Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Dec 17, 2012
198 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
eclone wrote:
Dec 15th, 2015 8:25 pm
Final update. This is as good as it's going to get.

Just renewed my contract to keep my talk and text with 6gb plan and getting a s6 edge+ 64gb for $209 tax in.

Both reps I spoke to to place the order and to confirm details were like how??? Lol
are you now on a share everything plan with 6gb for the same price?

I am in a very similar position like you. I pay about 75$ inclusive of tax for 6gb and not sure what to do
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2006
1731 posts
323 upvotes
Just called retentions.... My credits are expiring next month.

Best rates retentions could give me BYOD:

$60 - Canada Wide Unlim + 1GB (-$5 off their standard rate)
$65 - Canada Wide Unlim + 2GB (-$10 off their standard rate)
$80 - Canada Wide Unlim + 5GB (-$10 off their standard rate)

Anyone getting anything better then this? This is insulting, been a Rogers customer 10+ years....
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1733 posts
396 upvotes
charmz wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 2:44 pm

Anyone getting anything better then this? This is insulting, been a Rogers customer 10+ years....
same plans i got...1gb and 2gb plans are same price essentially

There's other options out there for single phone users. Unless u use lots of data, and need the brand name smartphones on contract (lol) Rogers is the place to be lol
Feb 26, 2010
221 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal
kenvin100 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 4:20 pm
same plans i got...1gb and 2gb plans are same price essentially

There's other options out there for single phone users. Unless u use lots of data, and need the brand name smartphones on contract (lol) Rogers is the place to be lol
What do you suggest for single phone users that need 1-2GB of data that dont need a brand name smartphone on contract?
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18482 posts
1733 upvotes
ayaz wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 4:38 pm
What do you suggest for single phone users that need 1-2GB of data that dont need a brand name smartphone on contract?
Wait till Boxing Day for some promos. Fido had an unlimited Canada wide calling and texting with 1+1GB of data for $49 during Black Friday. We may see something similar after Christmas.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1376 posts
644 upvotes
royal98 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2015 6:54 pm
are you now on a share everything plan with 6gb for the same price?

I am in a very similar position like you. I pay about 75$ inclusive of tax for 6gb and not sure what to do
No, new contract includes keeping my grandfathered 6GB plan.
Oct 31, 2012
505 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
63 dollar plan tax in, unlimited talk and text, Canada wide, 2g, VM and caller ID. Tried to get my bill lowered or increased data or would cancel. Cancelled effective 31st. She really didn't care. Customer of over 10 years
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3202 posts
627 upvotes
kris07 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 7:49 pm
63 dollar plan tax in, unlimited talk and text, Canada wide, 2g, VM and caller ID. Tried to get my bill lowered or increased data or would cancel. Cancelled effective 31st. She really didn't care. Customer of over 10 years
If you don't want to lose your number, make certain you port out before the cancellation date.
Aug 21, 2004
87 posts
I walked into store I am currently off tab and was offered this:
Iphone 6plus for $398
Canada wide unlim $60
0.5 GB data for $20

Mind you I have 4 products with rogers (wireless+Home phone+Internet+Cable TV)

Currently I have 1000 min day time+canada and US and 150 MB data( I use wi-fi mostly) for $80

Any tips about what I should be asking for when I call?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3202 posts
627 upvotes
seen444 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 10:34 pm
I walked into store I am currently off tab and was offered this:
Iphone 6plus for $398
Canada wide unlim $60
0.5 GB data for $20

Mind you I have 4 products with rogers (wireless+Home phone+Internet+Cable TV)

Currently I have 1000 min day time+canada and US and 150 MB data( I use wi-fi mostly) for $80

Any tips about what I should be asking for when I call?
Beyond the usual "where are you located". so we can make sense of the offer, - a half gig of data on an iPhone isn't much.

Assuming you are in Ontario, the rack rate for a Canadawide calling plan with a half-gig of data on a premium tab is $80 and a 16gig 6s is $399 - so they're not doing you any favours.

You can almost certainly get them to give you some sort of concession, but not in a store - contact retentions by phone to have your discussion.

Beyond discounting, here are a couple of questions for you to consider:

What do you save in bundling discounts from the offer

First of all - do you need cross Canada calling? That costs $5/month - $60/year - $120 over the 2 year term plus taxes.
Secondly - I am not an iPhone fan, but consider that within that plan you are paying $480 over the term ($20/month) for the phone itself in addition to the $400 up front charge for a total of $880 - you can the same phone outright, unlocked for $769 from the Apple store and you'd not be tied to a contract, making you free to move your account to another carrier at your pleasure and your monthly rate would drop to $60.

Now:

There will probably be deals coming up, but:

$55 - Fido, Koodo, Virgin - all offer Unlimited Canadawide with 1 Gig of data, call display and voicemail

Wind was just bought by Shaw - if you are in Toronto and don't travel much and given the fact that they are about to build up their network big time it may make some sense to jump in before their rates get cranked up . . . . . . 5 Gigs of data and unlimited calling for $39.
Aug 21, 2004
87 posts
fredsmith wrote:
Dec 18th, 2015 5:37 am
Beyond the usual "where are you located". so we can make sense of the offer, - a half gig of data on an iPhone isn't much.

Assuming you are in Ontario, the rack rate for a Canadawide calling plan with a half-gig of data on a premium tab is $80 and a 16gig 6s is $399 - so they're not doing you any favours.

You can almost certainly get them to give you some sort of concession, but not in a store - contact retentions by phone to have your discussion.

Beyond discounting, here are a couple of questions for you to consider:

What do you save in bundling discounts from the offer

First of all - do you need cross Canada calling? That costs $5/month - $60/year - $120 over the 2 year term plus taxes.
Secondly - I am not an iPhone fan, but consider that within that plan you are paying $480 over the term ($20/month) for the phone itself in addition to the $400 up front charge for a total of $880 - you can the same phone outright, unlocked for $769 from the Apple store and you'd not be tied to a contract, making you free to move your account to another carrier at your pleasure and your monthly rate would drop to $60.

Now:

There will probably be deals coming up, but:

$55 - Fido, Koodo, Virgin - all offer Unlimited Canada Wide with 1 Gig of data, call display and voicemail

Wind was just bought by Shaw - if you are in Toronto and don't travel much and given the fact that they are about to build up their network big time it may make some sense to jump in before their rates get cranked up . . . . . . 5 Gigs of data and unlimited calling for $39.
Thanks for the reply:
I am in Toronto. I don't have much need for Canada wide, so I might as well skip that but it is part of the deal anyway. They did not tell me that Canada wide calling will cost me extra!
I am stuck with Rogers because of the Cable TV. Rogers has the most extensive collection of omni-channels that my family wants.

I guess I could move to Wind mobile but many people are saying that it is not as reliable as Rogers and Last time I checked, Wind mobile was not catering for Iphone. Did that change?
I will check the apple store for instore deals. That is a good idea
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1865 posts
116 upvotes
charmz wrote:

I'm in Toronto and was offered this option last week from rogers retentions:

Unlimited Canada Talk/Text
VM/CID/etc.
+ 1.8GB data (added free for 1 year)
$40/month (BYOD month to month plan, no tab, no contract)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1376 posts
644 upvotes
charmz wrote:

This is what CSRs are authorized to and will offer to any customer. Anything beyond will need to be negotiated with and approved by a manager.
Nov 13, 2004
134 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just offered 7gb Canada wide for $95+tax, Ontario. Also offered $100 off phone subsidized price, a credit equal to my remaining $105 device balance, and $20 activation waived. It will be a share everything plan.

My wife will merge her account and join for 45 with a device subsidy too.