Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Makaveli_99 wrote: just got off with rogers retention. My contract expires in 2.5 weeks. Any suggestions on if there is anything better? I really only need 1GB data

They offered me:
$50/month - 1GB data, unlimited everything else (texting, calling canada wide), call display, voice mail, etc.
$40/month - 400 MB data, unlimited everything else (texting, calling canada wide), call display, voice mail, etc.

Fido:
$44/month - 750MB data, 750mins, unlimited text, voice mail, call display etc.
OR Zoomer Wireless $36 for 400 Canada Wide minutes and 1GB LTE data. Zoomer is s reseller on Rogers network.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Apr 16, 2008
543 posts
566 upvotes
New Zoomer customer here, Rogers wanted $112.50 for 2 lines with 2 gb of shared data. I was willing to take it with a phone upgrade, but they severely limit the selection of phones ("Smart Picks"). Not a very smart pick for $40 more per month. For $40 less a month, I can get the family plan on Zoomer and use the savings for an unlocked phone down the line. $72 for 600 minutes daytime, unl evenings and weekends, unl messaging and 2gb of shared data. Happy with the decision.
Dec 2, 2007
31 posts
5 upvotes
Oakville
Has ported from Rogers to Cityfone / Zoomer wireless for about a month. Same network, same coverage. No more retention hassle.
Sep 25, 2006
650 posts
92 upvotes
St. Lawrence, Toront…
I think we can change the thread title to "Zoomer Wireless Conversion Superthread" now.
Dec 2, 2007
31 posts
5 upvotes
Oakville
slicecom wrote: I think we can change the thread title to "Zoomer Wireless Conversion Superthread" now.
For those who need 6G+ data plan, Rogers is still the only choice. Otherwise, Zoomer Wireless is the way to go.
Aug 21, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
I have a sweetheart retention plan from rogers that I've had for some time now. It's pretty much the zoomer wireless $54 smartphone plan but instead of canada wide calling, i have 6 gigs of data all for $58 a month. Don't even ask how i got this because they don't even like it, and are trying to push me to upgrade to a new plan, promising to give me a new note 4 for $150 ($50 credit, whoopeee), meanwhile putting me on a new 2 year term at $110 a month. I would be paying for the EXACT SAME plan as well. That means that I'm paying about $1400 more in 24 months.

So basically rogers is trying to sell me the note 4 for $1400. Well guess what I could probably find a note 4 for 700 right now if i look hard enough. Thats a $700 in savings right there. I'm really getting sick of rogers trying to screw over their long time customers with their greedy schemes.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
slicecom wrote: I think we can change the thread title to "Zoomer Wireless Conversion Superthread" now.
lol
Dec 8, 2013
62 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
With Zoomer, are your data usage and minutes good for outside your home area without any surcharge?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
alimcmillan wrote: With Zoomer, are your data usage and minutes good for outside your home area without any surcharge?
No extra charge as long as you are connected to Rogers network. In Canada, Rogers does not have roaming arrangement with Bell or Telus. Therefore, you either get Rogers signal or none in Canada. Be careful when you visiting towns near US border. Set your phone to disable roaming. You will be safe.
Dec 8, 2013
62 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: No extra charge as long as you are connected to Rogers network. In Canada, Rogers does not have roaming arrangement with Bell or Telus. Therefore, you either get Rogers signal or none in Canada. Be careful when you visiting towns near US border. Set your phone to disable roaming. You will be safe.
Thanks, that is helpful! Definitely will be inclined to switch once my contract is up in a few months. Also makes it a good reference point in bargaining with retentions, since it's the same network, without the coverage issues and out-of-area fees like Wind.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
alimcmillan wrote: Thanks, that is helpful! Definitely will be inclined to switch once my contract is up in a few months. Also makes it a good reference point in bargaining with retentions, since it's the same network, without the coverage issues and out-of-area fees like Wind.
The double minutes/data promo ends Jan 31, 2015. After that you get only 200 minutes/500MB LTE data for $36.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
I need some advice, so being December etc I did not look closely to my accounts data usage (we have 4 numbers).

Long story short I went like 900mb over and according to rogers, because my plan is grandfathered, it's $0.5/mb...which leaves me a bill of $450...which is crazy. I was fine with the roaming charges that I had to pay when I was abroad(like 1k+) but charging $0.5 per mb locally seems excessive.

And I thought there was a maximum of $50 or something, but I was informed that was changed a while ago to $500 (so close!!).

The CSR said if I switch to the much more expensive share everything plan they will forget about this bill. But no thanks, my current plan will save me a lot more in the long run.

Any defense/strategy to make this go away (or most of it anyway) for my next call?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
WellHung wrote: I need some advice, so being December etc I did not look closely to my accounts data usage (we have 4 numbers).

Long story short I went like 900mb over and according to rogers, because my plan is grandfathered, it's $0.5/mb...which leaves me a bill of $450...which is crazy. I was fine with the roaming charges that I had to pay when I was abroad(like 1k+) but charging $0.5 per mb locally seems excessive.

And I thought there was a maximum of $50 or something, but I was informed that was changed a while ago to $500 (so close!!).

The CSR said if I switch to the much more expensive share everything plan they will forget about this bill. But no thanks, my current plan will save me a lot more in the long run.

Any defense/strategy to make this go away (or most of it anyway) for my next call?

Thanks
$450 for 900MB data is highway robber.
Zoomer charges 2 cents per 1MB data.
I don't have any advise on how to deal with Rogers. You may file a complaint with CCTS. Early last year, when I filed a complaint with CCTS on 30 days charge for dead air. OOP called me. I had enough with Rogers and gradually ported my numbers out.
Oct 18, 2012
8 posts
I think what has caused so much distress to people on this thread is that the cell companies are wising up and realizing that most people don't care about cell minutes anymore, they care about data. In the past, they would offer tons of data but limited cell minutes with zone restrictions because they saw the cell minutes, long distance even texting as what they could use to upsell. Now everyone wants data so they have cut that back and are charging a premium for anything over about 1GB/month while forcing people who want lots of data to also get Unlimited cell plans they don't necessarily need.

Personally, when my 200min/6GB plan with Rogers is up next year, I will very likely be moving to a tablet data only plan. I use virtually none of the cell minutes my plan provides and VOIP apps get better every day. Fido and Rogers both sell tiered data plans that are substantially cheaper than anything they offer in the data + voice area.
Dec 24, 2009
183 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
i just got off live chat with rogers and i was shocked to find out that i'm able to keep my plan and make a hardware upgrade to the iphone 6. i just have to pay the upgrade fee ($116) + the $375 for the iphone 6 64gb

not bad
Oct 18, 2012
8 posts
cod2 wrote: i just got off live chat with rogers and i was shocked to find out that i'm able to keep my plan and make a hardware upgrade to the iphone 6. i just have to pay the upgrade fee ($116) + the $375 for the iphone 6 64gb

not bad
How much is your plan?
Dec 24, 2009
183 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
yawgmoth wrote: How much is your plan?
I have a $60 corporate plan that gives me 3gb data, unlimited voice, vvm, cid, etc

I was fully expecting them to tell me I had to switch to one of those new share plans
Oct 18, 2012
8 posts
cod2 wrote: I have a $60 corporate plan that gives me 3gb data, unlimited voice, vvm, cid, etc

I was fully expecting them to tell me I had to switch to one of those new share plans
My sense is that they treat corporate plans a little differently, there are some people on here that have gotten better offers because of that. I believe if you're not corp you have to have an $80+ per month plan to get the iPhone 6 on a HUP, just like Fido and their Max plans. For the average person, latest iPhone HUP is dead at Rogers/Fido because it's not worth it anymore. I've done the math at Fido and it's actually cheaper to buy your own iPhone 6 from Apple and BYOD than buy it from them on a 2-year plan. It's even worse at Rogers because they have higher prices.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1908 upvotes
Moon
has anyone used chatr and their 20 dollar plans? planning to switching my parents to them soon.
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
kangarooz wrote: has anyone used chatr and their 20 dollar plans? planning to switching my parents to them soon.
Never used chatr but that's another Rogers network reseller (also owned by Rogers as well).