread.

Are they still crediting SAF?

If so, was it easy to get?

If not, what have you done to avoid paying the 6.95 business!

Thanks

If you never got the SAF credit before they will do it for you. If you got it before then they will not b/c they say it is a one time thing
It was easy to get I just asked for it.

You can always negotiate a new plan with the GRRF instead of SAF
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I really want out of Rogers even though I have a very good retentions plan.

The problem is the network or more specific, missed calls that go straight to voice mail without my phone ringing. Previously it was somewhat tolerable as my old Nokia had a blinking light that indicated I had missed a call. Now with my new Samsung there's nothing that shows I missed a call or text at a glance. I missed a call earlier but would never have known about it if I hadn't checked my phone for the time.

My contract expires at the end of 2012. Is it possible to get out of the contract without paying the cancellation fee? But like I said earlier, I'm happy with what I'm currently paying but the plan is useless if I keep missing important calls.

Also, if anyone knows of an App I can get that would make the phone beep or whatever to let me know that I have a missed call.

Thanks in advance.
Mar 8, 2010
77 posts
5 upvotes
2011Blinky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 6:14 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I really want out of Rogers even though I have a very good retentions plan.

The problem is the network or more specific, missed calls that go straight to voice mail without my phone ringing. Previously it was somewhat tolerable as my old Nokia had a blinking light that indicated I had missed a call. Now with my new Samsung there's nothing that shows I missed a call or text at a glance. I missed a call earlier but would never have known about it if I hadn't checked my phone for the time.

My contract expires at the end of 2012. Is it possible to get out of the contract without paying the cancellation fee? But like I said earlier, I'm happy with what I'm currently paying but the plan is useless if I keep missing important calls.

Also, if anyone knows of an App I can get that would make the phone beep or whatever to let me know that I have a missed call.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you can get out of it for free ( no facts to support this claim, someone can correct if im wrong)
I guess you can try to see if roger will give you a free phone with a blinking light? to keep you
There is this app for androids called Missed Call. It blinks your LED, and of course there are settings you can configure.
http://www.androidtapp.com/missed-call/

btw what phone do you have?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2333 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey guys does the $17.50 EPP plan include CID and VM? i knew it included unlimited evenings and weekends form 6pm but never knew it included CID and VM
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2094 posts
791 upvotes
London
Haris wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 11:05 pm
Hey guys does the $17.50 EPP plan include CID and VM? i knew it included unlimited evenings and weekends form 6pm but never knew it included CID and VM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with CID or VM
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Haris wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 11:05 pm
I believe, IRC, the only thing included gratis on that plan is a courtesy reach around...given by you...to Rogers.
2011Blinky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 6:14 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I really want out of Rogers...The problem is the network or more specific, missed n ....

I would have to say, without first having a long-standing & documented history of technical reports & complaints by you to said problem, and only after exhausting all efforts (ruling out something temporary, or your phone?), and the concession by Retentions or perhaps if needed OOP, *could* waive the ECF.

Without that, you can still try it all in one 15min call, but I'm doubtful of anything but you being pointed in the progression flow I suggested.

I'm assuming you want to PORT your number should you leave? If not, sell/dump your plan to someone as a TOR, and start anew elsewhere.

In the interim, ( do you even know which provider has better coverage?? ) You could pick said provider, set up a prepaid line or month2month line and full time CALLFWD your calls to that other number. That way you can see if your missed calls problem is solved by that provider. Better to experiment BEFORE a contract, than bothering with all this only to end up with another provider with the same performance levels LOL.
PayTM - $70
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
DragnMagic wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 8:46 pm
I doubt you can get out of it for free ( no facts to support this claim, someone can correct if im wrong)
I guess you can try to see if roger will give you a free phone with a blinking light? to keep you
There is this app for androids called Missed Call. It blinks your LED, and of course there are settings you can configure.
http://www.androidtapp.com/missed-call/

btw what phone do you have?

I guess it helps to let people know what phone I have. It's a Samsung Focus (Windows Phone) and I googled it to see if there are any apps for missed calls and nada. One would figure, out of 60,000 apps there would be atleast one. Here's one argument in favour of Android.

Anyways, I don't want to do a HUP or sign on for another 3 years on a crappy network (it never used to be this bad) As a last resort I can use my old Nokia for another few months and bail when my ECF comes down a bit more. I also doubt from what I've been reading on this thread so far, that they'll let me keep my credits (about $35 worth)

Thanks for your help though!