Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Virgin only offering 150mb data on platinum plans. Hahhahahahahahahahaha, wtf... next. However, the GOLD plans are better than rogers.

$45 gold plan - all minutes canada wide - day and eve/we, rogers doesnt have it at that price point
$60 gold plan - unlimited minutes 24-7, canada wide, rogers doesnt have this either at this price point. They have the $63 plan which is equivalent BUT doesnt apply to iphone 5 which sucks.

So to get equivalent to virgin at rogers you must get the $100 plan unlimited wide and 6gb data. But i see peeps get this for less than half the price in retentions for $45 which I cant get - that sucks!! Give me this plus $5 value pack iphone and i sign today, point blank! $50/mo. + tax.

That means 1st mos free, next 6 mos 50% off, less 12% mpd, + $5 value pack iphone = $31.08, then 7th month on $45 less 12% plus value pack iphone = $50.40

But does rogers give a crap?? Of course they dont. One rep even told me to goto the competition cause they cant compete! WTF, lolz.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11507 posts
2923 upvotes
GTA
aznnorth wrote:
May 19th, 2013 8:25 am
But does rogers give a crap?? Of course they dont. One rep even told me to goto the competition cause they cant compete! WTF, lolz.
Someone at Rogers would surely give a crap, esp some VP that's in charge of retaining paying customers and esp if you're going to Bell/Telus. If they knew that their reps were telling people to jump ship, they'd be livid.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10647 posts
2874 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Hugh Jass wrote:
May 19th, 2013 10:03 am
Someone at Rogers would surely give a crap, esp some VP that's in charge of retaining paying customers and esp if you're going to Bell/Telus. If they knew that their reps were telling people to jump ship, they'd be livid.
Under Nadir, they made a business decision to de-emphasize Retentions. The idea being to either force low ARPU customers into higher revenue plans or allow them to go elsewhere. This has been the case since the end of 2010. They are now willing to call your bluff and if you leave, then you leave. It was an educated gamble and honestly, it seems to have paid off in many ways. People are accepting the inferior plans making their gamble appear to be a successful one.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1232 posts
34 upvotes
Called in last month and changed the old plan cause some discounts were falling off before the end of the contract. Somehow I ended up with some extra discounts that don't seem to expire (it might have been a promo discount on a retail plan and in addition, I got a retention discount on top of that when changing to the retail plan). The problem is the retention discount only lasts 2 years and I obviously want to a do a HUP at the end of the contract (they also offered a discount for early HUP but I didn't take it at the time).

1. For anyone taking their current deals, how long do your discounts stay on for?
2. If I simply ask for a 3-year renewal on the discount on the same plan, will that change the plan in any way?

Now that the price for the plan is in my favour, I'm reluctant on calling in and someone "correcting" it.
Jan 24, 2010
171 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
flyordrive wrote:
May 17th, 2013 12:04 pm
Without a doubt you could do better. One problem (big problem) is you showed your hand with the desire to HUP and even told them the phone you wanted. Definitely damaged your negot' power.
Lucky for you, at least you're only a month away (not 10 or 12) from the end of your contract.
Focus on better data, the features that you require and then mins. Don't go there with phone until you have the plan that meets your needs.
You'll get there IF you read up on tutorial and recent pages of thread! ;-)
Cheers
Thanks for your advice. I read through the tutorials in the front page after, and more or less used the same tactics as mentioned above.

I usually ask how their day was during the initial contact stage when the rep is verifying me. Then say I would like to cancel my plan.. And they would ask how come? And I would voice that I am a student on budget, and that I found another service provider that offers a plan more to my liking. (Fido), I know they are sister companies and operate under one big corporation, but I was being honest with them about it. Part of negotiating what I want is that I remain calm compared to how I was before, where I would threaten to leave and ask for their manager if things go south... But the latter approach seem to get what I wanted last time around.

Before I call retentions again, would threatening to cancel even after the rep gave me the offer go anywhere? Or are you playing with fire here, and better off hanging up. Also I will use virgin mobile's plan this time around to bargain

Anyways, appreciate the comments / tips in advance.
Jan 20, 2007
74 posts
6 upvotes
flyordrive wrote:
Mar 11th, 2013 9:43 pm
I'm thinking for those of us who still have 6GB and a fairly decent plan it may be better to KEEP the plan WITH 6GB and swap for features we may want for features we don't find value in as much anymore. (Swap in IPhone Value Pack, swap out Call Mgr. Both are valued at $5)
Why? Overage charges: Rogers is desperately trying to reduce cust data pkg's from 6GB down to 1GB or 3GB max. Customers with older non-LTE phones and cust who currently haven't utilized tethering (especially with LTE devices have YET to experience a big change in data use.) A Ret Rep did admit that 3GB would probably not be enough data if I were to use an IPhone 5 to tether to a tablet or laptop.

I'd either buy a phone outright and keep my my 6GB plan (with swaps/adjustments or try wind out yourself for a while (but keep some kind of Rogers plan to retain your tenure.)
This is what I got offered.

55+ tax

Canada wide long distance
- vm CID and unlimited txt, pic and vid MSG. Canada wide
2 gb data.

What do you think of this plan . I think it should be around 45$
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
71 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
patpritesh wrote:
May 19th, 2013 1:44 pm

55+ tax

2 gb data.

Not $45, a couple months ago it would be for $50 is you were lucky.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1481 posts
177 upvotes
igotskill wrote:
May 19th, 2013 2:04 pm
Not $45, a couple months ago it would be for $50 is you were lucky.
The lucky ones were getting this plan for 43 dollars. 63 - 20 = 43.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.

On Koodo. 8gb, unlimited talk, text, 1000ld minutes. $45.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
patpritesh wrote:
May 19th, 2013 1:44 pm

55+ tax

2 gb data.

Mehhh.. they are just giving you the current $63 retail plan (doesnt apply to the iphone) on new activation. That's a new line anyone can get who currently have other existing services with rogers. $63 less 12% mpd = $55 + tx. You didnt win anything. Add on the value pack it's now 60 + tx. Basically you save the tax less a few dimes. Did retentions give you this? Rip-off. Now if they gave you a 10 credit for remainder of term that's more reasonable. 63 - 10 - less 12% mpd + 5 valu pack = $51+tx
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
5517 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough
aznnorth wrote:
May 19th, 2013 8:25 am
Virgin only offering 150mb data on platinum plans. Hahhahahahahahahahaha, wtf... next. However, the GOLD plans are better than rogers.

$45 gold plan - all minutes canada wide - day and eve/we, rogers doesnt have it at that price point
$60 gold plan - unlimited minutes 24-7, canada wide, rogers doesnt have this either at this price point. They have the $63 plan which is equivalent BUT doesnt apply to iphone 5 which sucks.

So to get equivalent to virgin at rogers you must get the $100 plan unlimited wide and 6gb data. But i see peeps get this for less than half the price in retentions for $45 which I cant get - that sucks!! Give me this plus $5 value pack iphone and i sign today, point blank! $50/mo. + tax.

That means 1st mos free, next 6 mos 50% off, less 12% mpd, + $5 value pack iphone = $31.08, then 7th month on $45 less 12% plus value pack iphone = $50.40

It's doubtful your going to find anyone with Unlimited Nationwide Calling + Max Data 5Gb or Higher in Ontario for less then $80 a month.

Who do you see getting that for only $45 + tax a month? Sheepdog is not a valid comparison as he lives in AB/SK and their base Unlimited 5GB plan is only $60 to start with compared to $100 in Ontario.
Core i5 6500 SL|GB Z170-UD3|2x8Gb DDR4-3000|eVGA GF GTX 1070 8GB SC|eVGA SN750 P2|Antec P183|LG WH14NS40|Intel 730 480GB SSD|WD 256GB SSD|Hitachi 500GB|SG 500GB|SS 1TB|SoundBlaster Z|Logitech Z-5500|Dell 3007WFP-HC|Logitech G500|Logitech G510
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1481 posts
177 upvotes
coldpower27 wrote:
May 19th, 2013 6:05 pm
It's doubtful your going to find anyone with Unlimited Nationwide Calling + Max Data 5Gb or Higher in Ontario for less then $80 a month.

Who do you see getting that for only $45 + tax a month? Sheepdog is not a valid comparison as he lives in AB/SK and their base Unlimited 5GB plan is only $60 to start with compared to $100 in Ontario.
In Ontario you have guys like wind and mobilicity offering 35 dollars unlimited plans, which include unlimited data. Sure they might not have the best coverage but they are small start ups that simply need more capital to get going and build more towers so their coverage improves. Rogers reason for wanting to raise prices is simply they are greedy.

If you fight hard you can get a cheaper plan here. I am paying 20 dollars less than even the cheapest value carrier in SK and what it takes is negotiation. I have heard all the BS excuses. Your plan can get any more credits because it is so discounted already. We can only give 5 dollars in credits. We can only give 10 dollar in credits. We can only give you 15 dollars in credits. Everything I had to wade through were a mountain of lies on Rogers behalf to arrive at my price plan.

Compared to Saskatchewan it should be way cheaper to get the cell phone infrastructure up in Ontario. This is because the population density is way way higher and you get more people per tower to pay for coverage.

Hell Thunderbay, Ont Bell and telus and virgin were offering a 50 dollar 6gb, my ten with everything including the bell and whistles. A good 50 dollar plan is definitely possible, but Rogers wants to increase the average price plan further and further.

The big three are teaming up together to rip customers off. However I find Rogers the most shady because they pose as regular people on these forums and coax them into taking raw deals.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.

On Koodo. 8gb, unlimited talk, text, 1000ld minutes. $45.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
sheepdogexpress wrote:
May 19th, 2013 6:22 pm
In Ontario you have guys like wind and mobilicity offering 35 dollars unlimited plans, which include unlimited data. Sure they might not have the best coverage but they are small start ups that simply need more capital to get going and build more towers so their coverage improves. Rogers reason for wanting to raise prices is simply they are greedy.

If you fight hard you can get a cheaper plan here. I am paying 20 dollars less than even the cheapest value carrier in SK and what it takes is negotiation. I have heard all the BS excuses. Your plan can get any more credits because it is so discounted already. We can only give 5 dollars in credits. We can only give 10 dollar in credits. We can only give you 15 dollars in credits. Everything I had to wade through were a mountain of lies on Rogers behalf to arrive at my price plan.

Compared to Saskatchewan it should be way cheaper to get the cell phone infrastructure up in Ontario. This is because the population density is way way higher and you get more people per tower to pay for coverage.

Hell Thunderbay, Ont Bell and telus and virgin were offering a 50 dollar 6gb, my ten with everything including the bell and whistles. A good 50 dollar plan is definitely possible, but Rogers wants to increase the average price plan further and further.

The big three are teaming up together to rip customers off. However I find Rogers the most shady because they pose as regular people on these forums and coax them into taking raw deals.
+1

BOOM! Point blank period. They generate the most revenue in ontario yet give the highest price?? Does that even make sense?? You think more inelastic areas like the west would have the higher prices and with elastic demand amongst high users in ontario would generate enuff revenue. Agreed, Robbers in ontario is greedy. Shakespeare's time they wud be called usury. 40% more for the same damn plan in Ontario and 50% more vs telus and virgin, wtf...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2771 posts
510 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Do the retentions people work on holidays? I was thinking of calling tomorrow but I won't bother if no retentions people are there.
Jan 4, 2007
348 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
I phoned in today to confirm when my contract is up. Been with Rogers for 16 years. Nicely told the csr that I had picked up a Wind brochure and was thinking of switching because of the $40 deal they had. She hooked me up with Retentions right away.
Had a good chat with the Retention rep who recognized my tenure using Rogers. Found out that my 6GB data on my iPhone4 will stay in place after my contract is up.
Jun 21, 2007
886 posts
143 upvotes
Milton, ON
Macross_Freek wrote:
May 19th, 2013 11:10 am
Called in last month and changed the old plan cause some discounts were falling off before the end of the contract. Somehow I ended up with some extra discounts that don't seem to expire (it might have been a promo discount on a retail plan and in addition, I got a retention discount on top of that when changing to the retail plan). The problem is the retention discount only lasts 2 years and I obviously want to a do a HUP at the end of the contract (they also offered a discount for early HUP but I didn't take it at the time).

1. For anyone taking their current deals, how long do your discounts stay on for?
2. If I simply ask for a 3-year renewal on the discount on the same plan, will that change the plan in any way?

Now that the price for the plan is in my favour, I'm reluctant on calling in and someone "correcting" it.
When you go for your HUP make sure they extend the credits before you do HUP. Last time around I got credits for 3 years and did a HUP after 2. A HUP forces you to take a new 3 year contract. So 1 year into my new contract the credits expired and retentions would not renew them. It took another year for me to get credits back.