Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Feb 15, 2010
99 posts
Markham
Line 1
- 200 Weekday Minutes
- Unlimited Eve/Wknd Mins (Starting at 9pm)
- MY5
- 2500 Call Forwarding Mins
- Conference Calling
- Call Waiting
- 500MB Data Option
- Call Display
- Name Display
- Enhanced Voicemail
- 2500 Sent/Unlimited Received Text Messages
$48.13 + tax

Line 2
- 200 Weekday Minutes
- Unlimited Eve/Wknd Mins (Starting at 6pm)
- Call Forwarding/Call Transfer
$17.88 + tax

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually happy with my plan (meaning I have enough minutes & data usage without going over).

HUP due Oct this year for Line 1 and HUP is ready anytime for Line 2. Would like to get either Galaxy S3 or Note.

What's the cheapest data plan out there or are there shared data plan to be used for the 2 lines?

How do I negotiate to get an even cheaper plan? (p.s. I've been with Rogers 10+ years!)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :)
Sep 12, 2006
295 posts
30 upvotes
I had following plan since last 3 years, expiring in 2 days.

300 mins
100 long distance
Unlimited Incoming
Unlimited weekends
Weekdays free after 5pm
Fav 5 Canada wide
Caller ID / VM
500MB data
Call forwding/transfer
2500 SMS/No MMS

$51 incl taxes.

Now they won't give me the same plan as I have too many rebates and they cannot apply all of them.

Also they are saying that now their cancellation fee is $12.5 instead of $400 starting Jan 2012 for new plans. How can that be? Is that with the flexTAB probably?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4671 posts
484 upvotes
How does one go about getting an early upgrade these days? I called customer service and asked to get an early upgrade cause my phone broke. Was told there is a charge for early upgrade and he can't do anything about it. I told him that I had early upgrades before through retentions. The guy did not want to transfer me to retentions and said it was not possible...

Whats my best course of action to get an early upgrade? The truth is my current phone is really broken.
Jul 25, 2010
480 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
jaguar2010 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 2:58 pm
I had following plan since last 3 years, expiring in 2 days.

300 mins
100 long distance
Unlimited Incoming
Unlimited weekends
Weekdays free after 5pm
Fav 5 Canada wide
Caller ID / VM
500MB data
Call forwding/transfer
2500 SMS/No MMS

$51 incl taxes.

Now they won't give me the same plan as I have too many rebates and they cannot apply all of them.

Also they are saying that now their cancellation fee is $12.5 instead of $400 starting Jan 2012 for new plans. How can that be? Is that with the flexTAB probably?
Yeah, they are not allowed to stack rebates now, so you'll have to decide on the best way to allocate your rebates (for ex. you get 1 for voice, 1 for data etc) and which to keep/loose. Depending on how large your rebates are, you may be able to for example drop a $5 rebate, but increase another rebate by $5 to essentially end up with the same price. Or you can try to ask for additional features that are creditable.

Yes, cancellation fee is now $12.50 + whatever is left on the discount you received when doing HUP instead of the $20/mo up to $400.
Jul 25, 2010
480 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
azncapcom wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 5:49 pm
How does one go about getting an early upgrade these days? I called customer service and asked to get an early upgrade cause my phone broke. Was told there is a charge for early upgrade and he can't do anything about it. I told him that I had early upgrades before through retentions. The guy did not want to transfer me to retentions and said it was not possible...

Whats my best course of action to get an early upgrade? The truth is my current phone is really broken.
If you're under the new flexTab contract, you pay your outstanding amount that was discounted during HUP + $12.50.
If you're on the old contract, you pay $20/mo remaining up to $400.
After your debt is clean, you can upgrade early, with a 3 yr contract renewal.

So no matter what, you have to clear your debt first. You may be able to get monthly or one-time credits due to performing a HUP though, and I believe that's your only option if you're looking to pay less.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45345 posts
3769 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 5:49 pm

If you are eligible for HUP It should be free, In this case It Isn't so then to do a Early Upgrade will be a fee, It depends how many months are left and what not..
But once that's over you can renew your contract back to 3 years and get a HUP with them..

Other then that you can just buy the phone outright so you don't have to deal with a long term contract.. Not sure what you want though.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4671 posts
484 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 6:32 pm
If you are eligible for HUP It should be free, In this case It Isn't so then to do a Early Upgrade will be a fee, It depends how many months are left and what not..
But once that's over you can renew your contract back to 3 years and get a HUP with them..

Other then that you can just buy the phone outright so you don't have to deal with a long term contract.. Not sure what you want though.
HUP is still 2 years into the contract correct? Im 3 months away from the 2 year point. There should be no early upgrade fee at the 2 year point correct? Right now im getting quoted an extra $200 something dollars to do an early HUP... that doesn't make any sense... thats essentially saying that 3 months im paying an extra $200+. Unless they changed the HUP eligibility to more than 2 years now, for a free upgrade?

The best the rep was able to offer was a galaxy s2 for free with a 3 year term... he said i would have to pay $500+ for the S3 with a 3 year term... WTF...

Is retentions still able to waive the early upgrade fee or no? I haven't really dealt with retentions for almost 2 years now.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10646 posts
2871 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
I thought HUP was last 6 months.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jul 25, 2010
480 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
azncapcom wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 7:04 pm
HUP is still 2 years into the contract correct? Im 3 months away from the 2 year point. There should be no early upgrade fee at the 2 year point correct? Right now im getting quoted an extra $200 something dollars to do an early HUP... that doesn't make any sense... thats essentially saying that 3 months im paying an extra $200+. Unless they changed the HUP eligibility to more than 2 years now, for a free upgrade?
It's not 2 yrs anymore. I believe its 30 months.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45345 posts
3769 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 7:04 pm

The best the rep was able to offer was a galaxy s2 for free with a 3 year term... he said i would have to pay $500+ for the S3 with a 3 year term... WTF...

Is retentions still able to waive the early upgrade fee or no? I haven't really dealt with retentions for almost 2 years now.
It MIGHT be 2.5 years.. Not sure...
Jan 24, 2008
31 posts
I have this FAMILY Plan for 2 lines:

400 Shared Weekday Minutes
Unlimited Eve 6pm & Wknd Minutes
LTE 1GB Shared Data
Unlimited Shared Messages
Unlimited Family Calling
Caller ID / Mini VM

Total: 105.18 with tax (Not 100% sure, but will see on next month bill).

In addtion, I went to HUP for Samsung S2 LTE, NOT S3, for only $2.60 per phone in Rogers store today.
(No / Including activation fee and ardware upgrade fee, also there's $19.99 rebate for the phone)

Not the bestest deals, but wantt to share information.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45345 posts
3769 upvotes
Toronto
kawah325 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 8:08 pm

LTE 1GB Shared Data
Unlimited Family Calling
Caller ID / Mini VM

In addtion, I went to HUP for Samsung S2 LTE, NOT S3, for only $2.60 per phone in Rogers store today.
(No / Including activation fee and ardware upgrade fee, also there's $19.99 rebate for the phone)

Warning but LTE 1GB Data will be burned In about 2 days depending on usage but It drains fast.. Watch out for that..
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4671 posts
484 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 7:20 pm
I thought HUP was last 6 months.
DrAcX wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 7:26 pm
It's not 2 yrs anymore. I believe its 30 months.
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 7:30 pm
It MIGHT be 2.5 years.. Not sure...
Wow... 2.5 years now? I guess that means I have no chance to do an early upgrade without fees? Looks like i'll just wait out the contract and switch providers...
kawah325 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 8:08 pm

LTE 1GB Shared Data
Unlimited Family Calling
Caller ID / Mini VM

Customer Service also offered me the same Samsung S2 deal. Not sure whether I want to extend my contract by another 21 months though... (Im 21 months into my 3 year but will have to renew for 3 year).
Also I really want the S3...

Seems like rogers retention is dying these days?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
DrAcX wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 6:29 pm
If you're under the new flexTab contract, you pay your outstanding amount that was discounted during HUP + $12.50.
If you're on the old contract, you pay $20/mo remaining up to $400.
After your debt is clean, you can upgrade early, with a 3 yr contract renewal.

So no matter what, you have to clear your debt first. You may be able to get monthly or one-time credits due to performing a HUP though, and I believe that's your only option if you're looking to pay less.
I just HUP'd to an S3 and asked about this, the guy told me you'd pay the economic inducement plus the early upgrade fee of 20 a month for what's left until you get to 30 months. He said the 12.50 was only if you're going to cancel.

Is he wrong? It doesn't make sense if they want to get customers to sign for another term...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4671 posts
484 upvotes
Does anyone here would want to buy a Galaxy S2 LTE BNIB from rogers for say $400? That way I can just do the HUP to the S2 and use the money i get from selling it and tackling another say $250 to get the S3...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)