[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11592 posts
1535 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
rds544 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:51 pm
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what to do here. My current plan is

$70 month, 10GB Data, unlimited canada-wide calling, unlimited texting.

I am wanting to upgrade my phone, but in order to keep that plan I would have to purchase outright ($1300 with apple care) which I don't want to spend. If I want to keep my current plan Rogers wants something crazy like $160 a month with the subsidy on the phone.

Is there generally a lot of wiggle room if I were to call Rogers retention and ask what they can offer me? I have never been in this situation before.

Thank you !
If you want a subsidy AND stay on the premium plan they will force you to upgrade to the 10Gb/$85 plan minimum, no doubt. There is no way around this. Yes, you pay a higher upfront cost vs. say the pathetic ultra plans (stay away!) but can negotiate for the 25% off. $85 less 25% is $63.75/mo. for 2 yrs which is less than your current $70. This is about the best robbers can offer. Otherwise they are correct. Pay for the fone outright. OR if you do want to pay less upfront by going to a higher level plan then your break-even point is $93 for the plan less 25% is $70, same as what you're paying now. I was able to negotiate on the iphone X-256GB upgrade $0 down, 10GB/$85 less 25%, $15 credit for 2 yrs just before xmas with management office. Net of $48.75/mo + tx. YMMV... The next 6 mos is like the worst time to negotiate. Jan-june. All the carriers are saying nope, nope, nope. Then deals start to trickle in july onwards. It's seasonal; it's like this every year I noticed.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 13, 2012
493 posts
215 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rds544 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:51 pm
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what to do here. My current plan is

$70 month, 10GB Data, unlimited canada-wide calling, unlimited texting.

I am wanting to upgrade my phone, but in order to keep that plan I would have to purchase outright ($1300 with apple care) which I don't want to spend. If I want to keep my current plan Rogers wants something crazy like $160 a month with the subsidy on the phone.

Is there generally a lot of wiggle room if I were to call Rogers retention and ask what they can offer me? I have never been in this situation before.

Thank you !
Don't bother with Retentions. I would advise you phone Management office at (844) 410-5766 and ask what they can offer you for a phone at near to no charge while keeping your current plan. Should you like you can ask the advisor to escalate to office of the President and negotiate from there for your best options.
Jan 12, 2019
2 posts
100Pacer wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:46 pm
Don't bother with Retentions. I would advise you phone Management office at (844) 410-5766 and ask what they can offer you for a phone at near to no charge while keeping your current plan. Should you like you can ask the advisor to escalate to office of the President and negotiate from there for your best options.
Is that something that they do? I have never heard of anyone keeping plan and subsidizing so I didnt even know that was a possibility.

Thanks

Edit:
Called retention and got told that they could do $529 down, $95 a month for the same plan. Called the management office and got told $0 down, $110 a month

Still ridiculous considering that freedom offers $0 down, $85 a month for basically the same plan.
Jan 4, 2019
2 posts
Wow, is the additional 15 dollars/ month discounted for the 2 years? How did you get that?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11592 posts
1535 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
rds544 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:16 pm

Edit:
Called retention and got told that they could do $529 down, $95 a month for the same plan. Called the management office and got told $0 down, $110 a month

So you couldnt get the 25% off...

On the $110 it wud be $82.5, off the $95 it wud be $71.25, That sucks. During xmas period you wuda got that hands down.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11592 posts
1535 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
BRYSEQ wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:52 pm
Wow, is the additional 15 dollars/ month discounted for the 2 years? How did you get that?
Ancient Chinese Secret. *welp*
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11592 posts
1535 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
rds544 wrote:
Edit:

Still ridiculous considering that freedom offers $0 down, $85 a month for basically the same plan.
That depends what you want. If you're calling within a large city 95% of the time then Freedom is for you. The big 3 oligopoly will say they're unreliable, they suck, they dont have towers all across canada, they used to suck as WIND mobile, blah blah... It IS true what they say but if you can tolerate a little less in quality, service, etc then choose Freedom asap.
Sep 13, 2012
493 posts
215 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rds544 wrote:
Is that something that they do? I have never heard of anyone keeping plan and subsidizing so I didnt even know that was a possibility.

Thanks

Edit:

It is possible to maintain a plan or even downgrade to a cheaper plan with the same amount of data if not more while upgrading at no cost and no contract. It does truly depend on your specific requirements for a device and plan but having said that if you're willing to put in the work call management office back and ask to escalate to office of the President. Once you hear back from office of the President be sure to have your competing offers prepared to quote as you emphasis your tenure and payment history, last upgrade, etc. Don't hesitate to mention you'd hate to port out the number only to then have someone phone back asking you to reconsider.
Sep 13, 2012
493 posts
215 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
BRYSEQ wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:52 pm
The nice thing about having home service/s in addition to wireless service is that an advisor can get creative when he/she applies an ongoing credit to your internet or cable subscription that you know is meant to offset wireless cost but is shown on the bill separately. Don't hesitate to nudge the advisor in that direction - sometimes they need a little guidance in order to think outside the box.
Nov 10, 2013
74 posts
30 upvotes
I'm in a bit of a pickle with my new activation and was wondering if any of you had advice or what I should do in this case. I recently started a new job that has EPP discounts with Rogers, and I ordered a 128GB iPhone XR on Jan 8. The phone was $0 on a Share Everything Ultratab and they also had a promo plan that was $80.50/month Canada Wide for 2+8Gb and Unlimited everything else. I have attached a screenshot for people to see what I signed up for.

Here's my issue, my activation was held up in a pending limbo for a week, and I emailed them yesterday to see what was up. Person responded saying they were sorting out a price discrepancy and that it should be finalized by the next day (today). I check this morning, and now they're asking me to pay $169.99 upfront for the phone which is the price of the phone now on a Share Everything tab with all the holiday promos expiring. I plan to send them another email but was curious to see if you people have run into these issues before and whether they will honour promotional pricing.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Sep 13, 2012
493 posts
215 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Jonathanl10 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:50 am
I'm in a bit of a pickle with my new activation and was wondering if any of you had advice or what I should do in this case. I recently started a new job that has EPP discounts with Rogers, and I ordered a 128GB iPhone XR on Jan 8. The phone was $0 on a Share Everything Ultratab and they also had a promo plan that was $80.50/month Canada Wide for 2+8Gb and Unlimited everything else. I have attached a screenshot for people to see what I signed up for.

Here's my issue, my activation was held up in a pending limbo for a week, and I emailed them yesterday to see what was up. Person responded saying they were sorting out a price discrepancy and that it should be finalized by the next day (today). I check this morning, and now they're asking me to pay $169.99 upfront for the phone which is the price of the phone now on a Share Everything tab with all the holiday promos expiring. I plan to send them another email but was curious to see if you people have run into these issues before and whether they will honour promotional pricing.
IMO you're in a great position. For what it's worth if you have yet to do so document your original conversation with names, dates, interaction numbers, etc. then phone Management office at (844) 410-5766 and state to the advisor the exact deal you agreed upon in addition to the plan agreed upon and that you'd like confirmation the phone will be shipped at zero cost as agreed upon. If all goes well the phone is shipped out but if it doesn't go well ask to escalate the case to office of the President then send me a PM and I will guide you through the process. If they do ship the phone out today at zero cost don't say anything otherwise - just acknowledge and note the specifics as per above since you'll be following up for a goodwill credit due to the negative experience.
Mar 16, 2006
169 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
they hate me. My offers get continually worse,

I am out of contract with the the $85 10 GB premium tab( 3GB bonus).

They let me switch to no tab/no contact for $70 a month.

At least I save money until I negotiate with retentions or go to Koodo. Hope my S7 lasts.
Jul 20, 2012
48 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
My fiancée is leaving his company so he would need a new plan, ideally a good BYOD plan. I have a shared everything retention deal with my family with Rogers. Would I be able to negotiate a retention deal for him for a new account?
Nov 22, 2011
704 posts
117 upvotes
Batcave
A family member wants to add 500-1000 long distance minutes to their wireless plan. They often have friends and family from Asia calling their home phone but cell phone would be a lot more convenient. What price should we aim for?
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11592 posts
1535 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
FalconR wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 5:07 pm
A family member wants to add 500-1000 long distance minutes to their wireless plan. They often have friends and family from Asia calling their home phone but cell phone would be a lot more convenient. What price should we aim for?
What ur looking for is an add-on.

- Regular rogers voip cable homefone you're looking at International plus. $10, gives you 930 min/mos to 10 most popular destinations (excludes HongKong which sucks). But you can call robbers to see what other countries are included. China IS included. Above 930 min you get charged regular rates depending on the country.

- Wireless robbers homefone - you're looking at asian add-on pack for $5, gives you 500 min incl. every mos. Again, includes china but excludes HK.

- Cell fone $5 dollar add-on preferred text and rates. NO included minutes per mos but rates are cheap. For example China is 0.02/min and HK is 0.03/min.

*** For the above add-ons you can negotiate with management office. I was able to get Intl plus on homefone no charge for 2 years when negotiating a contract renewal and the cell fone add-on for $1, no expiry. YMMV. ***

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MonkeyTennis