Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18483 posts
1734 upvotes
WTF?!

I just got a letter from Rogers saying they have to raise my 6GB Super Plan $5 starting August 24. If I am on contract, I will get a $5 discount for the remainder of my contract. I am not on contract.

Blah. Bastards.

I do plan to try to get a 2 year contract when the Note7 is available so we'll see how that goes.

Anyone else get this BS letter?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Sep 26, 2007
478 posts
36 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got that letter too and will be shopping around for better BYOD deal. I don't think there is any good deal for a 6GB plan.

Haz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 9:23 pm
WTF?!

I just got a letter from Rogers saying they have to raise my 6GB Super Plan $5 starting August 24. If I am on contract, I will get a $5 discount for the remainder of my contract. I am not on contract.

Blah. Bastards.

I do plan to try to get a 2 year contract when the Note7 is available so we'll see how that goes.

Jan 15, 2006
118 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
WTF?!

Blah. Bastards.

I got the same letter. Not sure what to do. Everyone says what your paying is amazing blah blah; $88 after tax. I have 6gb data lol. All new plans are over $110. If I threaten to cancel Rogers will probably say knock yourself out. Something has to change here. I'm investigating where to take my business or see if Rogers will negotiate. Ie. I stay if you give me a free phone......
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18483 posts
1734 upvotes
jmichou wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 9:37 pm
I got that letter too and will be shopping around for better BYOD deal. I don't think there is any good deal for a 6GB plan.
Those mother truckers might just force me to give the Koodo 5GB plan a try. If not, I may tough it out till Black Friday for something like last year. I ended migrating my wife to the Fido BF 2GB $45 plan and then the 3GB $50 plan.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jul 22, 2016
8 posts
3 upvotes
Haz wrote:
WTF?!

Blah. Bastards.

I just got a letter with $5 increase as well. anyone called Retention on this? and got the $5 waived?
Jul 22, 2011
661 posts
136 upvotes
Burlington
I just called Rogers and after 4 calls came up with this.
15G share everything plan $130.00 main line and $40 for 2 byop lines and $5.00 line for vvm. I think I'm going to accept. This is for month to month as my phones are all paid.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2004 posts
292 upvotes
Ottawa
someguy2255 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 3:01 am
I just got a letter with $5 increase as well. anyone called Retention on this? and got the $5 waived?
Sounds like they're trying to jack up the price so that it makes it no longer worth your time to have the package.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Jul 1, 2009
125 posts
10 upvotes
Dundas, ON
I also received a letter with $5 price increase. I've been on month-to-month for a few years now with the following plan:
$22 - 150 daytime + unlimited weekends and evenings from 6pm + unlimited texts
$10 - Voicemail + CallerID
-$10 discount

I've noticed that they've been calling quite a bit lately in an attempt to get me to change to one of their newer plans. It's been slightly annoying without data but I tend to find WiFi most places I go. I think it's finally time to switch to a plan with data due to this price increase. I'll probably switch to another provider unless Rogers is willing to give ~1-2GB in the $40-50 range (BYOD of course).
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1052 posts
175 upvotes
The $5 increase has been going on for awhile now. Once I got off contract, they increased my price by $5, and that was almost 14 months ago. Anyways it was still worth it then as I had alot of discounts, but once all of them came ioff, my price was too much, and it was cheaper for me to just switch to Share Everything plan for 2 lines combined.

I did end up negotiating 2 iphones for each line, so its basically comes down to numbers, and what its worth.

The BYOD plans are really high anyways, and if u get a subsidy, and depends on the discount on the phone, its a decision one has to make between a contract/subsidy phone or BYOD..

Anyways good luck...
$52.xx all in..
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
2670 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver
ncnmra wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 11:27 am
I've been out of this loop for a while, but recently went on Roger's website to check out a deal for a friend. I couldn't believe my eyes. 5GB Share Everything plan is now $125 ($105 on BYOD)? What in the hell happened??? A few months ago I negotiated hard and got that plan for $80+tax, and felt like I was getting ripped off! Am I not seeing it right???

Thanks so much government for allowing this Oligopoly to continue. Funny, how Bell has the exact same plan for the exact same price!!! ROBBERY!!!!
It's $110 I think
Mar 22, 2004
245 posts
14 upvotes
London, ON
john.canad wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 3:47 pm
It's $110 I think
Ya, all the better. I think my $80 was including some sort of "loyalty" discount. Still $90 -> $110 represents 22% increase, within the last 8 months. Why? US Exchange? Terrorism? (its a rhetorical question).
Jul 28, 2010
881 posts
438 upvotes
Is it worth doing a call if I'm not a power data user like most ppl ITT? On average I use ~4GB of data, 200 msgs, and very little amount of minutes. It seems to me that this is only worth it if you want to score an unlimited data plan or the sort.
Aug 27, 2009
791 posts
162 upvotes
I just received an awesome deal but it was only because the original agent messed up and offered me something they shouldn't have and I had to talk to 8 different agents and escalate at different levels but finally got this:

My old plan was 6gb ShareEverything $89 - $10 credit - 12% bundle discount = $69.50 + tax for the line and I also got an S6 Edge on it when I first got this plan last year.

Now this is what I got:

Original Line: Changed to 7GB ShareEverything $95 - $10 credit = $85
Line 1: $50 add-on - $10 credit = $40 add-on with Note 5 for $99 ($149 - $50, wouldn't budge on more)
Line 2: $40 add-on - $10 credit = $30 add-on with LG G4 for free

Essentially it's $85 + $40 + $30 for the 3 lines = $155, but then I get a 12% bundle discount on top so it becomes $75 + $35 + $26 = $136 + tax for the 3 lines

In total I got an S6 Edge last year, Note 5 for $99 and LG G4 for free. I only got this because the original agent was new and messed up. While I was on hold with Rogers fixing that agent's mistakes (I was on the phone for 3 hours 9 minutes total today fixing this), the original agent called me EIGHT TIMES! I kept getting missed calls from Rogers while talking to Rogers so I picked up and it was that same agent, I'm guessing he realized his mistake and wanted to tell me I can't get the deal. I told him I'm talking to Rogers on the other line and to call me back in an hour. 15 minutes later I get another missed call. 10 minutes after that another missed call. 20 minutes after another missed call.

Now that I've got this deal done and finalized, I'm waiting for that guy to call me again so I can punk his ***. He hasn't called again yet though.
Mar 22, 2004
245 posts
14 upvotes
London, ON
Jotamide wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 3:57 pm
Is it worth doing a call if I'm not a power data user like most ppl ITT? On average I use ~4GB of data, 200 msgs, and very little amount of minutes. It seems to me that this is only worth it if you want to score an unlimited data plan or the sort.
My experience (several months ago) showed that it wasn't worth trying to fight it. Gone are the days of sweet talking a good deal. They are holding a hard line, and seem to just be jacking up the prices at will. In the end, I only got $10 off (better than nothing).

Is there even an unlimited data plan? I think you can elect to pay like crazy for extra GB, but I think there is always a cap. You're probably better off shopping with other carriers to see what sort of incentives they will give you to switch. Loyalty does NOT pay in this industry.
Nov 15, 2015
347 posts
480 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
NeedVIP wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 4:00 pm
I just received an awesome deal but it was only because the original agent messed up and offered me something they shouldn't have and I had to talk to 8 different agents and escalate at different levels but finally got this:

My old plan was 6gb ShareEverything $89 - $10 credit - 12% bundle discount = $69.50 + tax for the line and I also got an S6 Edge on it when I first got this plan last year.

Now this is what I got:

Original Line: Changed to 7GB ShareEverything $95 - $10 credit = $85
Line 1: $50 add-on - $10 credit = $40 add-on with Note 5 for $99 ($149 - $50, wouldn't budge on more)
Line 2: $40 add-on - $10 credit = $30 add-on with LG G4 for free

Essentially it's $85 + $40 + $30 for the 3 lines = $155, but then I get a 12% bundle discount on top so it becomes $75 + $35 + $26 = $136 + tax for the 3 lines

In total I got an S6 Edge last year, Note 5 for $99 and LG G4 for free. I only got this because the original agent was new and messed up. While I was on hold with Rogers fixing that agent's mistakes (I was on the phone for 3 hours 9 minutes total today fixing this), the original agent called me EIGHT TIMES! I kept getting missed calls from Rogers while talking to Rogers so I picked up and it was that same agent, I'm guessing he realized his mistake and wanted to tell me I can't get the deal. I told him I'm talking to Rogers on the other line and to call me back in an hour. 15 minutes later I get another missed call. 10 minutes after that another missed call. 20 minutes after another missed call.

Now that I've got this deal done and finalized, I'm waiting for that guy to call me again so I can punk his ***. He hasn't called again yet though.
Poor guy... Hopefully he didn't lose his job after that.

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 6 guests)

deepwatrcreatur, LadiesFromHouston, Mike68