Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Nov 22, 2011
773 posts
146 upvotes
Batcave
eclone wrote:
Dec 15th, 2015 8:25 pm
Final update. This is as good as it's going to get.

Just renewed my contract to keep my talk and text with 6gb plan and getting a s6 edge+ 64gb for $209 tax in.

Both reps I spoke to to place the order and to confirm details were like how??? Lol
mr_plow wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2015 10:50 pm
Good for you. I'm hoping to do the same to get my hands on a nexus 6p. They are offering it for $0 during boxing week(2 yr contract, share everything plan). i wonder if I will have any luck. Are you located in Toronto?
That's a damn good deal.

I'm also trying to get the 6P with my grandfathered 6GB plan... if that fails I think I am going to go finally jump ship and go with Wind's boxing day deal
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11945 posts
1712 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Damn, I heard robbers stopped the $5 credit off plans for month to month customers as of last week... So I guess those before the cut still has it effective and those wanting it after wont get it. Anyone verify this?? All this means is robbers shifting customers to competitors for BYOP and those completing their 2 yr commitment deals.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Dec 27, 2011
67 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
dmflash wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2015 1:28 am
Santa came early for me! Customer relations gave me the following.My old plan was 3 GB unlimited Canada wide calling ,unlimited texting and call display I was paying $85 -$10.My new plan is 5 GB unlimited Canada wide calling,unlimited texting call display and enhanced voice mail for $95-$10.For my hardware upgrade I was give a $300 credit off any device!! I was pretty much speechless when he told me that.I chose a note 5 on sale for $325 and used my last $50 worth of first reward points to cover the rest of the phone and connection fee.Also Rogers has a promotion for TV ,Internet or home phone customers upgrading their phone on a share everything plan gets a $100 bill credit in 2 or 3 billing cycles.I scored this in Ontario
Quick question, how do you use first reward points.

Can you do it over the phone with the agent or online? The customer relations agent I spoke to mentioned she couldn't do it over the phone.

Thanks
Jul 22, 2006
117 posts
6 upvotes
Hi everyone, my rogers plan is expiring by the end of the year so I gave them a call. I used to have a very bad plan so now basically anything would be better.
I'm looking at a LG G4 and I am offered this

$45
500 mb data
500 canada any time minutes,
unlimited weekend/evenings, call display, canada wide text, voice mail.
To get the LG G4 I will need to pay $99.99 (it was suppose to be $199.99 but the rep can give me $100 dollars credit for that)

I saw the Koodo LG G4 deal in this thread koodo-lg-g4-50-tab-medium-410-outright-1880841/

The equivalent plan would be their $40 dollar tier, but for the phone I will need to pay $15 dollars in addition each month for 24 months.

So assuming I am staying with the provider for 24 months. My cost is the following

Rogers
$45 * 24 + $99.99 = 1179.99 and tax on top of this (I am in BC)

Koodo
($40 + $15) * 24 + $50 = 1370 and tax on top of this.

Is my math correct? These plans fit my usage but I'm just wondering if my math is correct and if i should continue with Rogers then.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3202 posts
627 upvotes
BlazinSun wrote:
Dec 26th, 2015 5:33 pm
Hi everyone, my rogers plan is expiring by the end of the year so I gave them a call. I used to have a very bad plan so now basically anything would be better.
I'm looking at a LG G4 and I am offered this

$45
500 mb data
500 canada any time minutes,
unlimited weekend/evenings, call display, canada wide text, voice mail.
To get the LG G4 I will need to pay $99.99 (it was suppose to be $199.99 but the rep can give me $100 dollars credit for that)

I saw the Koodo LG G4 deal in this thread koodo-lg-g4-50-tab-medium-410-outright-1880841/

The equivalent plan would be their $40 dollar tier, but for the phone I will need to pay $15 dollars in addition each month for 24 months.

So assuming I am staying with the provider for 24 months. My cost is the following

Rogers
$45 * 24 + $99.99 = 1179.99 and tax on top of this (I am in BC)

Koodo
($40 + $15) * 24 + $50 = 1370 and tax on top of this.

Is my math correct? These plans fit my usage but I'm just wondering if my math is correct and if i should continue with Rogers then.

Thanks in advance.
Recheck that Rogers price - that may be the BYOD price and they may hit you up for an extra $20 (or $10, depending what province you are in) per month.
Jul 22, 2006
117 posts
6 upvotes
fredsmith wrote:
Dec 26th, 2015 6:15 pm
Recheck that Rogers price - tha may be the BYOD price and they may hit you up for an extra $20 (or $10, depending what province you are in) per month.
Hi.
When I talked with the rep she mentioned that's the price per month IF i were to get a phone with them.
We then talked about what phone I wanted and i mentioned the LG G4.
The phone price is 699.99, with the upfront of $200 (but she is able to give me a $100 credit for this). And she said 499.99 is subsidized.

I asked her what happens if i want to cancel early, she said I will pay at most 499.99/24. or possibly less, because this is not a "Share everything plan" so she would need to do some fancy calculation to get the exact value.

So it seems to me the $45 already have the device price build in...atleast that's what i hope for haha.

But assuming it really is $45 and nothing on top. Rogers would work out better for me, no?

Thanks.
Dec 27, 2011
67 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I was offered and accepted the following:

-5gb share everything plan
-$80 + tax
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for $125 + tax (price of phone was driven down with a $100 credit from Rogers and Reward Points I had)
Feb 10, 2006
931 posts
25 upvotes
Thornhill
Has anyone been able to apply the corporate 30% discount to a retention plan (i.e. 5GB BYOD $80 + 30% off)?
Total: 196 | At home: 121
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
33 posts
18 upvotes
Saint-Leonard, QC
Hi

I want to close my contract that i just sign 2 weeks ago. I can not use the remorse policy as I am over the data and then minutes. I am OK with paying the phone and keeping it but the guy from Bestbuy told me I have to stay at least 3 months before I close the contract. I am in Quebec. Is this true? Why can't I just close it right now? I would hate to pay another 240+tx.
Apr 21, 2013
40 posts
2 upvotes
Hi Guys.

So I'm currently finishing off 1 year in a 2 year contract. I like my plan, no issues there (currently have 3gb data, unlimited talk and text + Canada wide calling all for $65+ tax) - what I want/need is a new phone.
How do I go about this? Help!
Aug 29, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes
Manitoba
I'm in MB. On Christmas Eve, Rogers had a 5gb Share Everything plan but when I went to pull the trigger today, the 5gb plan is gone and has been replaced with a more $$$ 6gb plan. Any one else notice this in their province? I don't need 6GB, I would rather save the $10/mth.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3202 posts
627 upvotes
sub330 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2015 1:25 am
I'm in MB. On Christmas Eve, Rogers had a 5gb Share Everything plan but when I went to pull the trigger today, the 5gb plan is gone and has been replaced with a more $$$ 6gb plan. Any one else notice this in their province? I don't need 6GB, I would rather save the $10/mth.
That's still $15 cheaper than it is in QC and $40 cheaper than a 5 Gig plan in Ontario according to the web site AND you don't pay $10 more for a premium tab the way the rest of us do so perhaps there's a silver lining you should be seeing.

Maybe they're moving back to the overcharge and credits system they used to have because they figured out that most people don't know to ask for discounts?

The fact is that their offers are subject to change and if you didn't jump at what was being offered at the time and they decided to rearrange their plans then you have little choice but to accept what they are offering or to call in, be nice and hope you get a great CSR.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1444 posts
401 upvotes
Has anyone managed to get a device upgrade that has the Rogers government corporate plan (50 dollars for 5 gigs, 1000 minutes LD, local unlimited I think) from two years ago?

They will not subsidize a new device unless we move to the new government plan that costs at least 20 dollars a month more. This would mean that any savings on the phone would be eaten up by the increased monthly cost. When we signed the three year contract, we were told that we would be able to get a new device subsidized every two years. Rogers says they won't do that anymore because the CTRC changed how contracts work. I countered that we had a deal and that the change was irrelevant to us because the contract is still three years for corporate accounts but the rep/drone just kept repeating his talking points. The rep I bought it from said I could get a new phone by email and then when I asked about doing it a couple of months later he pulled back the curtain to show me the requirement to move to a more expensive plan. I would like to say that this mendacity is unique to Rogers but Bell is doing the same thing to us on our other contract with a great plan . . .

Has anyone had any luck getting a device subsidy with one of the 50 dollar government plans(that are now 70+ dollars) from two years ago?
Sep 17, 2008
89 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
FalconR wrote:
Dec 25th, 2015 6:36 pm
That's a damn good deal.

I'm also trying to get the 6P with my grandfathered 6GB plan... if that fails I think I am going to go finally jump ship and go with Wind's boxing day deal
Well I ended up having to take the deal I was offered. My current phone was an iPhone 5, and it has seen its last days. Can hardly type anything now (which is due to a manufactures defect. The battery overheats, expands, and pushes the screen out so I can't press the screen properly). I took it to Apple, but they said they wouldn't fix it because it was past warrenty. The price to fix was over $300. No thanks Apple.

That aside, I decided to Change to android and wanted the nexus 6p 32gb. My old plan was 3gb, unlimited local calling, text, pic/video for $55 + tax. Rogers wouldn't let me do an hup without changing my plan. And the 6p costs over $600 out right, and I'm not in a place to buy it out right.

So what I settled on was a smart tab for the phone. Costs $199 for 2 year contract. But they gave me $150 instant credit, essentially bringing the phone to $50. Plan is now 5gb share everything, unlimited local calling, text, pic/vid, 2 year Spotify subscription, etc for $62 + tax (includes 30% corporate discount). I still feel like I paid more than I wanted to .. But I could be wrong. Do you guys think it was a good deal in the end? I contemplated going to Fido, but didn't find the deals were as good.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3202 posts
627 upvotes
feminazi wrote:
Dec 27th, 2015 11:13 am
Has anyone managed to get a device upgrade that has the Rogers government corporate plan (50 dollars for 5 gigs, 1000 minutes LD, local unlimited I think) from two years ago?

They will not subsidize a new device unless we move to the new government plan that costs at least 20 dollars a month more. This would mean that any savings on the phone would be eaten up by the increased monthly cost. When we signed the three year contract, we were told that we would be able to get a new device subsidized every two years. Rogers says they won't do that anymore because the CTRC changed how contracts work. I countered that we had a deal and that the change was irrelevant to us because the contract is still three years for corporate accounts but the rep/drone just kept repeating his talking points. The rep I bought it from said I could get a new phone by email and then when I asked about doing it a couple of months later he pulled back the curtain to show me the requirement to move to a more expensive plan. I would like to say that this mendacity is unique to Rogers but Bell is doing the same thing to us on our other contract with a great plan . . .

Has anyone had any luck getting a device subsidy with one of the 50 dollar government plans(that are now 70+ dollars) from two years ago?
In most markets they charge $20/month for the subsidy - that whole 'get a phone for X dollars' promotion is bullsh*t - they charge you $480 (except on the prairies, where they charge $240) over the 2 year term for your phone in addition to whatever the up front price is.

It can be cheaper to go out and buy your own phone, and you are off the hook as far as contracts are concerned - Rogers guarantees the plan cost over the term, but without a subsidy there is nothing keeping you from leaving if another company has a better offer - not to mention that the phone you buy is likely to be unlocked.

So if they want an extra $20, go out and see if you can find the phone you want for $480 plus whatever Rogers wants for their upfront charge and enjoy.