[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10640 posts
2864 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
seekay wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 1:29 pm
Ha! I called again today...and some lady at retentions told me that they have been instructed to not give any additional discounts to the 6gb Superplan...which we all know is complete BS considering I was offered a $10 on it yesterday.

Looks like I'll keep trying or take my business elsewhere
Why keep trying? The competitors are superior plans.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
1219 posts
2 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 1:32 pm
Why keep trying? The competitors are superior plans.
I figure being a long-term customer with multiple devices attached to the account may give me better bargaining power. We'll see what happens. I'm not in a rush to get a new phone, but it would be fun to play around with the S3. I might just let my contract run out and then start demanding for certain things.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
210 upvotes
Farm
seekay wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 1:29 pm
Ha! I called again today...and some lady at retentions told me that they have been instructed to not give any additional discounts to the 6gb Superplan...which we all know is complete BS considering I was offered a $10 on it yesterday.

Looks like I'll keep trying or take my business elsewhere
interesting.. i had someone from rogers put notes on my account to allow me to switch to the 6GB and keep my credits.

let's see how this works out :razz:
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2983 posts
1806 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
when you call in, you now get an option to "cancel your services", then a guy answers with "Hi, this is John at Customer Relations, how can I help you"

Do you think this is actually customer relations or a ruse.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10640 posts
2864 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
raskal wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 3:46 pm
when you call in, you now get an option to "cancel your services", then a guy answers with "Hi, this is John at Customer Relations, how can I help you"

Do you think this is actually customer relations or a ruse.
It's them. They often answer the phone instead of regular CSR's. The system will also automatically route calls to them depending on your acct status, how often you call in, etc.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
1076 posts
38 upvotes
DDAYF50 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 8:13 am
Does anyone know if these magic words are still valid?? I was skimming through one of the first post and came across this
They work. Sometimes they throw in a little something special if you try saying two of the magic words one after another.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2983 posts
1806 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
ceredon wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 3:57 pm
It's them. They often answer the phone instead of regular CSR's. The system will also automatically route calls to them depending on your acct status, how often you call in, etc.
thanks

I didn't get anywhere unfortunately though.

I don't need data, but they weren't offering much in the way of phones. eg: a BB9300 for $109 (after $50 rebate and $35 fee). I could do a Neon for $35 but kinda crappy when I can walk into a store and get a much better deal

I have 4 lines with them, but 3 have expired. Telus has decent promotional plans right now
Jun 12, 2009
227 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I got a call from Roger today and asked to rate Roger's service and I gave two out five. Then she started to offer me some discount and phone I could be eligible to upgrade. So I took galaxy s2 for $0 and with one year and half contract extension.
Did this happen to anyone?
Jul 21, 2012
15 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
UberN00b wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 4:01 pm
They work. Sometimes they throw in a little something special if you try saying two of the magic words one after another.
Can you please elaborate on how or where shall I say these words? Because in all honesty, I don't see how it would work lol.... Is it only the retention department that knows of these works or any customer representative. I would like to know the process so I can try to record the convo and post it for you guys.
Mar 18, 2008
459 posts
116 upvotes
My god I can't wait to leave this company. Just tried calling to negotiate something and the rep who picked up just made me want to cancel instead.

Conversation when something like

Me: How much is it to cancel if I cancelled right now. On hold for 10 mins
Rep: I don't know because you aren't actually cancelling
Me: So you can't tell me how much it costs unless I actually cancel? What is your cancellation policy anyway
Rep: It's $50 a month
Me: what?
Rep: umm it's $400
Me: so $400?
Rep: Well it depends
Me: Can you just transfer me to retentions
Rep: Oh why?
Me: I think I'm paying too much for what I get. I see a lot of other people getting more for the same price
Rep: I can try to help you
Me: Just transfer to me retentions please
Rep: Just one moment and hold for another 10 mins
Rep: Sorry I tried to get a hold of an agent but I can't. I'll create a case for somebody to call you back.

20 mins total hold time for them to answer how much it is to cancel and to attempt to transfer me. For ***** sakes.

***** you
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3484 posts
487 upvotes
Markham
winson82 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 7:51 pm
My god I can't wait to leave this company. Just tried calling to negotiate something and the rep who picked up just made me want to cancel instead.

Conversation when something like

Me: How much is it to cancel if I cancelled right now. On hold for 10 mins
Rep: I don't know because you aren't actually cancelling
Me: So you can't tell me how much it costs unless I actually cancel? What is your cancellation policy anyway
Rep: It's $50 a month
Me: what?
Rep: umm it's $400
Me: so $400?
Rep: Well it depends
Me: Can you just transfer me to retentions
Rep: Oh why?
Me: I think I'm paying too much for what I get. I see a lot of other people getting more for the same price
Rep: I can try to help you
Me: Just transfer to me retentions please
Rep: Just one moment and hold for another 10 mins
Rep: Sorry I tried to get a hold of an agent but I can't. I'll create a case for somebody to call you back.

20 mins total hold time for them to answer how much it is to cancel and to attempt to transfer me. For ***** sakes.

***** you
Did you use those magic words? Because asking "retention", you might as well have.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10640 posts
2864 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
DDAYF50 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 7:49 pm
Can you please elaborate on how or where shall I say these words? Because in all honesty, I don't see how it would work lol.... Is it only the retention department that knows of these works or any customer representative. I would like to know the process so I can try to record the convo and post it for you guys.
It used to be retentions only, but over the last couple years they have opened it to all CSR's.

It is actually quite simple, much more so than I initially thought. I mentioned before that they have 'stop' words. Once you start saying the words, they stop you as soon as they can. I think their stop word for 2012 is "Olympics'. Anyhow, the goal is to get as many of the magic words in as possible before they say they stop word. If you are really lucky, you get a rep that is new and they take a few seconds to catch on. The more experienced ones know as soon as they hear even a single magic word, they immediately blurt out their stop word. So, the best method I had found is to have the magic words written out. I practice a couple minutes before I call so I can rapid fire them as quickly as possible. A couple of them are real mouthfuls so practice really helps. Then I call in and as soon as I hear a real person, I let them have it. Just bang bang bang and I am in before they even know what hit them.

The magic words were introduced years ago to alleviate the stress of dealing with us deal seekers. It makes it fun for both parties and sort of breaks the ice. They don't have to play games with us in trying to get more and we don't have to stress with dealing with negotiations as much. My plan is fantastic and I can thank the magic words for what I have. Just remember to speak quickly but clearly. They need to hear every word clearly.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1302 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
Do you say them as soon as they have asked for your name, DoB and postal code or can you say it anytime?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10640 posts
2864 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 9:39 pm
Wow ceredon.. Never knew there was something like that..
Depends. I have heard some reps will try to squirm out of honouring the words if you haven't ID'd yourself. They just hang up and since there is no real record of you calling, they can challenge it. I had to speak to a manager once when the rep tried to pull a fast one. As soon as the manager got on, I basically screamed the words at her. She apologized and I got my features.

Whether you ID first or just get right into it is up to you. The downside to waiting is that you've given them a chance to get their bearings and they are more likely to be quick with the stop word. The downside to doing it immediately is they might hang up.