Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Sep 13, 2012
588 posts
263 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
FalconR wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 7:56 pm
I am currently deciding between these phones, both for $99: 128GB iPhone XR or 64GB iPhone X. Which one would you guys pick? The pros I personally like about each phone...

64GB iPhone X
- OLED screen (might lead to burn-in but likely not with normal usage)
- better build (dual lenses, stainless steel, etc.)

128GB iPhone XR
- newest phone; newest processor
- double the storage
- 13 hour battery life
- red color lol

___

OOTP update:

Probably going to accept the $85 10GB Prem Tab with 25% discount for the main line. Best deal they are giving me even though I don't need that much data.

I am going to tell them I am cancelling my second line since the best they can do is $40GB 4GB and then hope for a winback call. Honestly don't get why I can't get 25% off this no tab since people have gotten it thru retentions even. Luck of the draw even with OOTP...
If you’re not in a rush I would wait another couple of weeks.
Aug 5, 2014
4 posts
Scarborough, ON
hp0505 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 9:10 am
Got mine yesterday but never got any shipping notice from Rogers.
Lucky you. I called Rogers to ask what's going on with my order and was told there's a delay with the stock so I got to wait 2-3 weeks.
Nov 22, 2011
739 posts
134 upvotes
Batcave
anovak89 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:47 am

I went with the iPhone XR 128gb over the iPhone X (last years model) and I couldn't be happier after a full week of using it. I upgraded from an iPhone 7. I don't know why people complain about the screen? To me it looks amazing. The phone works super fast, no issues whatsoever, and the A12 chip is a big upgrade over the iPhone X A11 chip. Oh, and battery life, I've gone 2 full days now and I haven't plugged my phone in to charge, still have 21% to go!
Two full days of battery life is absolutely incredible. Right now my Nexus 6P dies after just 5-7 hours of basic web browsing and that's a big reason why I really need an upgrade.

I still haven't been able to compare the XR's and X's screen side by side. I can never find the newer iPhones on display and might have to make a trip to the Apple store, but people say the differences are drastic. Like you can't even play Youtube videos in 1080p!

My Nexus 6p has a fantastic OLED display imo. I did a comparison here https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... 7588#diff-*,*,* and was surprised that it has the highest resolution and density even over the X. The XR might be a big drop off for me.

Anyway, I'm really glad you like your phone! Both devices definitely have their pros, I guess it really depends on individual needs.
100Pacer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 4:09 pm

If you’re not in a rush I would wait another couple of weeks.
It just sucks using a very unreliable phone. I'm staying away from Google's flagship brands from on now since they contract to lesser known Chinese manufacturers to lower the cost (edit: looks like the new Pixel is manufactured by the same company as the iPhone...). It's too bad because I was a huge fan of Nexus/Pixel devices and stock Android with no bells and whistles. The phones were cheaper and have incredible specs (love the 6P's screen, performance and camera), but in the end I don't save much if the phone craps out in just 2 years and I am forced to upgrade. Bought iPads and iPhones for family members as gifts that still run smooth as butter which convinced me. But I digress lol.

With this cold weather my phone can die with 30% battery remaining if I need to use it outside (tried to use my camera in this weather and boom my phone shuts down). I have to charge my phone at least 3 times a day.

I may try to hold out for Boxing Day lol.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11824 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
anovak89 wrote: ↑
I went with the iPhone XR 128gb over the iPhone X (last years model) and I couldn't be happier after a full week of using it. I upgraded from an iPhone 7. I don't know why people complain about the screen? To me it looks amazing. The phone works super fast, no issues whatsoever, and the A12 chip is a big upgrade over the iPhone X A11 chip. Oh, and battery life, I've gone 2 full days now and I haven't plugged my phone in to charge, still have 21% to go!
FalconR wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:32 pm
Two full days of battery life is absolutely incredible. Right now my Nexus 6P dies after just 5-7 hours of basic web browsing and that's a big reason why I really need an upgrade.

I still haven't been able to compare the XR's and X's screen side by side. I can never find the newer iPhones on display and might have to make a trip to the Apple store, but people say the differences are drastic. Like you can't even play Youtube videos in 1080p!

My Nexus 6p has a fantastic OLED display imo. I did a comparison here https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... 7588#diff-*,*,* and was surprised that it has the highest resolution and density even over the X. The XR might be a big drop off for me.

Both devices definitely have their pros, I guess it really depends on individual needs.
Oh puleeeez... battery life is determined by how you use your fone. I upgraded to the X few days ago and after 7 hrs of usage last nite my battery is showing only 63%. This, based on how I normally use my fone. A handful of apps opening closing a ton of times, internet, news apps, a few streaming news clips, 21 min fone call, chat forum for an hr, played a youtube vid for 10 min and listening to music all at the same time. I swear if I let it down to zero % it shud go 10-11hrs total. Right now I'm on my 2nd day and as stated it's 63% leaving the fone on overnite as well. So battery life is YMMV.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 13, 2012
588 posts
263 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
FalconR wrote:
With this cold weather my phone can die with 30% battery remaining if I need to use it outside (tried to use my camera in this weather and boom my phone shuts down). I have to charge my phone at least 3 times a day.

Sounds as though your battery is on the way out. For a reasonable amount any decent phone repair shop can provide a replacement battery for peace of mind so you're not left without in case of emergency. At least this way you have a functional phone for at least another few weeks until the potential upgrade.
Aug 19, 2018
22 posts
6 upvotes
FalconR wrote:

Anyway, I'm really glad you like your phone! Both devices definitely have their pros, I guess it really depends on individual needs.

It just sucks using a very unreliable phone. I'm staying away from Google's flagship brands from on now since they contract to lesser known Chinese manufacturers to lower the cost (edit: looks like the new Pixel is manufactured by the same company as the iPhone...). It's too bad because I was a huge fan of Nexus/Pixel devices and stock Android with no bells and whistles. The phones were cheaper and have incredible specs (love the 6P's screen, performance and camera), but in the end I don't save much if the phone craps out in just 2 years and I am forced to upgrade. Bought iPads and iPhones for family members as gifts that still run smooth as butter which convinced me. But I digress lol.

You can still play YouTube videos in 1080p, it’s just that the screens actual resolution isn’t quite1080, it’s between 720 and 1080 (828p to be exact). The average person is never going to be able to tell the difference, and going from an iPhone 7 to this screen seems like an improvement to me. Check out this video to get a good idea of how well the XR screen stacks up to an actual 1080p smartphone screen:

I originally wanted an XS, but after doing my research and checking the performance bench marks, battery life, camera quality, etc, the XR was the right choice for me, especially with the 128gb storage option - 64g just isn’t enough and 256gb it too much and too expensive.
Hopefully this helps, I’m sure you’ll be happy no matter what phone you choose.
Aug 15, 2010
11 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Yesterday I got a call from Rogers retention. They offered

Galaxy Note 9 128gb for $49 ($549 - $500 activation credit)
10gb Data
Unlimited call/text/.....

$85 monthly ($60 + $25tab)
for 2 years

After that "rep" says it goes to $75 monthly

Good deal?
Currently on the koodo $60/10gb
"The type of person to buy things because its a deal........."
Sep 20, 2010
38 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
How do I get in touch with OOTP? I did the "Share a Concern" method on the Rogers website, and the Management office called me.

Gave me a kinda meh offer. From reading just the last few pages, there's so many better offers than what they gave me.

What should I do next? Submit another "Share a Concern"? Or just go to another carrier, request a port, and wait for the Rogers call?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11824 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
thelude wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 6:07 pm
Yesterday I got a call from Rogers retention. They offered

Galaxy Note 9 128gb for $49 ($549 - $500 activation credit)
10gb Data
Unlimited call/text/.....

$85 monthly ($60 + $25tab)
for 2 years

After that "rep" says it goes to $75 monthly

Good deal?
Currently on the koodo $60/10gb
Dont see why you cant get it for $0 down. There is a backend credit reps can add. Mine was an extra $75. Would cover the $49. Having said that all else being equal it's up to you whether you want to pay the extra $25/mo tab.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 13, 2012
588 posts
263 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
HerbalTylenol01 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:01 pm
How do I get in touch with OOTP? I did the "Share a Concern" method on the Rogers website, and the Management office called me.

Gave me a kinda meh offer. From reading just the last few pages, there's so many better offers than what they gave me.

What should I do next? Submit another "Share a Concern"? Or just go to another carrier, request a port, and wait for the Rogers call?
The advisor from management office will have to escalate your file to office of the President at your request.
Dec 6, 2018
2 posts
I have been rogers customer for 9 years. ontario
Offered
iPhone Xs 64GB Premium tab
$649+ tax- $255 iPhone 7 128BG trade in - $125 Credit. = $353.37
Plan 2 years for 12 GB (4 doubled to 8 plus 4 for added line)
$110 - $15 primary line
$55 - $5 Second line (we own our 2nd iPhone 7 128GB)
-25% = $108.75 / month. ($54.38 per line)
Connection fee waived
$649 instead of $859, the projected upcoming sale price based on recent black Friday sale.
Good deal?
Sep 13, 2018
8 posts
3 upvotes
anovak89 wrote: You can still play YouTube videos in 1080p, it’s just that the screens actual resolution isn’t quite1080, it’s between 720 and 1080 (828p to be exact). The average person is never going to be able to tell the difference, and going from an iPhone 7 to this screen seems like an improvement to me. Check out this video to get a good idea of how well the XR screen stacks up to an actual 1080p smartphone screen:

I originally wanted an XS, but after doing my research and checking the performance bench marks, battery life, camera quality, etc, the XR was the right choice for me, especially with the 128gb storage option - 64g just isn’t enough and 256gb it too much and too expensive.
Hopefully this helps, I’m sure you’ll be happy no matter what phone you choose.
Second this post. This is the exact same logic I used to finalize the iPhone Xr. 128 GB feels like a sweet spot for the storage on the newer iPhones. Xs 256 GB is way to expensive.
As for the screen,I think it is still pretty amazing. Agreed it might not have the same contrast ratio as the OLED’s.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1266 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a separate thread I am missing for new customers? Looking to see what the best deal is currently.
Sep 13, 2012
588 posts
263 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
desm0nd wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 1:55 pm
Is there a separate thread I am missing for new customers? Looking to see what the best deal is currently.
At this point you’d do well waiting for the holiday/Boxing Week deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2846 posts
737 upvotes
North York
I switched from Rogers to Telus EPP two months ago, as I got a 6gb BYOD canada-wide plan through my work for $67+ tax.

Rogers called me this week and offered me 10gb canada-wide for $55+ tax, so I switched back. Pretty happy with that price point ($70 a month, minus a 20% discount for 24 months)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

hovercraft