Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45420 posts
3798 upvotes
Toronto
aljavi wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 8:00 pm
Questions about HUP

1. I just called to ask about the return policy for HUP, they say I have 15 days to return it, counted since I ordered not when i received (is that true?
2. When I spoke to retention, she told me that the Galaxy S3 wil cost me 159.99 and I will receive a bonus for upgrade $50, but I just read in a paper the I will charged 209.99 - 50 discount, do you know if the $50 discount is for the 159.99 (web price) or the increase the price to 209.99 - $50 to became a 159.99

Does someone has a similar expirience? Thanks for your comments
1. I think It's when you activate your phone after receiving the shipment.. If anything I'd calculate the days that Is required the phone to be shipped also just to be on the safe side.. The phone has to be under 30 minutes of talk time or else you won't be eligible to return It!

What bonus upgrade of $50 are you talking about? Yes that's how It works, The price comes out to be $159.99 AFTER you fill out the online rebate form on the Rogers site for $50.. Basically they do this so they take more money away from you because of paying more money In taxes.

All In all It's $159.99 BUT up front you will have to pay $209.99 + taxes.. Then you'll get $50 rebate/refunded back after filling out the rebate form that Rogers via online. Don't fill out the $50 rebate form right away because If you do you MIGHT not be able to return the phone.
Jan 3, 2012
159 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 8:18 pm
1. I think It's when you activate your phone after receiving the shipment.. If anything I'd calculate the days that Is required the phone to be shipped also just to be on the safe side.. The phone has to be under 30 minutes of talk time or else you won't be eligible to return It!

What bonus upgrade of $50 are you talking about? Yes that's how It works, The price comes out to be $159.99 AFTER you fill out the online rebate form on the Rogers site for $50.. Basically they do this so they take more money away from you because of paying more money In taxes.

All In all It's $159.99 BUT up front you will have to pay $209.99 + taxes.. Then you'll get $50 rebate/refunded back after filling out the rebate form that Rogers via online. Don't fill out the $50 rebate form right away because If you do you MIGHT not be able to return the phone.
thanks for your comments, I just called a Representative. They told me that Rogers counts after I order the phone, it means if it takes 5 business day to ship, that 5 days are included in the 15 days of return policy..
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3074 posts
564 upvotes
aljavi wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 7:09 pm
I got only 5$ discount for data, the $10 is the monthly plan
Yeah, so $25-$5 = $20. The 6GB is $30, so $30-$20 = $10 more because you will most likely lose your $5 data credit. That's what I was referring to.
Jul 18, 2012
1 posts
SCARBOROUGH
aljavi wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 8:00 pm
Questions about HUP

1. I just called to ask about the return policy for HUP, they say I have 15 days to return it, counted since I ordered not when i received (is that true?
2. When I spoke to retention, she told me that the Galaxy S3 wil cost me 159.99 and I will receive a bonus for upgrade $50, but I just read in a paper the I will charged 209.99 - 50 discount, do you know if the $50 discount is for the 159.99 (web price) or the increase the price to 209.99 - $50 to became a 159.99

Does someone has a similar expirience? Thanks for your comments
This happen with my iPhone 4s the mail in rabate should apply to the price that is post on the Rogers website. For me when I got the iPhone 4s 64GB model they told me that the phone would cost me 419.99 and that the mail in rebate woruld get it down to 369.99. So I call in and told them that the price advertise is 369.99 and not 419.99 and that the mail in rebate would get the price to 369.99 she argued with me telling that it was Apple that did this and that they were the one's giving the mail in rebate to offset the price of the phone to 369.99. After a good while I kept telling her that the mail rebate should apply to the price that was advertise online which is 369.99 and she ended up talking to a manager and he said that I was right and the just gave me a credit of 50 on top of the 50 mail in rebate so the phone was 319.99 for me. Hope this help and its not to confusing
Jul 15, 2003
405 posts
133 upvotes
So I just called Rogers as I found the Koodo "Canada-Wide Data Plan" for $50/month was more suitable to my needs than my current $65/month plan from Rogers. I was straight forward and told them I was thinking of switching to a competitor, and the only reason was price, so I asked what they could do. I got put through to retentions, and was basically offered the current 6GB plan, for $5/month less if I signed for 3 years, but that the CID/VM was extra, so back up to the current price point, with all sorts of data I don't need. After some back and forth, the offers kept getting worse, until we got to the point that I told him I wasn't feeling like the "valued customer" that he identified me as at the beginning of the call. He came back with the original offer, but now $10/month off, so still more than Koodo, for stuff I don't need. After I declined that, he told me to go ahead and switch.

Oh well...bye bye Rogers
Feb 15, 2010
99 posts
Markham
aljavi wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 7:12 pm
Because you say.."How much it costs to cancel my wireless service"
You have to say.. "I want to cancel my wireless service"
Good luck!
Haha... I called in again and this time threatened to cancel my wireless service as suggested. My contact will be up 3 yrs next April. With the change of HUP policy of 3 yrs, I can't upgrade my phone now or else I'd be charged with a hefty fee.

So the rep offered me to pay only $17 for the early upgrade fee (as opposed to hundreds as quoted by the rep whom I was speaking with a few days ago) as she would waive the rest plus giving me first month fee. Then I'd have to pay the phone cost plus $35 activation fee.

My plan will pretty much stay untouched as she said I already have the max credit applied (i.e. $10 credit)

- 200 Weekday Minutes
- Unlimited Eve/Wknd Mins (Starting at 6pm)
- MY5
- 2500 Call Forwarding Mins
- CC/CW/CID/VM
- 500MB Data Option
- 2500 Sent/Unlimited Received Text Messages

for $48.13 + tax. So what do you guys think? Should I push for more?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4629 posts
1245 upvotes
aka414 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 11:37 am
Haha... I called in again and this time threatened to cancel my wireless service as suggested. My contact will be up 3 yrs next April. With the change of HUP policy of 3 yrs, I can't upgrade my phone now or else I'd be charged with a hefty fee.

So the rep offered me to pay only $17 for the early upgrade fee (as opposed to hundreds as quoted by the rep whom I was speaking with a few days ago) as she would waive the rest plus giving me first month fee. Then I'd have to pay the phone cost plus $35 activation fee.

My plan will pretty much stay untouched as she said I already have the max credit applied (i.e. $10 credit)

- 200 Weekday Minutes
- Unlimited Eve/Wknd Mins (Starting at 6pm)
- MY5
- 2500 Call Forwarding Mins
- CC/CW/CID/VM
- 500MB Data Option
- 2500 Sent/Unlimited Received Text Messages

for $48.13 + tax. So what do you guys think? Should I push for more?
You can do better. I have (since Sept 2010).

150 Weekday
Unlimited E/W @ 5pm
My5
CID/VM/2500 TXT
6GB
100 Long Distance Minutes

CW & CF-2500mins are standard now. Not sure what CC is.

52.xx + tax.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
210 upvotes
Farm
won't let me switch to the new superplan or else i'll lose my credits, EVEN THOUGH those credits were not applied to my current plan (they were applied to my account for separate issues such as billing, customer service, etc).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1532 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 7:11 pm
Nope.. Not true at all. What they're doing Is tricking you Into getting a phone first therefore you HUP'ed and renewed back to 3 years.. After that's all set In done they're going to let you hang dry In heat..
I did the opposite and It's the best and safest method of getting a good plan.. Negotiate your plan first with all the discounts/features you ideally want and when you are comfortable with what you are playing and Is willing to renew back to 3 years after getting a HUP Is when you should go and get the phone upgrade.

Majority of the people who are currently In contract and ask for discounts/credits get little to nothing because Rogers knows you're locked already with them so they don't care about you anymore!
Thanks for the reply! Not sure if this will work. What if I return the phone that they shipped to me (un-opened). Will they still charge me the penalty? I just want the plan not the phone they tried to push to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
210 upvotes
Farm
i called on behalf of my friend, who was paying $67 for 500mb of data, 150minutes and all this crap.

now he's paying $67 for the new superplan and they added caller id as well.

$5 off on the superplan
50% off on the caller ID

they did not extend his contract, so this is valid for the next year. the rep said to call back when he does HUP to extend the credits. gave me a case #

#notbad
Oct 16, 2011
109 posts
13 upvotes
BenK wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 12:19 pm
You can do better. I have (since Sept 2010).

150 Weekday
Unlimited E/W @ 5pm
My5
CID/VM/2500 TXT
6GB
100 Long Distance Minutes

CW & CF-2500mins are standard now. Not sure what CC is.

52.xx + tax.
Doubt you would be able to get the same plan now. You likely have more than one credit stacked on your account.

@aka: I'd take that plan, especially if they're letting you get a HUP for $17 and you're not within the eligibility period. Ask if they have the 6G for $30 available somehow (which they probably won't) and then get them to put in the notes that when you can put the 6GB for $30 on in the fall, that they will increase your credit to $15 monthly.
Jan 17, 2007
79 posts
15 upvotes
I just re-signed my contract and took the 6GB super plan they were offering.
I was able to get voicemail & caller ID added on as well.

My total after taxes is $58.76.
Nov 8, 2007
606 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
r i c h wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 3:00 pm
I just re-signed my contract and took the 6GB super plan they were offering.
I was able to get voicemail & caller ID added on as well.

My total after taxes is $58.76.
What credits did they give you?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45420 posts
3798 upvotes
Toronto
hOrnizuka wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 1:33 pm
Thanks for the reply! Not sure if this will work. What if I return the phone that they shipped to me (un-opened). Will they still charge me the penalty? I just want the plan not the phone they tried to push to me.
What penalty? If I recall correctly you can just take a plan and not HUP to a phone. If anything you can sell that phone since you got It at a contract discount right? You can make a bit of profit off that. No point In returning the phone I would think..
Either use the phone or sell It since you like the contract plan?
Jan 17, 2007
79 posts
15 upvotes
Phouma wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 3:43 pm
What credits did they give you?
The rep gave me $15 credit on the plan.
The voicemail and caller ID was an additional $7. I'm not sure what the regular price of this is.