Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Nov 23, 2012
186 posts
37 upvotes
When I began to port my home phone from Roger's to Bell , Roger's called me to offer better rates. Will the same apply with cell phone porting?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1053 posts
453 upvotes
Chingyul wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:54 am
Man, worst "retention" call ever.
She just quoted back in market plan rates.
I might seriously start looking at porting to Bell where we get 30% off through corporate rates.
I guess I could also lead with that and see what Rogers offers, but I've never played the Cancel card with retentions before.
You don't have to follow through with the cancellation. Just tell them that you want to keep your phone number and you're gonna port it over. It's easier to counter retention offers with other carrier offers. Best ones are to quote corporate rates as that's pretty much the only way to get a cheaper rate and they know it.
Current Fido customer. Great to be a Fido Customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1278 posts
115 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 3:17 pm
You don't have to follow through with the cancellation. Just tell them that you want to keep your phone number and you're gonna port it over. It's easier to counter retention offers with other carrier offers. Best ones are to quote corporate rates as that's pretty much the only way to get a cheaper rate and they know it.
I've given up on Rogers now and jumped to the Koodo plan.
Haven't bought a subsidized phone since the iPhone 4 came out.
May 14, 2013
216 posts
139 upvotes
Edmonton
I moved from MB to AB late last summer and finally found a need to get a AB number to use for the access system to my new condo.

My MB Plan ($79 all-in):

Share Everything Plan (Premium Tab - got a 6S Plus 1.5 years ago)
Unlimited Nationwide Calling
6GB Data
Unlimited Txt/Picture/Video Msg
Visual VM
Call Forwarding

Apparently in AB the equivalent retention plan is $105 and without the Premium Tab it'd be $85 (oddly they don't offer 6GB in AB, they only do 5 or 7 GB). MB is on a crazy pricing structure, as I've been told by every single retention rep. So long story short, my best option was to keep my MB plan and then get a Home wireless phone with an AB number. So I worked my magic (standard *Competitor* offering me this and that when I'm not even their customer... I've been a long time customer... I like the service I'm receiving and I'd like to stay with Rogers... but you gotta throw me a bone here). I was very nice about it too... I'm always very respectful and nice to the rep and was able to get the following:

1. MB Plan - they bought out my contract to bring me on a month to month BYOD plan ($125 buyout, plan remains the same without the contractual obligation). Price becomes $60 + taxes.

2. AB Home Wireless Phone - $13/month, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling and 2500 Call Forwarding minutes. Month to month plan, no contract. Received the Home Wireless Phone device for free ($40 value - the in-store rep waived the device fee because I asked nicely)

3. $20 one-time credit

So in the end I'm pretty much paying almost the same as I was before but now have the extra AB line for letting people into my condo, and no contractual obligations... I actually don't intend on using the home wireless phone... I just setup the thing so that it forwards directly to my MB #... this way I dont need to worry about people calling me on 2 different phones (more of a convenience thing).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1317 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
kvella01 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:09 pm
Hello,

I'm currently on a $65/month+ tax ($73.45 with tax) corporate plan with rogers. It includes:

- 6 GB data
- Unlimited US/Canada Talk/Long Distance
- Unlimited Text/pic message
- Call display

Prior to September 2016, I was paying $53/month + tax (it was $30 for data + $30 for talk and text with a 20% discount) and then they raised it by $5/month but ALSO took away my 20% discount, so it amount to about a 25% increase for the exact same service, so I haven't been too happy with rogers.

Recently my phone that has been paid off for over a year is not working correctly, so I was hoping to get a hardware upgrade on my current plan, but rogers will not allow me to do this unless I upgrade to one of their crappy Share Everything Plans.

I have not done a hardware upgrade for at least 4 years, but in the past it was easy: I upgrade to a new phone, pay $300-$500 for it up front on a 2-3 year plan and keep my current plan.

Now they want to me upgrade to a share everything plan. I do receive 30% off any share everything plan available, so I could get the 5GB share everything plan for $73.50+tax/month . Then if I want a new phone (say the galaxy S8) on a tab then I would have to pay $83.50+tax/month, so nearly $100 month just for a new phone!

My current plan, even with Rogers upping it by 25% 6 months ago, is still a really good plan I believe, considering I'd have to pay a lot more for less on their share everything plans.

My question is, what is the cheapest way I would be able to get a new phone while keeping my plan or staying around this price? This is really the most I want to pay for a phone, but my current phone is not working correctly. I do not see why I cannot pay $300-$500 or so for the galaxy S8 when it comes out next month and sign a new 2 year plan on my current price point as I always have in the past.

If Rogers cannot do something next month when it is released, I will probably cancel my business with Rogers and not even have a phone. I cannot believe from a few years ago we were paying $50-$60 a month, being able to get the newest phones available, to now having to pay close to $100 or more a month just to get a new phone.
Welcome to the New World Order.

Buy your phone out or move over to the Share Everything Plans, no exceptions.

Rogers will not care if you leave, cause where will you go? Telus and Bell have the same offers.

If it's just the S8 you want, wait for Koodo to get it and jump on their Network.

Phasing out 3 years have them an excuse to increase the cost of the monthly service fee. Additionally, Ontario has no competitor unlike Quebec or the Prairie provinces.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1856 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa
I could not deal with Rogers' plans anymore so I jumped ship to Vidéotron... I am fortunate because they service Ottawa so I am able to access Quebec plans without having to do anything unusual.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1619 posts
117 upvotes
I'm currently with the 3GB and unlimited txt and call for $70 with Spotify. Do you think I can call and ask them to match Fido's current offer 3+2=5GB for $75?
May 14, 2013
216 posts
139 upvotes
Edmonton
BRAISKI wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:08 am
I'm currently with the 3GB and unlimited txt and call for $70 with Spotify. Do you think I can call and ask them to match Fido's current offer 3+2=5GB for $75?
Retentions has the ability to give "bonus GB" packs, but those packs only are good for 1 year. They come in 1 or 2 GB packs, so its worth a try.
Mar 23, 2017
1 posts
New guy here. Looking to get a better plan and save some money, as I realized that I've been paying a pretty penny for a not-so-great plan for quite some time. Living in Ontario ps.

My current plan:

Loyalty Plan LGCY Prem Tab (90$+tax)

3+1 GB Shared Data
Unlimited Shared Talk
Unlimited Shared Text
Unlimited Shared Text/Pic/Video
Unlimited Nationwide Video Call
+a few other things that aren't really important per say

I downloaded the "Renegotiate your cell phone plan - Planner & Phone Script" from Young and Thrifty which seems pretty helpful. It's asking me to find 3 plans that are a better price in Ontario so that when I call in I have some ammunition to use against the customer service agent I'm placed with.

Is this a good approach to get a cheaper plan? Are cheaper plans than mine even available from Rogers? I've been with them for many years, and I just found out that I'm month-to-month since my contract ended in November.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sep 10, 2011
6 posts
Scarborough
Just talked to Rogers, they have a limited time offer: $65 for 4GB plan (2GB plus 2GB bonus) no new device, or $55 for 1GB ongoing plan. Not sure if these are good deals or not for Ontario.

Talk & Text w/1GB - No Tab
· Unlimited Canada-wide
Weekday Minutes
· Unlimited Local Evening &
Weekend Calling (6pm - 7am)
· Unlimited Sent & Received Text,
Picture & Video Messages
· Call Display with Name Display
· Voicemail
· 2500 Call Forwarding Minutes
· Conference Calling
· Call Waiting
· LTE 1GB Internet
Last edited by jesszhen on Mar 24th, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
jesszhen wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 8:01 pm
Just talked to Rogers, they have a limited time offer: $65 for 4GB plan (2GB plus 2GB bonus) no new device, or $55 for 1GB ongoing plan. Not sure if these are good deals or not for Ontario.
Is this Share Everything Plan? Can you please list some details what's included?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27326 posts
573 upvotes
Dildo, NL
TeeJay5 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 11:23 am
Loyalty Plan LGCY Prem Tab (90$+tax)

3+1 GB Shared Data
Unlimited Shared Talk
Unlimited Shared Text
Unlimited Shared Text/Pic/Video
Unlimited Nationwide Video Call
+a few other things that aren't really important per say
wow...loyalty plan...? Why aren't you paying $55 as a new customer for the same? on the SAME NETWORK? That's what we're paying on one line.

Zoomer is incredible. Loyalty plans that actually are better than what other companies offer...and they do referrals. I've been soaking up the referrals....well...not that much really,but here and there.
www.zoomerwireless.ca
In 6 months we're gonna bump down to their 'actual' loyalty plan which'll be cheaper still!

Dude, you're getting taken to the cleaners. Cancel & wish them Good Riddance.

That's WITH a subsidized G4-or equivalent subsidized device. May be cheaper as a BYOD.
???unlim CDN air&msging???unlim Global SMS???CD/VM???8Gb???$45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Tutorial: HotLinking Pics in Posts
Oct 28, 2004
153 posts
9 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 3:17 pm
Tried to get them to match a corporate rate with Telus but they wouldn't budge. Basically just said sorry to see you go. Will be porting over to Telus today...the lesser of two evils I guess.

Currently on a premium plan with 5gb of data for $80. Need to upgrade my phone, and the only way to get the iPhone 7 for free is to upgrade to a premium plus plan for $90/month. Not terrible, but slightly better off with Telus corp plan.
Aug 30, 2016
2 posts
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I'm currently on a *grandfathered* ShareEverything 5GB LGCY Prem with Rogers and I'm trying to upgrade my device from LG G3 and trying to get a LG G6 pre-ordered.
Of course they're asking for me to upgrade my plan. I'm currently sharing this plan between 2 devices paying $115/month($65 + $50) total for the two.

The Plan consists of:
5GB Shared Data
Call Display
Unltd Shared Nationwide Calling
Unltd Shared Text/Pic/Video
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer
Unltd Nationwide Video Call

and in my opinion is a very good plan for its price.

For the LG G6, on Rogers website it says on any 2 year share everything plan you can pre-order it and get a pair of those headphones. Now since my G3 is dying I was wondering if its worth changing plans to get the G6 or out-right buying it(less emphasis on the outright buying). Or is it possible to somehow find a loophole aroune the "any" word in their website wording of t he offer

Thanks
Nov 21, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
Just got off the phone with rogers... best deal they could give me if I wanted to upgrade to the s8
5GB of data
Main line (being upgraded) $125
Second line (just under 1yr remaining on tab) $60
Third line (no tab, talk and text) 45
I would have to pay 250 for the phone... If I pay 400 up front the main line will go down to 100 but other 2 would increase to the value above... I think this is crazy... What did you guys get offered?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel