Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Banned
User avatar
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
heyyoudvd wrote: If I'm getting rid of credits, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a good package to begin with? I mean, if I have to spend more anyways, what's the advantage of keeping my current plan?

Regarding the $60 minimum, what exactly does it refer to? I mean, is it referring to the net price that the customer pays? Is it referring to the wireless price excluding credits? Is it referring to just the plan (ie. does my $12.79 CID/VM add-on count)? What has to be above $60 for there to be upgrade eligibility?
Because you can get the plan you have for only 60 and an upgrade. All the new plans are much higher than 60. Paying 60 for what you currently have is not bad, if you switch and want the same plan it will be 90+. You have to ask Rogers if value pack is included in minimum number. I was told by corporate in which it's 45 minimum that extras don't count but call display etc is always included in corp plans.
Member
Jan 23, 2011
406 posts
288 upvotes
eddiewf wrote: So after a year of my 3 year contract my 12 month promos (discounts which I had agreed to when negotiating my 3 year contract) have expired. This has happened before and I haven't had much trouble getting them reapplied. Although my bill has gone from $55 all the way up to $76 which is absolute garbage. My first few retentions reps were absolute dicks as well, and treated me as if I'm a new signup that deserves to get shafted with basic pricing. Pretty angry right now but will continue trying new retentions reps. It's been helpful seeing some plans currently being offered to other people on the forum here.

Anyone have any suggestions to help me along the way? If I kept getting shafted with each retention rep (maybe 10 or more unsuccessful calls) I would seriously consider cancelling my contract despite having 2 years left. Utter BS by Robbers
Let me get this straight, you signed a 3 year agreement with promos that expired after 12 months and now you're raging because they won't extend them?

I know there is a lot of hate on for rogers, but why would they extend your promo discounts when you've still got 2 years left on contract? What's in it for them? Unless you're just angry that 'being nice' isn't official policy for a giant corporation? :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
18624 posts
1944 upvotes
RedFoxComp wrote: Let me get this straight, you signed a 3 year agreement with promos that expired after 12 months and now you're raging because they won't extend them?

I know there is a lot of hate on for rogers, but why would they extend your promo discounts when you've still got 2 years left on contract? What's in it for them? Unless you're just angry that 'being nice' isn't official policy for a giant corporation? :)
I'm sure the rep who gave him the credits said something like, "you can call back in a year to extend the credit". I know a rep told me that before but I managed to get it applied for 3 years with another rep.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2013
110 posts
14 upvotes
Premium wrote: I've looked around and found Smart Picks like you said.

I have a Rogers prepaid plan (a unique # that I have kept for years) and they send me an email that they are offering to take $5 off if I join their monthly plan (just for my phone #). I am thinking of the $50 plan and get 10% off with my device and then another $10 for student off. Which should brings me down to $31.50 + tax. Logically, do you think it's possible to get the plan for $31.50+tax? I mean, I did that math, etc.
Im thinking around the same thing, to get their $50 plan and 10% off + $10 off for students. Which should bring me to about $40 after tax since I don't have the $5 off credit like you do. However, the one thing I'm a bit concern with is the limit of data.

And personally I would want a bit more minutes.
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2008
120 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
rsxmachine wrote: Because you can get the plan you have for only 60 and an upgrade. All the new plans are much higher than 60. Paying 60 for what you currently have is not bad, if you switch and want the same plan it will be 90+. You have to ask Rogers if value pack is included in minimum number. I was told by corporate in which it's 45 minimum that extras don't count but call display etc is always included in corp plans.
That's an interesting point, but keep in mind that I currently only have 200 minutes on my plan, whereas the ones being offered are unlimited. That seems like a pretty nice improvement, as it means I'll be able to get rid of my home phone. The plan I was offered was $69 after tax, and the only real drawback was the drop from 6 to 2 gigs. I'll be paying $15 more, but I'll be getting unlimited Canada-wide calling, and I'll be going from 100 SMS to unlimited SMS and MMS. Do you really think it's a bad idea to make this switch?
Banned
User avatar
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
Eh.. who cares about unlimited Rogers minutes. If you have 6gb you essentially have unlimited, just install fongo, magic jack, vonage, google voice. There you get free unlimited North America voice and text over VoIP. Fongo gives you a Canadian number too.
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
Not bad for upgrading to the iPhone 5S considering that they won't let you do it without minimum $60. Just wondering if 6GB will be back when they officially launch the 5S.

Had 6GB for a few years but never went above 2GB so 2GB would be fine for me, though 6GB is always better (if for the same price :lol: )

Name display can be useful, but not something I absolutely must have...
heyyoudvd wrote: It seems that Rogers is very strict about their minimum plan requirements to qualify for a phone upgrade. Because of the switch from 3 to 2 year contracts, Rogers will no longer allow people with cheap plans to receive a hardware upgrade.


Current plan:

- 200 minutes + 6PM evenings and weekends ($17.50 grandfathered plan)
- Visual VM, CID + name display, international text ($12.79 package)
- 100 SMS, no MMS
- 6GB data ($30)

$54 all in.


Offered plan:

- Unlimited Canada-wide calling
- Visual VM, CID (but not name display)
- Unlimited SMS, MMS, video
- 2GB data

$69 all in.


Basically, I'll be paying $15 more per month, but I'll be gaining unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited SMS/MMS, but I'll be losing 4GB of data and name display.

Should I go for it?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2433 posts
305 upvotes
Joliette
beerbear9 wrote: Not bad for upgrading to the iPhone 5S considering that they won't let you do it without minimum $60. Just wondering if 6GB will be back when they officially launch the 5S.

Had 6GB for a few years but never went above 2GB so 2GB would be fine for me, though 6GB is always better (if for the same price :lol: )

Name display can be useful, but not something I absolutely must have...
They might have a promo but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything amazing
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2012
618 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Need some help.

I currently have two cell phones on my rogers account. My contract will be ending today.

I wanted them to match Koodoo manitoba plan. (Unlimited canada wide calling, 5gb data, Call waiting, VM, Unlimited texting)

They offered me the following (Family sharing plan):

Unlimited canada wide calling
6GB Data (but shared between two phones)
Unlimited texting, VM, Call waiting..

$110 for both phones plus taxes

And they will let me be on a month to month contract..

Koodoo is offering the same price but I get 5 gb each for the two phones.

Do you guys think I should take this offer or go with Koodoo?
Sr. Member
Mar 18, 2010
586 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
Man, Retentions is horrible these days! I have a $69 plan with $15 of credits every months. I called to inquire about upgrading to the 5S (I have a 5). My Flextab balance is 300 bucks. So I was told if I upgrade, I would have to pay 500 bucks as an early upgrade, plus cost of phone since my plan is not over $70. The guy didn't even want to help me out, I asked about comparable plans that would qualify me to get the phone, he proceeded to say I can give you a plan that's 79 dollars all in, and I'll throw in a 10 dollar credit... but you'd still have to pay 500 plus cost of phone to upgrade.

I don't get it, I can pay 300 to pay off my contract (phone subsidy), why should I pay 500 plus cost of phone, that's ridiculous! I told him it's cheaper for me to sell my current phone, by an unlocked phone and continue on with my contract, or better yet, it's cheaper for me to cancel and pay off my contract, and go to another company. He wouldn't explain why the $70 plan is needed, and why I'm paying 150 for early upgrade... Frustrating.

Any advice?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
14213 posts
3246 upvotes
Markham
c613m wrote: Man, Retentions is horrible these days! I have a $69 plan with $15 of credits every months. I called to inquire about upgrading to the 5S (I have a 5). My Flextab balance is 300 bucks. So I was told if I upgrade, I would have to pay 500 bucks as an early upgrade, plus cost of phone since my plan is not over $70. The guy didn't even want to help me out, I asked about comparable plans that would qualify me to get the phone, he proceeded to say I can give you a plan that's 79 dollars all in, and I'll throw in a 10 dollar credit... but you'd still have to pay 500 plus cost of phone to upgrade.

I don't get it, I can pay 300 to pay off my contract (phone subsidy), why should I pay 500 plus cost of phone, that's ridiculous! I told him it's cheaper for me to sell my current phone, by an unlocked phone and continue on with my contract, or better yet, it's cheaper for me to cancel and pay off my contract, and go to another company. He wouldn't explain why the $70 plan is needed, and why I'm paying 150 for early upgrade... Frustrating.

Any advice?
just sell your ip 5 and buy 5s right out
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Sr. Member
Mar 18, 2010
586 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
Keigotw wrote: just sell your ip 5 and buy 5s right out
Yeah I thought about that. But right now I could only get 400 for my 5, and a new 5S will be at least 800-900. If I was able to do it through Rogers (as I should be), it would be 320 + 229 + tax. So about 650 I would assume. It's about 150-200 bucks cheaper through them.

Looks like I may skip the 5S... Or cancel with Rogers, pay the 300 and go to another carrier. Problem is, all other plans are SHITE. I just want data, I could care less for calling, bare minimum is all I need for voice.
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
This does not make sense. Just call back and get another CSR.
c613m wrote: Man, Retentions is horrible these days! I have a $69 plan with $15 of credits every months. I called to inquire about upgrading to the 5S (I have a 5). My Flextab balance is 300 bucks. So I was told if I upgrade, I would have to pay 500 bucks as an early upgrade, plus cost of phone since my plan is not over $70. The guy didn't even want to help me out, I asked about comparable plans that would qualify me to get the phone, he proceeded to say I can give you a plan that's 79 dollars all in, and I'll throw in a 10 dollar credit... but you'd still have to pay 500 plus cost of phone to upgrade.

I don't get it, I can pay 300 to pay off my contract (phone subsidy), why should I pay 500 plus cost of phone, that's ridiculous! I told him it's cheaper for me to sell my current phone, by an unlocked phone and continue on with my contract, or better yet, it's cheaper for me to cancel and pay off my contract, and go to another company. He wouldn't explain why the $70 plan is needed, and why I'm paying 150 for early upgrade... Frustrating.

Any advice?
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
If your plan is going to be $10 more expensive, then you pay $10 * 24 = $240 over the whole term.
c613m wrote: Yeah I thought about that. But right now I could only get 400 for my 5, and a new 5S will be at least 800-900. If I was able to do it through Rogers (as I should be), it would be 320 + 229 + tax. So about 650 I would assume. It's about 150-200 bucks cheaper through them.

Looks like I may skip the 5S... Or cancel with Rogers, pay the 300 and go to another carrier. Problem is, all other plans are SHITE. I just want data, I could care less for calling, bare minimum is all I need for voice.
Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
67 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll be calling these guys right away as my 3 year contract is coming to an end. Probabl going to get a 5S but what is the going rate these days for a 6gb plan with minimal voice and unlimited messaging?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)