Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18515 posts
1794 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 10:37 am
I suspect for those still under contract, their discounts will increase to offset the price increase and thereby their net bill would remain the same until their contract finishes and their monthly rate will then increase. They wouldn't let you off the hook that easily.
My letter said if I was on contract, the $5 increase will go into effect after the contract ends.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10651 posts
2889 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
rvs007 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 10:37 am
I suspect for those still under contract, their discounts will increase to offset the price increase and thereby their net bill would remain the same until their contract finishes and their monthly rate will then increase. They wouldn't let you off the hook that easily.
Probably right and that's what I would expect. But I never under estimate their stupidity either, especially when blinded by greed.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1060 posts
178 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 8:27 am
Is anyone that has received these increase notices still under contract? If so, then that would be a get out of jail free card in terms of getting out of your contract without a penalty. Of course that only has value of you have somewhere else to go.
I would like to think that these increase are meant for people who are either not on contract or nearing their end of contract date. When my contract was done about 2 years ago, my 6GB $30 data was increased by $5, so this is not anything new. I guess some things never change.

Good to see u back again in the hood Ceredon.......
$52.xx all in..
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18515 posts
1794 upvotes
Was just on the phone with Rogers retention seeing if anything can be done about that $5 increase on my 6GB Super Plan. While the rep couldn't do anything to stop the increase (or provide any credit) he noted that it came down today that all legacy plans older than November 2013 will not be allowed to be locked in for 2 years to get a subsidized phone under Smart Tab as of August 8. For example, I can get a Samsung S7 Edge for $750 if I lock into a 2 year agreement with my 6GB Super Plan at $65 per month.

That's not terrible but and there are other phones that can get a Smart Tab subsidy and are not listed on their website. The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus are *not* included, others may be fair game.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1060 posts
178 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 4:53 pm
Was just on the phone with Rogers retention seeing if anything can be done about that $5 increase on my 6GB Super Plan. While the rep couldn't do anything to stop the increase (or provide any credit) he noted that it came down today that all legacy plans older than November 2013 will not be allowed to be locked in for 2 years to get a subsidized phone under Smart Tab as of August 8. For example, I can get a Samsung S7 Edge for $750 if I lock into a 2 year agreement with my 6GB Super Plan at $65 per month.

That's not terrible but and there are other phones that can get a Smart Tab subsidy and are not listed on their website. The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus are *not* included, others may be fair game.
Yup, $750 for a Samsung S7 is terrible. Try getting it for cheaper than that. Even Kijiji has it for less. It is it me or it always seems like Rogers tries to get rid of Samsungs or always pushes that more than any other phones.
$52.xx all in..
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
427 upvotes
Concord, ON
theplayground wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 10:49 am
Yup, $750 for a Samsung S7 is terrible. Try getting it for cheaper than that. Even Kijiji has it for less. It is it me or it always seems like Rogers tries to get rid of Samsungs or always pushes that more than any other phones.
It's for s7 edge

Not going to get it cheaper than that new and not blacklisted on Kijiji

Samsung s7 is most popular phone right now as in highest sales ..of course they're going to push it considering the margin on it. It's always iPhone or galaxy line they push since they're the phones everybody want...you aren't going to entice anybody to sign a contract with a lg lol
Jul 22, 2011
661 posts
136 upvotes
Burlington
I just left Rogers after 15+ years for Public Mobile (which uses the Telus towers). I couldn't be any happier, and the LTE is faster than Rogers.

Province Wide Unlimited Calling - Global Unlimited Texting - 6GB Data for 90 days @ $38.00 month
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1060 posts
178 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 12:23 pm
It's for s7 edge

Not going to get it cheaper than that new and not blacklisted on Kijiji

Samsung s7 is most popular phone right now as in highest sales ..of course they're going to push it considering the margin on it. It's always iPhone or galaxy line they push since they're the phones everybody want...you aren't going to entice anybody to sign a contract with a lg lol
My point was to try to lower the price of the phone if he was to sign a contract, even if he gets to keep the plan. They do have that luxury if u push hard enough.
$52.xx all in..
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18515 posts
1794 upvotes
theplayground wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 1:32 pm
My point was to try to lower the price of the phone if he was to sign a contract, even if he gets to keep the plan. They do have that luxury if u push hard enough.
Other options were the G5 @ $400, X Performance @ $350 and 6P @ $150. Nothing earth shattering.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Dec 29, 2007
356 posts
167 upvotes
Got this email today:

Dear Valued Customer

RE: Your Rogers Wireless Number XXXXXXXXXX,

At Rogers, we're committed to offering you the highest quality of products and services. That's why we have invested $6 billion in the last three years alone in upgrades to our technology to continue bringing you the best possible wireless services and coverage.

As part of our efforts to provide the best mobile offerings, the wireless plan that you are currently subscribed to is being phased out. As a result, we will be moving you to another price plan.

These changes will take effect as of September 2, 2016. The monthly service fee for your wireless plan is increasing to $59 (plus applicable taxes). This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. Please refer to your most recent invoice for your current monthly services fees.

Your new wireless service plan will include the following features:

600 Local Voice Minutes
Unlimited Local Calling Weekends and Evenings Starting 6PM, National Rogers to Rogers Calling, Call Display, Unlimited Incoming Minutes
5GB Domestic Data
Unlimited Domestic SMS/MMS
Your Current Long Distance Calling Features
Overage Rates Where Applicable: $0.10/Min Local Voice Calling, $0.10/Min Canadian Long-Distance Calling, $0.20/Min USA Long-Distance Calling, $0.05/MB Domestic Data

If you wish to respond to this letter or have any questions, concerns or wish to modify, cancel or enhance your wireless services, please call us at 1 844 776-4377.

We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you stay connected to what matters most.

Thank you for continuing to choose Rogers.

Sincerely,
Rogers Communications
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18515 posts
1794 upvotes
noproblem wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 5:57 pm
Got this email today:

Dear Valued Customer

RE: Your Rogers Wireless Number XXXXXXXXXX,

At Rogers, we're committed to offering you the highest quality of products and services. That's why we have invested $6 billion in the last three years alone in upgrades to our technology to continue bringing you the best possible wireless services and coverage.

As part of our efforts to provide the best mobile offerings, the wireless plan that you are currently subscribed to is being phased out. As a result, we will be moving you to another price plan.

These changes will take effect as of September 2, 2016. The monthly service fee for your wireless plan is increasing to $59 (plus applicable taxes). This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. Please refer to your most recent invoice for your current monthly services fees.

Your new wireless service plan will include the following features:

600 Local Voice Minutes
Unlimited Local Calling Weekends and Evenings Starting 6PM, National Rogers to Rogers Calling, Call Display, Unlimited Incoming Minutes
5GB Domestic Data
Unlimited Domestic SMS/MMS
Your Current Long Distance Calling Features
Overage Rates Where Applicable: $0.10/Min Local Voice Calling, $0.10/Min Canadian Long-Distance Calling, $0.20/Min USA Long-Distance Calling, $0.05/MB Domestic Data

If you wish to respond to this letter or have any questions, concerns or wish to modify, cancel or enhance your wireless services, please call us at 1 844 776-4377.

We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you stay connected to what matters most.

Thank you for continuing to choose Rogers.

Sincerely,
Rogers Communications
Your plan is still decent unless of course you are adding that $10 "value pack" that doesn't seem all that much of a value since it's been going up.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
noproblem wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 5:57 pm
...As part of our efforts to provide the best mobile offerings, blah blah blah.......
you should tell them 'noproblem'
PayTM - $80
PC OPT: $4274 Ebates: $63.50
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
2414 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Received my letter today and its increasing to 59 from 50. Man we need competition in this country. Rogers is willing to increase margins at all cost.
Oct 9, 2008
344 posts
47 upvotes
Been tracking the phone prices and looks like there's a unannounced promo right now on the premium phones on the Premium tab

Save $100 on the below (I'm sure there are others but have been tracking Samsung and iPhone brands)

Samsung S7 / Edge
iPhone 6 / 6s / 6 Plus/ 6S Plus
LG G5 (now free - save $800!)

Good Luck!
Aug 12, 2010
487 posts
64 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone know if these new 'forced' plans will be eligible for device upgrade pricing? Or will we still be required to move to a Share Everything plan to get a subsidy?

Thanks.
Thanks to all at RedFlagDeals for all the great deals obtained.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)