Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Jan 20, 2013
177 posts
35 upvotes
I just began my contract last month in December. Premium+ Tab, 5 GB total, $90 month. Non-shared.

For reasons I won't bother getting into (part of it being promises related to promos & data), I'm INFURIATED with Rogers right now. I know I'm tied to the contract but I'm seriously considering finding someone to take it over - or just buy it out completely.

Do I even have a chance at getting a good retention offer?
Nov 17, 2018
69 posts
65 upvotes
patriots wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 9:27 pm
I just began my contract last month in December. Premium+ Tab, 5 GB total, $90 month. Non-shared.

For reasons I won't bother getting into (part of it being promises related to promos & data), I'm INFURIATED with Rogers right now. I know I'm tied to the contract but I'm seriously considering finding someone to take it over - or just buy it out completely.

you can still negotiate prices on contract, albeit a bit more difficult / tedious to do so.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1805 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
patriots wrote:

Why get upset?? You can always call mgt office to see what deals they have. You can change your plan ANY time. Just be aware if you lower the price plan it changes your tab balance. As long as you're willing to pay the increased difference in tab you're good to go. You never know... if u make a good case they may waive the difference or give some offsetting credits.

Look, there's basically 2 main ways to get a new phone without plan switching:
1. buy the fone outright, stay on the same plan
2. if you cant afford a buy out, wait till the fone goes $0 down (or credits/promo's make it go to $0 down) whilst staying on the same level plan.

Otherwise you will have to pay an upfront cost to remain on the same level plan. No doubt.

This is why I never pay anything higher than a premium plan. Premium+ on upwards is a RIP OFF. There's a 10-12 mo break-even point after which robbers profits off of you between a premium vs. premium+ for remainder of the contract. With Ultra plans, the break-even is even shorter. Robbers wins - you dont. You're better off making some deal with mgt office to pay an increased upfront cost plus credits to stay on an existing plan. Of course if you're on a no tab plan it will change to tab plan. No way around that unless you negotiate credits in the deal to make the price same/similar to what you had before on the no tab plan. The best time to make deals is during xmas season when robbers loosens the purse strings.

For example.

BEFORE: 10GB/$60 premium plan no tab, phone owned outright.
AFTER: iphone X - 256 GB, $0 down. Still on premium but tab plan 10GB/$85 less 25%. $15 CR ongoing for 24 mos. Makes my net plan $48.75.

Conclusion? New deal is $48.75, way less than $60 no tab. Both still premium plans and I basically get a free upgraded fone at a lower monthly cost.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 13, 2012
762 posts
377 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
patriots wrote:

If you're so inclined feel free to share the broken promises you referenced - could certainly parlay those issues/concerns into an escalation which you could then tie into a discussion after pricing offered and pricing going forward. I would add this involves completely bypassing any "retention" advisor and moving on up the chain. If you'd like send me a PM and I can guide you through the process.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1831 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
I currently am not on a contract with Rogers and have my own iPhone -- wondering what are the chances of getting a BYOD plan without contract at around the 4GB for $40-45 that I keep seeing mentioned in the Koodo/Fido/Virgin threads?

I've gone through a lot of pages and found only this post -> rogers-wireless-retention-plans-933329/3156/#p30260010 (I'd like the $40 for 7gb plan through OOTP)

For context, I just took over a business line from my employer and transferred it to myself but they accidentally set it up as a small business line Neutral Face I already paid the $35 activation fee so may as well stay with Rogers for the time being.
Dec 22, 2012
2 posts
Vancouver
I currently have 4 phone lines and 1 tablet (for the car) for $285.60 for a share everything plan canada wide 20GB. I know I am not getting a good deal at all, where should I start looking to better my plan? This is a BYOD plan, so I do not have a tab at all...
Aug 3, 2012
64 posts
17 upvotes
Has anyone jumped from the $60 (now $65) 10gb plan to a different plan? Curious to the other options out there.
Feb 1, 2008
13 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Kevlar92 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:26 am
Has anyone jumped from the $60 (now $65) 10gb plan to a different plan? Curious to the other options out there.
I went from the $60 10gb plan to a lower priced plan because I am not a big data user and was willing to sacrifice some data for price. I'm paying $45 for 2gb plus 2gb bonus for 1 year.
Jun 10, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 8:06 am
Why get upset?? You can always call mgt office to see what deals they have. You can change your plan ANY time. Just be aware if you lower the price plan it changes your tab balance. As long as you're willing to pay the increased difference in tab you're good to go. You never know... if u make a good case they may waive the difference or give some offsetting credits.

Look, there's basically 2 main ways to get a new phone without plan switching:
1. buy the fone outright, stay on the same plan
2. if you cant afford a buy out, wait till the fone goes $0 down (or credits/promo's make it go to $0 down) whilst staying on the same level plan.

Otherwise you will have to pay an upfront cost to remain on the same level plan. No doubt.

This is why I never pay anything higher than a premium plan. Premium+ on upwards is a RIP OFF. There's a 10-12 mo break-even point after which robbers profits off of you between a premium vs. premium+ for remainder of the contract. With Ultra plans, the break-even is even shorter. Robbers wins - you dont. You're better off making some deal with mgt office to pay an increased upfront cost plus credits to stay on an existing plan. Of course if you're on a no tab plan it will change to tab plan. No way around that unless you negotiate credits in the deal to make the price same/similar to what you had before on the no tab plan. The best time to make deals is during xmas season when robbers loosens the purse strings.

For example.

BEFORE: 10GB/$60 premium plan no tab, phone owned outright.
AFTER: iphone X - 256 GB, $0 down. Still on premium but tab plan 10GB/$85 less 25%. $15 CR ongoing for 24 mos. Makes my net plan $48.75.

Conclusion? New deal is $48.75, way less than $60 no tab. Both still premium plans and I basically get a free upgraded fone at a lower monthly cost.
Is this in Ontario? I've been calling to try and get this for the past week but no avail.... Yet.

Random note:
Unrelated but was wondering if anyone was also capable of getting a new act. For $40 4GB with Rogers/Bell? (<-- also been striking out)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1805 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Atorontomanz wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 4:16 pm
Is this in Ontario? I've been calling to try and get this for the past week but no avail.... Yet.

Ontario. Christmas season special.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1375 posts
120 upvotes
I have 10GB/$60 no tab plan since Dec 2017. Just got the Feb bill look like price increased to 10GB/$65 no tab plan. anybody have same issuers? I am going to call Rogers today to fit it.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2163 posts
368 upvotes
leadersuper699 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 6:33 am
I have 10GB/$60 no tab plan since Dec 2017. Just got the Feb bill look like price increased to 10GB/$65 no tab plan. anybody have same issuers? I am going to call Rogers today to fit it.
i'm not on the plan, but EVERYONE would have that "issue". they announced that they're upping the price for that plan a couple months ago.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1805 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
leadersuper699 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 6:33 am
It has been 2 yrs... so they guaranteed the price for 24 mos term. I dont recall them saying it was indefinite 4ever. They told me at the time that it will remain $60 until further notice. Doesnt sound like peeps have a leg to stand on.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Shatterstar_03