Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Jan 21, 2012
65 posts
8 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hi!

Was reading through a number of pages and couldn't really find a good summary on what's the best you can get these days from them?

I'm on an old $30/6GB grandfathered plan, with a mixed bag of minutes and other features (not the best), and pay a little under $70 w/ tax. Some issues w/ my plan: no picture SMS included, no visual voicemail, terrible roaming and overage options. Plus the plan is still in my mother's name and they won't let me transfer it to my name unless I change to a market plan.

Does anyone know what's the best I could get from them price wise (without any particular luck)? We're longtime customers etc. Would like at least 4 or 5GB of data, preferably still 6GB?

THANK YOU!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3353 posts
1963 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Anyone gotten any credits for Note 7 to lower down the price a little? Trying to get the price even lower. I can do the $200 trade in at Samsung store. I heard my friend got a $50 bill credit, but hope for more. Gonna call in tmr and quote Telus' $200 optik deal package plus $200 trade in credit and see if they willing to budge.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3353 posts
1963 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
cleonoff wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 12:07 am
Hi!

Was reading through a number of pages and couldn't really find a good summary on what's the best you can get these days from them?

I'm on an old $30/6GB grandfathered plan, with a mixed bag of minutes and other features (not the best), and pay a little under $70 w/ tax. Some issues w/ my plan: no picture SMS included, no visual voicemail, terrible roaming and overage options. Plus the plan is still in my mother's name and they won't let me transfer it to my name unless I change to a market plan.

Does anyone know what's the best I could get from them price wise (without any particular luck)? We're longtime customers etc. Would like at least 4 or 5GB of data, preferably still 6GB?

THANK YOU!
There's no better deal than what you have unless you want a phone as well but even then you're looking to pay more. It's around 5GB for $80-100. I also wouldn't suggest transferring your name because you'll lose the "loyalty years" as they create a new account and migrate your number over. This is why they need in-market plan.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Feb 3, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Surrey, BC
Shared everything plan with the wife.

Her plan is $115 - 30% corp discount
My added line is $35

Works out to $129 including taxes/month for 9gb shared data. She uses maybe 300mb lol. The rest is mine:)

I brought my own device and she got a free s5.

Note: I cancelled my old 6gb superplan for this as it was the cheapest way for her to get to use some data. She had an old flip phone for years. Retentions would not apply my credits again on my superplan after it expired.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4642 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Your message probably helps me to plan for the price hike. We're both on CORP350 and she got notice of raise but not me. At the end, I will be getting the notice too. Therefore $59 x 2 + tax. She's consumed maybe 1GB or 2GB at most and the rest is mind :)
rmajor wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 11:23 pm
Shared everything plan with the wife.

Her plan is $115 - 30% corp discount
My added line is $35

Works out to $129 including taxes/month for 9gb shared data. She uses maybe 300mb lol. The rest is mine:)

I brought my own device and she got a free s5.

Note: I cancelled my old 6gb superplan for this as it was the cheapest way for her to get to use some data. She had an old flip phone for years. Retentions would not apply my credits again on my superplan after it expired.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Jul 5, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone,
I have a question since it seems that you folks know your stuff.
I'm on a no tab loyalty plan for wireless. We have 3 lines sharing 3GB of data, unlimited Canada minutes and text, pic and video messages. My line costs $70, line 2 is $35, line 3 is $30. I'm fine with everything as it is but the issue is that I was told that unless we switch to a tabbed plan, we'll never be allowed to upgrade our phones, even if we purchased them outright. My wife is in need of a new iPhone and I'd like to upgrade to give my son my old phone. Have you heard about a better deal?
thanks!
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11275 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
That makes no sense. If you purchase your phones, you are upgrading them. Just switch SIM cards and you're good.

air670 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 10:35 am
Hi everyone,
I'm on a no tab loyalty plan for wireless. We have 3 lines sharing 3GB of data, unlimited Canada minutes and text, pic and video messages. My line costs $70, line 2 is $35, line 3 is $30. I'm fine with everything as it is but the issue is that I was told that unless we switch to a tabbed plan, we'll never be allowed to upgrade our phones, even if we purchased them outright. My wife is in need of a new iPhone and I'd like to upgrade to give my son my old phone. Have you heard about a better deal?
thanks!
Jul 22, 2016
8 posts
3 upvotes
air670 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 10:35 am
Hi everyone,
thanks!
lol they are trying to get you to sign up for a more expensive plan. just buy an iphone from the apple store and put the old simcard in.
Sep 19, 2008
104 posts
5 upvotes
Tried calling Rogers last week to see what they could do for a customer who's been a mobile customer since the CanTel days, since they also sent me the email mentioned in the previous pages (plan would be increasing by $7+tax/month, because reasons) and even retentions/loyalty had nothing to offer except making me pay more for the same features or downgrade to a different plan to keep my same price range. Told em peace out and popped in my new public mobile sim right after receiving my unlock code. Already more satisfied with the price and service (LTE is much faster, I received my android update which was lagging behind by months on rogers). Not planning on looking back.
Jan 21, 2012
65 posts
8 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bomber17 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 2:10 pm
cleonoff wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 12:07 am
Hi!

THANK YOU!
There's no better deal than what you have unless you want a phone as well but even then you're looking to pay more. It's around 5GB for $80-100. I also wouldn't suggest transferring your name because you'll lose the "loyalty years" as they create a new account and migrate your number over. This is why they need in-market plan.
Ah, okay. I don't mind paying a bit more to modernize my plan (well, I mind a lot, but I've accepted it)... but sounds like there's nothing I can get that's even half decent.

Didn't realize loyalty years mattered. In my experience, all these years later... it doesn't count for anything. Seems like it used to—I can remember a time when retentions could actually work with you to give you something decent—but doesn't anymore.

Thank you!
Jun 21, 2013
241 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
bomber17 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 1:53 am
Anyone gotten any credits for Note 7 to lower down the price a little? Trying to get the price even lower. I can do the $200 trade in at Samsung store. I heard my friend got a $50 bill credit, but hope for more. Gonna call in tmr and quote Telus' $200 optik deal package plus $200 trade in credit and see if they willing to budge.
Best thing is to wait for Christmas deals. They gave out Crazy phone discounts last year around nov-dec.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3353 posts
1963 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
bollywoodfan wrote:
Aug 31st, 2016 1:49 pm
bomber17 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 1:53 am
Best thing is to wait for Christmas deals. They gave out Crazy phone discounts last year around nov-dec.
I got them to match the $200 off. So phone is $359. Then they told me to go in store to get the $200 trade in. So the note 7 pretty much only $159. And I don't have to go premium + tab either.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Sep 13, 2011
967 posts
123 upvotes
I called Rogers today, I got offered a "premium" plan with 5gb of data and 200$ for the s7 edge for 95$/month. But I went to bestbuy because their giving a free s7 edge with trade-in of any phone with a 2 contract.
The guys at bestbuy told me I should sign with them with a generic plan and get the free phone and then call Rogers again to switch my plan to their offer.
Does that sound right? Sounds odd to me because I'm signing a contract for one plan then have it switched to another plan, I assume I would have to pay a fee to switch plans
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3353 posts
1963 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
gotrice wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2016 4:43 pm
I called Rogers today, I got offered a "premium" plan with 5gb of data and 200$ for the s7 edge for 95$/month. But I went to bestbuy because their giving a free s7 edge with trade-in of any phone with a 2 contract.
The guys at bestbuy told me I should sign with them with a generic plan and get the free phone and then call Rogers again to switch my plan to their offer.
Does that sound right? Sounds odd to me because I'm signing a contract for one plan then have it switched to another plan, I assume I would have to pay a fee to switch plans
There's no fee to switch plans. The rep suggested this so that you can get both offers. There's nothing to lose anyways as if Rogers won't do it you can just refund it and go through rogers. But chances are rogers will do it. Just make sure you got an interaction ID from Rogers.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Aug 26, 2005
319 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for some guidance...

I'm currently with rogers and have been a rogers customer for well over 10 years. I'm currently using iphone 5s unlocked fully paid off. My current iphone is beginning to show signs of problems and I'd like to replace it. The question is should i stay stick with my super plan and do BYOD or should i sign up for a new plan?

Here is what i currently have:

$60
6 GB
200 daytime
unlimited evening/weekends after 6
my10
unlimted txt, pic, vid.

$5 value pack
$5 CID

$5 recent increase from Rogers
- $5 credit for 12 month.
70 plus hst

or
$90 (loyalty) - 2 year contract - credit towards new phone (unknown for now)
7 GB
unlimited NA calling
roam like home
all features, VM, CID, etc
$90+hst

any thoughts?